Exclusive-'It's a catastrophe': Scottish fishermen halt exports due to Brexit red tape

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Once again I have no  idea what you are posting about , Conservatives. won 14 seats in the 2019 General Election out of 40 seats in Wales  so where you get your 42 number who knows

Should of course be 40.

So in your opinion 14 out of 40 seats, considerably less than the biggest party, is in your opinion 'wales voted conservative'. As I said, alternative facts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

You still don't get it that 55% is a majority?

You must be really delusional, and not worth replying to anymore

And you don't get it did the post i was replying to  mention majority NO it Didn't  Read the post that I was replying to

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I was replying to the post that stated " it was the English  voters not the other provinces that wanted the Conservatives. "

which clearly is incorrect

O, let me help you little bit, for the last time.

Scotland : total seats available 59. - SNP and Labour win 49 - Conservatives win 6

Wales : total seats available 40 . Labour wins 22 - Conservatives win 14

So they won 20 seats out of 99 available in the provinces.

In case you need some help to calculate if the provinces voted conservative

image.png.5fa1fa3e4d40cc4d040f94104cf7f5cf.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Your constant sniping at the English make your posts puerile.

How you want then to see a split in Scotish, N+S Irish and English interests + behaviour ? Nort-humbrians, Mercians, Anglians, E+S+Wessexers, Kenters etc .. ?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, puipuitom said:

When Scotland form a (con)federation with Eire, ( and maybe also Ulster and Wales), just like Belgium is, they are in the EU in a second ( just like all French overseas territories are ) 

@puipuitom this is the very first time I hear of such an idea, do you have sources about this ?

I just found a letter

I wonder is it time for the two nations – Ireland and Scotland – to put together a proposal for joint membership of the EU? With their similar population size, education systems and geography, this pair of Celtic fringe members, each located on a multi-nation island off the western coast of Europe, might get a good deal from Brussels. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/northern-ireland-brexit-dup-scotland-second-referendum-theresa-may-a8092906.html

On 1/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, champers said:

More margin in selling to foreign restaurants rather than to hard-nosed UK supermarkets. Why don't you see langoustines for sale at Asda or Morrisons?

Last time I saw langoustines was in:  Morrisons

a deal well done

Since we officially left the EU, supertrawlers including the Margiris, which is banned in Australia after being accused of depleting fish stocks, have been fishing off the coast of the UK.

Government sources said that they cannot "exclude these boats altogether", and can only currently legislate in terms of the type of fishing they do.

This means that in Marine Protected Areas (MPA) they can ban fishing methods including bottom trawling, but will not legislate in terms of the size of the vessel or its nets. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/09/supertrawlers-left-free-plunder-uk-waters-government-admits/

image.thumb.png.f1b275b651ea14df1c872e3f28bbe061.png

On 1/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, snoop1130 said:

Seafood Scotland warned they could see the “destruction of a centuries-old market” if it does not.

So they have been able to move fresh produce to France in less than a day from Scotland for centuries? Did Dick Turpin have the haulage contract?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

@puipuitom this is the very first time I hear of such an idea, do you have sources about this ?

I just found a letter

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/northern-ireland-brexit-dup-scotland-second-referendum-theresa-may-a8092906.html

Excellent Idea Why doesn't the EU start with Catalonia

Then it go do the same for Basque Country followed by Flanders, Padania in Italy,South Tyrol, In Italy, and finally

Corsica 

Beyond Catalonia: Separatist movements in Western Europe

Catalonia's regional government plans to hold its independence referendum on Sunday. But separatist movements are not unique to Spain: Several other European regions have aspirations of becoming autonomous.

As stated excellent idea and the EU could take the lead by example

Edited by vinny41
additional info

On 1/9/2021 at 1:56 AM, placeholder said:

Think the prople who earn their living from fishing would love those reduced prices, too?

Much of the lower prices could be achieved by lower logistics costs into UK supermarkets and cutting out the middlemen who do much of the exporting. Consider how Irish oysters have been going through french middleman before arriving in Thailand as an example. 

The fishermen inevitably will need certification for exports to third countries and once covid is controlled they will have great opportunities far afield too... It may be uncomfortable but many fishermen wanted Brexit too! . I wish them all every success in creating a sustainable business ahead.. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tebee said:

But, lets face it, the English have been so stupid over Brexit, it makes them an easy target...

BTW, by that I  mean not every English person, but the current government and their supporters - remember it was the English  voters not the other provinces that wanted the Conservatives. 

The voters got it wrong again tebee because they didn't vote the way you wanted them to, you must have been so dissapointed when Corbyn didn't rise to the occasion. Can you just imagine the fun we would be having if the reds had have came to power, it is a situation that none of us should even consider, even towns in the north of England turned away from voting Labour and that is after decades of voting Labour. So can we assume that liable Labour would have been your party of choice?

Democracy is not just supporting it when it goes your way tebee, or is it making it a tad more difficult for you filling in your tax return in la belle France. 

Anyway it is a good job the rest of the world, especially the US doesn't subscribe to your idea of democracy.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, vogie said:

In 2055 I doubt very much if either of us here will be around to see it, Boris is still adament that 'it will be a once in a lifetime decision' "Scotland voted 'no' and they meant it"

Remind us, who established a precedent with a 7 year interval regarding referendums on self determination?

Obviously you, like Bojo, would prefer to give more credibility to an out of context comment than legal text.

In May the people of Scotland will express their preference, and based on that outcome it will probably be up to the courts to decide if Bojo's interpretation is lawful or not.

Sub paras 1,2 & 3 Schedule 1 of the Belfast Agreement.

1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier than  seven years after 
the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule.

• Thanks 2

As has always been the case, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland get more money from the UK taxpayers  than their tax return to the Treasury, or their economics deserve and all the English get back is complaints.  There is a good case for the English to vote for separation from peoples who are holding them back?  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Should any decision that affects the whole of the EU also have been up to the whole of the EU to decide? ???? 

We were never a nation of the EU, we got out just in time, however the UK is an Island nation and as such being a democratic (I think you should look that word up) nation we all deserve a say!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

As has always been the case, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland get more money from the UK taxpayers  than their tax return to the Treasury, or their economics deserve and all the English get back is complaints.  There is a good case for the English to vote for separation from peoples who are holding them back?  

Then why do I read for months already that the English deny the Scotts independence?

They must be masochists.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Then why do I read for months already that the English deny the Scotts independence?

They must be masochists.

No, we are an island fortress of united countries, it has served us all well.....????

26 minutes ago, vogie said:

We were never a nation of the EU, we got out just in time, however the UK is an Island nation and as such being a democratic (I think you should look that word up) nation we all deserve a say!

The Italians, Germans and Irish, or the EU as a whole, could have demanded the same. Then it was good enough for you to not “being democratic” to give them a say in matters that the whole of EU affected. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

If the relationship is so imbalanced, Scotland is such a strain and all that you get in return is umbrage, why is the government so determined to keep a hold on Scotland? 

As we see so vividly, the Nasty Party will happily let ex servicemen live and die on the streets. Why then, do they refuse to give independence to a country that is only a  burden to them? 

• Like 2