MorChana app will not reveal personal info, promises DES minister

webfact

During the last lockdown the government gave every Thai citizen free internet for a month, my phone is a PAYG AIS 12GO, so when I leave my home I lose my internet until I get to the next bar or restaurant where I am registered, I refuse to incur further expense just to satisfy a government whim, if they want me to download and use their apps then give me, a foreigner, free internet as well.

I however, have not left my place of residence since before the New Year, not because I'm paranoid, but because I do fall Into the vulnerable group & I am trying to be a responsible citizen and try to follow the suggested guidelines. I don't want to add to the authorities burdens.

Edited by Golden Triangle

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Sure, if you really object, you can take your own precautions. That's up to you. My argument is, you've already shared your data a thousand times, whether it's obtaining a passport, a visa, a work permit, or just a travel card, a marriage licence, a birth certificate, filling in a tm30, tm6, tm28, etc etc. The list is endless.

Use a VPN and Tor and Duck Duck Go and Ghostery. It's up to you. You're still free to do that. So what's your problem?

The problem is that you don’t seem to understand all the many reasons for why people need privacy even in times like these. Often statements like yours comes from people that has nothing to protect. And also who’s personality is more comfortable to be a part of a system or in need of someone to control your life. 
Many people need constant protections as of wealth or inventions. 
If you are good for over 100 million USD, would you feel safe running around a place with 80 % corrupt officials and police?

Or take bitcoin who is still recognized as being one of the biggest threats to any country finances.  How if you are the inventor of such thing or a part of the backbone in such system?  Or if you are a whistleblower.  Or if you are under a witness protection program and with new identity. 
there are thousands or reasons and millions of people who need this protection and to all times. And not just giving it up in COVID times because of some bla bla bla guy like you.  People including me gave up some information yes.  It’s not possible in today’s world to not do.   But it’s still a lot you can do. All measurements can’t be mentioned here as it would be considering breaking the law. 

I haven’t owned a SIM card in my name the last 20 years in Thailand. I am not from the country that my Thai visa name indicates.  I am not at the IP adress I  am posting through. I just choose a peaceful place. I have enough money to pay dozens of people in thai to circulate using SIM card in their names for a few weeks. And still my phone that I completely toss away in a grinder every month is shut off 75 % of the time at any day.  And is never turned on within a mile where I sleep at night. 
does it sound stressing to you maybe? 
well it’s not. If you have the funds, the people around you and the needs it just turns into a habit of joy. ????

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

great attitude. not. its THIS governement who prevented a catastrophe and controled a pandemic that still wrecks the usa (currently 4000 four-thousands deaths DAILY) AND Europe (again lockdowns in several countries currently).

This governement is smart, it takes decisions based on science and uses technology, i am not sure but thats a smart way to deal with anything.

Other western countries make their halfbaked decisions based on politics, citizen sentiment, a little science, and some country is so crazy it just wants to let it rage to get "herd imunity".

You should be glad you live in Thailand during this covid crisis. and your wife? its a shame, most Thais are wonderful and act like resposible ppl during this crisis, sad to see yr Thai wife under yr influence being that way.

Who said my wife is Thai ?

6 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

The problem is that you don’t seem to understand all the many reasons for why people need privacy even in times like these. Often statements like yours comes from people that has nothing to protect. And also who’s personality is more comfortable to be a part of a system or in need of someone to control your life. 
Many people need constant protections as of wealth or inventions. 
If you are good for over 100 million USD, would you feel safe running around a place with 80 % corrupt officials and police?

Or take bitcoin who is still recognized as being one of the biggest threats to any country finances.  How if you are the inventor of such thing or a part of the backbone in such system?  Or if you are a whistleblower.  Or if you are under a witness protection program and with new identity. 
there are thousands or reasons and millions of people who need this protection and to all times. And not just giving it up in COVID times because of some bla bla bla guy like you.  

I haven’t owned a SIM card in my name the last 20 years in Thailand. I am not from the country that my Thai visa name indicates.  I am not at the IP adress I  am posting through. I just choose a peaceful place. I have enough money to pay dozens of people in thai to circulate using SIM card in their names for a few weeks. And still my phone that I completely toss away in a grinder every month is shut off 75 % of the time at any day.  And is never turned on within a mile where I sleep at night. 
does it sound stressing to you maybe? 
well it’s not. If you have the funds, the people around you and the needs it just turns into a habit of joy. ????

That is most definitely paranoid behaviour. ????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

An anonymous forum, spurious claims, there are some real Walters walking amongst us, next you'll be telling us it's because you were a SEAL, SAS, SBS, Royal Marine or was it a cub scout ????????????

The truth is that all you mentioned are among us weather you like it or not and want to make fun of that. 

For what it’s worth, even one of my former wives was involved in kidnapping of one of my kids. The point is that you have no clue other than details regardig your own life. 

17 hours ago, Virt said:

Can they force you to buy a phone if you travel without one? 

Impossible, it's not just adults that are on the move. It would appear that it you are traveling in a group each would require a smart phone as when you reach one's destination the group could go separate ways .

I have a standard cell phone no (WiFi),I have no use for a smart phone and I will not be purchase one. Where I travel not have a internet signal. where I live there no WiFi signal.For the tracking to be successful a Wi-Fi signal has to be present everywher free. I live in a farming village ,no internet signal. .hence no computers and Thailand is expected to come into modern day farming. No chance without internet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Impossible, it's not just adults that are on the move. It would appear that it you are traveling in a group each would require a smart phone as when you reach one's destination the group could go separate ways .

I have a standard cell phone no (WiFi),I have no use for a smart phone and I will not be purchase one. Where I travel not have a internet signal. where I live there no WiFi signal.For the tracking to be successful a Wi-Fi signal has to be present everywhere free. I live in a farming village ,no internet signal. .hence no computers and Thailand is expected to come into modern day farming. No chance without internet.

Jack Ma was here last year and he mentioned that internet  was lacking in the farming community. and they couldn't be reached.

Given they try making this into law to have it on your phone. It makes sense to install it. But I don't think the law says anything about whether or not the permissions it requires get revoked by you so the app doesn't transmit all your personal info. So if you like your privacy.. Or don't want your phone battery drained or your location being transmitted using all your data package.  You can revoke those permissions and silence the notifications and still keep the app to show anyone that demands to see it for prosecutionsor persecution. 

• Thanks 1

anyone who believes this is a fool. 

Look up Singapore TraceTogether app, similar concept. The govt promised that it would be used for anything other than covid, turns out a few days ago they admitted they been using the data to catch "criminals". 

If a country like Singapore with a generally trustable government did this, dont think for a second corrupt govts like the ones in thailand wouldnt.

19 hours ago, Virt said:

Can they force you to buy a phone if you travel without one? 

Off course they can . 

That said , you have to buy a phone , from a Goverment approved , etc ...

On 1/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, Crossy said:

For those who don't want to install MorChana in order to read them, here are the Ts&Cs.

If you are happy with the government collecting and storing such data for the duration of the pandemic (in other words forever) go ahead and install it, otherwise stick with the less invasive ThaiChana app.

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

I'll stick with writing my name and phone number on the list 3 stores today no problem 

5 hours ago, Solidpoo said:

anyone who believes this is a fool. 

Look up Singapore TraceTogether app, similar concept. The govt promised that it would be used for anything other than covid, turns out a few days ago they admitted they been using the data to catch "criminals". 

If a country like Singapore with a generally trustable government did this, dont think for a second corrupt govts like the ones in thailand wouldnt.

Spot on. And only a fool will trust any goverment from any country in today’s world as to what a government will justify to use as a tool to investigate something.  
Because today’s goverment in all countries will use any tools they have or do what ever they can to surveillance anyone. 
The problem is just, is anyone they are looking for a true criminal? 

Or do they become criminals after governments starts to intervent and make new laws.  

For Thailand this app is also just another tool in the box. Trust me. 

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Like 2

Seems like some folks were saying that this app won't know who they are. Don't you have to register your identity when you buy a SIM? They could have that on file in a database. It maps your identity to your phone number. From there they can access the residence information that you have to keep up to date as a long term resident. That is in a datbase too, probably linked with the phone database. They know who you are and where you live, for sure. Now, to me, part of personal information is where I go during a day. They have those traces and have they your identity. They have your personal information. 

The app also has access to selfies. Why, I wouldn't know. However, is it limited to only selfies or does it have access to all of the photos that are on your phone? I don't think they are going to bother identifying which of your photos are selfies so they can access only those. BTW: It is well known that any photograph of your face that is online can be mined for the purposes of creating a facial recognition database. Yeah, it sound paranoid, but the rationalization is that this is for national security purposes, so if you don't like it, you are not a patriot. The Chinese are very security conscious for example, so I am sure they are leading the way with this, plus, they probably have national ID cards and digitize passport photos that can be digitized and analyzed by AI data mining apps. 

I have also heard that some apps can access your motion sensor (fitness apps, for example). They can then make that data available for research (and other) purposes. They can find the common features in that data an generate activity profiles that identify what people are doing physically. They can determine whether someone is running, biking, or performing other physical activities, horizontal or vertical, based on what the motion sensor is recording. I knew an Italian PhD. who was working for a company that did that. He ended up getting so upset about it that he quit the position and has become something of a privacy advocate. It terrified him.

I read some Thai Facebook profiles, and a couple of the people are serious Thai nationalists and royalists. They rushed to install it because they see this as pitching in for the public good. Good for them - really. In fact, I would probably install it too. I like pitching in, and I think the horse has long ago left the barn as regards my digital identity being in the hands of a government or governments. That, and I don't go anywhere anyway.

Edited by mbenson
forgot a point I wanted to make

Saw some data on downloads, only 3 million as of Thursday so clearly the Thai public isn't jumping on this one.

App reviews are quite revealing (bad), with battery and mobile data usage issues.

The "authorities" seem to vacillate daily on this app. As of yesterday's CCSA ENglish briefing it's still NOT mandatory, but it is encouraged for "the public benefit".

I'm holding off until it is mandatory, like for entrance into an Immigration office.

• Like 1

This is just the next step in the slow authoritarian "creep" that is happening. Thailand is heading toward all things China, especially on things like this. They just have to phase it in really slowly.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Like 1

How could anyone, except the most naive amongst us, ever trust a promise from this army and administration, much less the Digital Economy and Society (DES) Minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta? Does this look like a man who has the best interest of the public at heart? They are currently monitoring nearly a million social media posts and sites, for illegal activity. What does that mean? Slave trading? Human trafficking? No. Political opposition. 

800_c1bbec1ec49f8b1.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, TigerandDog said:

she must have lots of QR code pics on her phone then, because the camera function does NOT scan.

Really ? It does not Scan ? Thats exactly the reason why my wife is doing that, because it does NOT scan. ????

• Sad 1

Given all the various government officials pushing this app daily, even the CCSA spokespeople (Taweesin, Natapanu), it would appear that the "government" wants people using it.

They'll probably start paying people to download it and install it.