MorChana app will not reveal personal info, promises DES minister

webfact

Been playing with MorChana on my "spare" phone.

You can turn off BlueTooth usage is you wish, in settings.

Not sure how it reacts to setting phone permissions to "GPS only when using the application" yet.

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

For those who don't want to install MorChana in order to read them, here are the Ts&Cs.

If you are happy with the government collecting and storing such data for the duration of the pandemic (in other words forever) go ahead and install it, otherwise stick with the less invasive ThaiChana app.

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

even less invasive is LINE. On the home page of LINE on the right hand side of the search field is a symbol. Select the symbol and that brings up a QR code scanner. The ONLY information the govt gets from this is name & phone number. This is how my wife scans in and out of establishments.

7 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

even less invasive is LINE. On the home page of LINE on the right hand side of the search field is a symbol. Select the symbol and that brings up a QR code scanner. The ONLY information the govt gets from this is name & phone number. This is how my wife scans in and out of establishments.

My wife is using the camera function and the govt gets nothing

• Like 1

For those who don't want to install MorChana in order to read them, here are the Ts&Cs.

If you are happy with the government collecting and storing such data for the duration of the pandemic (in other words forever) go ahead and install it, otherwise stick with the less invasive ThaiChana app.

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

"Digital Government Development Agency"   Would that be the Chinese Government? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Promises eh .. why am I not enrushed with an overwhelming feeling of " phew that's ok then " confidence in said promise .. 

It all comes down to whether  you trust the People telling you that your Data will not be used, and is safe.

Me, I trust nobody, with anything, at any time. Specially people with people who have a dubious record at being economical with the truth.

• Like 1

Just now, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello ,

and how does a Covid-19 Track and Trace App work without collecting or sharing personal data !!!???? ???? 

How did you enter Thailand without sharing personal data?

Sharing personal data is a fact of life. The government is trying to use it in a positive way. IN THEORY, your phone number and location and time and date stamp allow them to contact you if at some later time or date, you match time and location with a person who has tested positive.

Whether it works or not I can't say, but all the hysterical raving just is ludicrous, considering Google recirds every step you take in any direction. Lazada knows all your shipping preferences. Facebook, every click on every link.

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

so basically give them access to everything ..i spend a lot of money on anti virus and tracking protection for all my family's phones .. tablet and PC..Now i can give it all to the Thai government..you could make this Sh.t up could you ..there again only corrupted officials and government would ever use it illegal..not the Thais eh 

• Like 1

I have a question now that I hope someone can answer.

There are several ways and apps to track your movement:

- Thai Chana app to scan QR code of the establishments to check-in/check-out

- a notebook and a pen to record your entry and exit manually if you have no phone with app

- QR code scanner on the phone to scan the code of Thai Chana site to check-in/check-out

- Mor Chana app to track your movements via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and GPS

- provincial apps, like CM Chana

Which of these is mandatory to use in which case? I use Thai Chana app (or QR code scanner with same effect) but not Mor Chana.

From what I understood, Mor Chana is only mandatory if you wish to travel between provinces.

If you have Mor Chana, do you still have to use Thai Chana to scan QR codes when you enter shops/restaurants/etc.?

There was another AOT app if you wanted to take a flight and you would not be allowed to board without it. Is that still the case or replaced by Mor Chana?

Information about these is changing with each announcement that comes out. Does anyone have official statement on what has to be used, in which cases, and what are actual penalties if you don't?

• Like 1

it keeps a nobody that is paid a lot of money in a job, there are a lot of such people around the world, but as I have said before this is the for runner of everybody being implanted with a micro chip, which the owners of the world banks want to happen, so be prepared

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bradiston said:

How did you enter Thailand without sharing personal data?

Sharing personal data is a fact of life. The government is trying to use it in a positive way. IN THEORY, your phone number and location and time and date stamp allow them to contact you if at some later time or date, you match time and location with a person who has tested positive.

Whether it works or not I can't say, but all the hysterical raving just is ludicrous, considering Google recirds every step you take in any direction. Lazada knows all your shipping preferences. Facebook, every click on every link.

You clearly are missing the point and you do make assumptions based on your own personal life behavior.  It’s you who are the hysterical raving person in my mind.  

Let me explain for you.   First of all. Far from all people do use Facebook, instagram and other similar platforms in their daily life. We might not use them for various reasons but I will not go deeper into that. Just assume that many of us have been working around big tech companies, intelligence services for private and government and do have have heads qualified as being smart people.

A general opinion about people not using all the normal platforms and all such systems you ate talking about,  is that they are considered to be outsiders, mobb, anti governments, conspiracy theoretics etc etc. But the truth

is a bit more complicated than that I can assure you.   

From your assumptions you almost take it for granted that people behave and think like yourself do and also have the same little need for protection like you do.  And that is your first and biggest mistake.  
You see, some of us use cash instead, withdrawing from the same place every time or use others to withdraw for us. Never uses Lazada or similar sites. And when on the internet we might be using Tor browsers, we might run our own servers, we might clean and delete our hard discs all the time, we might run Linux, VPN, block cookies and do use all privacy settings there are to eliminate being tracked by internet companies or goverment activities. We do not use Bluetooth. 
And we do not use or support any use of google like you do. 

Too many people just install app and start to use them without ever doing anything in their privacy settings.  This is at least the smallest thing any individual should be doing. Just look at Line how that is operating if you are installing it just like it is. The app used by all and believed to be safe.  It’s wild I can assure you. 

Loads of people (and growing) are getting into digital privacy issues and digital protection these days. 
And why do so many do it? I believe it’s a combination of 2-3 factors.
1 Having a strong feeling as a human being from a free world and that you want to continue to be as free as possible also in a digital world. 

2 that these people often have insight in advanced big data collection and big tech companies behavior or they have access to the same information through trustful sources. 
3 that they are smart enough to see the big picture when you put all the small pieces together. 

You will also have a good chunk of people who have been under surveillance and  threatened by various governments or institutions around the world for no good reasons. 

Actually it’s quite big fun when you are interrogated and when the authorities evidence folder is consisting of only

one page A4 of your activities online or they are having an USB stick with only

10 kB if documents. Where do we start is normally the first sentences.. ????????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

You clearly are missing the point and you do make assumptions based on your own personal life behavior.  It’s you who are the hysterical raving person in my mind.  

Let me explain for you.   First of all. Far from all people do use Facebook, instagram and other similar platforms in their daily life. We might not use them for various reasons but I will not go deeper into that. Just assume that many of us have been working around big tech companies, intelligence services for private and government and do have have heads qualified as being smart people.

A general opinion about people not using all the normal platforms and all such systems you ate talking about,  is that they are considered to be outsiders, mobb, anti governments, conspiracy theoretics etc etc. But the truth

From your assumptions you almost take it for granted that people behave and think like yourself do and also have the same little need for protection like you do.  And that is your first and biggest mistake.  
You see, some of us use cash instead, withdrawing from the same place every time or use others to withdraw for us. Never uses Lazada or similar sites. And when on the internet we might be using Tor browsers, we might run our own servers, we might clean and delete our hard discs all the time, we might run Linux, VPN, block cookies and do use all privacy settings there are to eliminate being tracked by internet companies or goverment activities. We do not use Bluetooth. 

Too many people just install app and start to use them without ever doing anything in their privacy settings.  This is at least the smallest thing any individual should be doing. Just look at Line how that is operating if you are installing it just like it is. The app used by all and believed to be safe.  It’s wild I can assure you. 

Loads of people (and growing) are getting into digital privacy issues and digital protection these days. 
1 Having a strong feeling as a human being from a free world and that you want to continue to be as free as possible also in a digital world. 

2 that these people often have insight in advanced big data collection and big tech companies behavior or they have access to the same information through trustful sources. 
3 that they are smart enough to see the big picture when you put all the small pieces together. 

You will also have a good chunk of people who have been under surveillance and  threatened by various governments or institutions around the world for no good reasons. 

Actually it’s quite big fun when you are interrogated and when the authorities evidence folder is consisting of only

10 kB if documents. Where do we start is normally the first sentences.. ????????

Sure, if you really object, you can take your own precautions. That's up to you. My argument is, you've already shared your data a thousand times, whether it's obtaining a passport, a visa, a work permit, or just a travel card, a marriage licence, a birth certificate, filling in a tm30, tm6, tm28, etc etc. The list is endless.

Use a VPN and Tor and Duck Duck Go and Ghostery. It's up to you. You're still free to do that. So what's your problem?

I've tried both with the Thai Chana app and the new one, but not very successful with installation; I would however hate if I need to change my good old, otherwise perfect working smartphone, just because of an app...????

379)IMG_9515_w-smartphone(crop).jpg.5a4ac47d44c5e61d5b660c59702ec12a.jpg

• Haha 1

how will it operate if you down load the app, so it appears on your app page to satisfy  the Cops, but you disable 'Bluetooth' and 'location'? I presume that it is then useless in terms of tracking you?  

2 hours ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

I did not look at line when installing (too new at the time)...what's it ask for/record?

45 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I did not look at line when installing (too new at the time)...what's it ask for/record?

Why don't you check it now?

Look at what Permissions are being granted.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, Crossy said:

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

Note that they will try their best to resolve the problem. That gives you confidence!!!

One wonders, when / if tourism starts to return, the Thai government will expect all tourists to have such an app?

My Thai phone would almost certainly not run it, being a very old version of Android and no longer upgradable. 

Edited by VBF

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

One wonders, when / if tourism starts to return, the Thai government will expect all tourists to have such an app?

My Thai phone would almost certainly not run it, being a very old version of Android and no longer upgradable. 

I think it said notepad and crayon drawings was also acceptable at this point if you do not have phone ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I think it said notepad and crayon drawings was also acceptable at this point if you do not have phone ????

I'd better re-train then......????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 7777 said:

My wife is using the camera function and the govt gets nothing

great attitude. not. its THIS governement who prevented a catastrophe and controled a pandemic that still wrecks the usa (currently 4000 four-thousands deaths DAILY) AND Europe (again lockdowns in several countries currently).

This governement is smart, it takes decisions based on science and uses technology, i am not sure but thats a smart way to deal with anything.

Other western countries make their halfbaked decisions based on politics, citizen sentiment, a little science, and some country is so crazy it just wants to let it rage to get "herd imunity".

You should be glad you live in Thailand during this covid crisis. and your wife? its a shame, most Thais are wonderful and act like resposible ppl during this crisis, sad to see yr Thai wife under yr influence being that way.

• Confused 1