Exclusive-'It's a catastrophe': Scottish fishermen halt exports due to Brexit red tape

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's just fair trade- both ways. 

One party says let's do this easily, the other says no we'll do it the hard way.  OK, it's a free world.  But don't blame the UK.

So the UK gets to enjoy the major advantage while incurring none of the expenses or responsibilities? 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, transam said:

The polls, when folk are actually in the poll station cubical, with no one looking over their shoulder, you will probably see a totally different out come, plus, I would rather listen to real Scot business people, not shield beaters, such as these guys...

Never been to Scotland, but do they have only 2 entrepreneurs, who then also seem to be brothers?

Sounds really like an unbiased story, not?

24 minutes ago, sharksy said:

The way I see it, Scotland just does anything to antagonise England.

Scotland claimed they were dragged into the EEC by England in 1973 and have complained they are being dragged out of the EU by England.

Inevitably, whenever I play Pool in Thailand and a Scot realises I'm English, it always "Scotland vs England".  I usually reply, "Whatever, I just want a game"

Reminds me of my mom, when I went to work in the UK my mother told me I was not to get involved with an English girl.  So I asked my mom if Scottish was ok (yes), Japanese was ok (yes), American (yes), Spanish (yes), etc. but not English...  I asked why and she stated we already had enough bad blood in the family (1/32) ????

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, NanLaew said:

A moribund fishing industry already in its death throes cries out...

Next?

Go to ports like Kinlochbervie and Lochinver and you'll see that the industry there is thriving. But all for export. You might find some 'fresh' prawns in Ullapool Tesco but otherwise forget it. Given how important the industry is to the region - and its complete reliance on road haulage export to Europe - it seems astonishing that it's now in the situation as reported. It's not as if no-one knew about Brexit until a fortnight ago.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:26 AM, RuamRudy said:

You say it is rubbish without offering any evidence to the contrary; seems perfectly plausible to me. Outside London and SE, Scotland is has largest GDP per capita in the UK. It is also the largest recipient of FDI in the UK. It is not perfect, but it is not the economic drain you suggest.

sorry to point this out, but London and the South East, is the majority of the population of 'England' and is the  the powerhouse not just of England but of the UK as a whole, to dismiss it in your argument is economic illiteracy and illogical. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Susco said:

Never been to Scotland, but do they have only 2 entrepreneurs, who then also seem to be brothers?

Sounds really like an unbiased story, not?

If I find more vids, from Scot non-shield beaters, I will pass them on...:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

sorry to point this out, but London and the South East, is the majority of the population of 'England' and is the  the powerhouse not just of England but of the UK as a whole, 

I completely agree.

Given that there appear to be major differences between the attitudes of Londoners and much of the population of the rest of England and Wales, perhaps it is time for London to go it alone?

Interestingly, Londoners appear to share many of the values evident in Scotland. Perhaps, we could form an alliance or, alternatively, join an organisation (in Europe?) where our needs might be met. Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sharksy said:

The way I see it, Scotland just does anything to antagonise England.

Scotland claimed they were dragged into the EEC by England in 1973 and have complained they are being dragged out of the EU by England.

Inevitably, whenever I play Pool in Thailand and a Scot realises I'm English, it always "Scotland vs England".  I usually reply, "Whatever, I just want a game"

Can you point me to the background to "Scotland claimed they were dragged into the EEC by England in 1973"?

But your anecdotal evidence certainly overrides anything I could posit, such as why do you think that we Scots obsess over England? If anything, the obsession is with the English and their persecution complex. Here's the reality - England's stupid choices in government may be the impetus, but the objective is borne of self belief, not because you are so much at the front of our thoughts that we just want to be a thorn in your side. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sorry to point this out, but London and the South East, is the majority of the population of 'England' and is the  the powerhouse not just of England but of the UK as a whole, to dismiss it in your argument is economic illiteracy and illogical. 

Please point out where I dismissed their contribution. HINT: you won't be able to because I never. 

Come at me with a cogent argument but please don't make up stories in your head, attribute them to me then accuse me of being economically illiterate or illogical because of them.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Well, those who don't support independence are well and truly in the minority so good luck with that.

Aaaaah, but that is talk on the streets, not folks actual stance in the voting booth after looking over their shoulder...:whistling:

Just now, RuamRudy said:

We will see soon enough...

I doubt it, you and your leader should spend more time sorting its woes out before the Independence thingy.

Your lot are blaming your failure on the Union, more nonsense, your lot want Independence to overcome the Corvid cost, more nonsense, want money from the UK for Brexit, more scrounging, time for your lot to face up to wasting time on Independence instead of the present populace woes............ 

1 minute ago, transam said:

I doubt it, you and your leader should spend more time sorting its woes out before the Independence thingy.

Your lot are blaming your failure on the Union, more nonsense, your lot want Independence to overcome the Corvid cost, more nonsense, want money from the UK for Brexit, more scrounging, time for your lot to face up to wasting time on Independence instead of the present populace woes............ 

We are blaming our woes on the fact that we do not get a say in how 60% of our expenditure is decided. We contest that we would make far better choices for Scotland and its people if we had the ability to decide on 100% of our expenditure. It's as simple as that.

You may dismiss independence as a waste of time. I would say that every additional minute stuck in this corrupt and incompetent union is a far greater waste of time. Thankfully the majority of Scots agree with me. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Please point out where I dismissed their contribution. HINT: you won't be able to because I never. 

Come at me with a cogent argument but please don't make up stories in your head, attribute them to me then accuse me of being economically illiterate or illogical because of them.

do you actually read your own posts? 

Outside London and SE, Scotland is has largest GDP per capita in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

do you actually read your own posts? 

In what way was my post a dismissal of their contribution to the economy? Of course, like ANY country, the capital and its surrounding areas are going to be significantly more affluent. However, my response was to this comment:

On 1/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, Pilotman said:

Goodness only knows, I would let them go tomorrow, see how they manage to survive then.  At least it would stop the constant whining by that irritating woman of theirs. 

Every other country in the world survives without being in the shadow of London and the South East. You have failed to explain why Scotland must be different. All you have subsequently offered are twisted words and insults.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

But let's face it, after reading a zillion of your posts, you are a Nationalist, if Scotland were on its knees, you would still want independence.  

lol, I don't think he has ever hidden the fact that he was a Scottish Nationalist...   Was that meant to be an insult ????

Looks like the once solid Tory support from the Scottish fishing industry is rapidly being lost. As I said previously, the Tories are trying to hurl mud at the SNP in a desperate bid to divert attention away from their failure to deliver the Brexit they promised. The following from Fishing News:

Industry fury at Brexit sell-out

UK fishing industry leaders have accused Boris Johnson and the UK government of betraying and selling out the industry to achieve a Brexit deal, as Ted Heath did 50 years ago, reports Tim Oliver.

Elspeth Macdonald, chief executive of the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, said: “This deal falls very far short of the commitments and promises that were made to the fishing industry by those at the highest level of government.

Mike Park, chief executive of the Scottish White Fish Producers’ Association, said that his members were ‘deeply aggrieved at the very challenging situation’ they face in 2021.

• Like 2

And not just in Scotland are fishermen waking up to the reality that Brexit was a con and that they have been sold a pig in a poke by city speculators:

Whitby fisherman says 'crews will be worse off in 2021 than before they left the EU'

In nearly 50 years as a fisherman Arnold Locker has seen it all. He was fishing when the UK joined the Common Market in 1973 and lived through the heartache of decommissioning and burning of boats that followed in the mid 1980s.
Mr Locker, chairman of Locker Trawlers in Whitby, and former chairman of the National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations, believes Environment Secretary George Eustice should resign.
He says ... politicians like Mr Eustice, Michael Gove and Prime Minister Boris Johnson "knew exactly what they were doing when they devastated coastal communities."

• Like 2