Exclusive-'It's a catastrophe': Scottish fishermen halt exports due to Brexit red tape

snoop1130

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Again, Scotland was never a member, it was the UK that was a member.

The fault of having difficulty exporting fish lies with the Scottish SNP leadership and no-one else.

I didn't notice the Whitby fishermen blaming Sturgeon in the article I posted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Vogie, you didn't change your rhetoric after the deal was made, you steel finger pointing at somebody else.... same same but different, before you use to blame the EU for anything and everything but now you go after the Scots " it's not us it's them "  555

I never blame the Scots for anything, I never have done nor ever will do, you see the fault lies with the SNP and not the decent Scots. But I have to admit that Mrs Sturgeon is a paradox of great magnitude, the more she deceives her parliament and her followers, the more popular she becomes, that is not to say that her luck will last forever.

And as for the EU, how can anyone take umbridge by the great deal we have been awarded, even some EU affiliated members are looking to see if they can improve on their existing deal and get a similar deal to ourselves. 

I take back everything I said about the EU, they have been nothing but fair and decent on these negotiations and I would like to wish them all the good tidings in the new year.????????????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I never blame the Scots for anything, I never have done nor ever will do, you see the fault lies with the SNP and not the decent Scots. But I have to admit that Mrs Sturgeon is a paradox of great magnitude, the more she deceives her parliament and her followers, the more popular she becomes, that is not to say that her luck will last forever.

And as for the EU, how can anyone take umbridge by the great deal we have been awarded, even some EU affiliated members are looking to see if they can improve on their existing deal and get a similar deal to ourselves. 

I take back everything I said about the EU, they have been nothing but fair and decent on these negotiations and I would like to wish them all the good tidings in the new year.????????????

Best to agree to scotland leaving the uk then. Would save you a lot of time on here posting that they shouldnt.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 2:53 PM, champers said:

Much of their exports are to restaurants, or wholesalers to restaurants, and many are closed or restricted. A blame game is being played.

That is no change....the market has shrunk due to Covud but unfortunately even if you have a customer the goods arent getting through.

It should mean cheap fush in UK, but many boats are just not going out .

On 1/12/2021 at 1:37 AM, vinny41 said:

The free-est trade is where both sides exchange goods without add-on extras

someone has apples to sell  and other side has oranges to sell

person goes into bar and orders a beer and pays for the beer

when that person ask's if he can sleep with the owner wife as an add-on extra that is considered an unfair free trade agreement

So you are saying the free-est trade is where both sides exchange goods... (which excludes 80% of the UK economy based on services)... well then you should have nothing to complain about now. 

In a domestic market (which tends to be the free-est)... the federal state is usually responsible for setting up most of the common standards and regulations that all members who are part of that domestic market must follow.  EU is a bit of a hybrid, but effectively the EU Common Market does effectively the same thing - but does allow more leeway than would be in a typical country.  These are not add-ons, these are the fundamental regulations that ensure a common standard to ensure a more fair marketplace across all participants. 

• Like 1

Oops - Sturgeon must resign! 

Brexit: Fisheries minister did not read deal as she was ‘very busy organising local Nativity trail’

Fishing minister Victoria Prentis, appearing before a House of Lords committee, admitted “things are tricky at the moment” but said her team is “working hard” to resolve issues as they arose.

During her appearance Ms Prentis raised eyebrows by telling peers she did not read the fisheries deal when it was published on Christmas Eve because she was “very busy organising the local Nativity trail”.

the interesting thing is that delays and paperwork are in fact much worse than tariffs

Scottish fishing has been plunged into crisis, as lorry-loads of live seafood and fresh fish – from salmon to monkfish and langoustines – destined for shops and restaurants in France, Spain and other countries have been rejected because they are taking too long to arrive.

the good news is: Michael Gove will take action

The Cabinet Office minister, Michael Gove, told MPs that Britain needed to secure easy access to Europe for the Scottish seafood industry. “[Regarding] the specific issue of seafood supplies, because of their perishable nature it’s absolutely vital that we ensure the smoothest possible access to European and other markets,” he said in parliament.

so is he going to change path ?

Michael Gove trolled by his own words as he makes apocalyptic Brexit vote  warning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fresh-seafood-exports-scotland-eu-halted-fishing-brexit

Our Brexiteers posters are still either very happy or blaming anyone but themselves, but I'm not sure scottish tories fishermen are so satisfied with Brexit now

image.png.b6e796ac3cb5c9eb41d2a45398ae2dce.png

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fresh-seafood-exports-scotland-eu-halted-fishing-brexit

At the same time, the UK government proposed to fast-track empty supermarket food lorries returning to Europe to reload, amid concerns that disruption at ports could lead to food supply shortages,

why do they need to fast track an empty lorry? If it's empty, customs operations shouldn't take time ?

Scottish fishermen threaten to dump rotten shellfish outside British parliament

To get fresh produce to European markets, logistics providers now have to summarise the load, giving commodity codes, product types, gross weight, number of boxes and value, plus other details. Errors can mean longer delays and French importers have also been hit by the red tape.

Fishermen in Scotland have stopped sending their boats out to fish. The Scottish government says the disruption has cost the industry millions of pounds in lost contracts, and meant lower prices at market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN29I1ON

The opposition Liberal Democrat party said the chaos was costing the industry 1 million pounds a day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

come on Vogie, what's SNP ?? is it Scot or not,  if you blame the SNP you are blaming Scotland thus Scots.

He seems to think that Scotland had the SNP forced upon it by the devil incarnate.

To the brexiteer, the people of Scotland have no will.

In PMQ's yesterday, the PM's contempt for the SNP was quite unbelievable. He had been told off by the speaker in a response to the Labour leader but when it came to the SNP leader nothing was said, brings the speaker's neutrality into question.

Bojo's contempt will do more to further the cause than the SNP.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

He seems to think that Scotland had the SNP forced upon it by the devil incarnate.

To the brexiteer, the people of Scotland have no will.

In PMQ's yesterday, the PM's contempt for the SNP was quite unbelievable. He had been told off by the speaker in a response to the Labour leader but when it came to the SNP leader nothing was said, brings the speaker's neutrality into question.

Bojo's contempt will do more to further the cause than the SNP.

Thanks for discussing me to other forum members, however, I didn't hear you complaining when John Bercow and Ian Blackford were embracing each other in the HoC, and to suggest that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is other than impartial is farcical.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Thanks for discussing me to other forum members, however, I didn't hear you complaining when John Bercow and Ian Blackford were embracing each other in the HoC, and to suggest that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is other than impartial is farcical.

Are you really trying to say the speaker does not recognise contempt when it is staring him in the face, of course ignoring it would be seen by some as being impartial, and we are all perfectly aware of who they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you really trying to say the speaker does not recognise contempt when it is staring him in the face, of course ignoring it would be seen by some as being impartial, and we are all perfectly aware of who they are.

This is not about what the speaker recognises as contempt, this is about the remainers imagining him being contemptious. Don't worry Sandy it is human nature to be biased, sometimes if someone says what you don't want to hear it may be considered as prejudiced when in fact they are just being honest.

But I think most people would agree that no-one on gods earth was as biased as John Bercow, why would an ex labour MP like Lindsey Hoyle be biased towards the Tories, I just hope now you can realise how the leavers felt when Bercow tried to stifle a democratic referendum.

So it appears that although the fishermen are not happy that they were sold a pig in a poke by the city spivs, the fish themselves are happier. 

This mix of insolence and arrogance from our third rate politicians is par for the course for the Nasty Party, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Tory MPs from fishing areas criticise government over Brexit red tape

During an urgent question on fishing, Eustice heard sustained criticism and concern over the situation from a number of Tories, including Douglas Ross, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives. Ross said he had been contacted by fishing workers in his Moray constituency and around Scotland, “raising their serious concerns and frustrations about the current situation”.

More than half a dozen English Conservative MPs representing coastal areas also expressed worries, with Steve Double, the MP for St Austell and Newquay in Cornwall, saying his local fleets “benefit little from this deal”.

Sheryll Murray, the South East Cornwall MP, quoted a local fishing business owner who said border red tape was “posing a real threat to his business”.

all is well as Rees Mogg said (sarcasm intended) 555

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-scotland-fishing/scottish-fishermen-land-fish-in-denmark-to-avoid-post-brexit-red-tape-idUKKBN29K2D2

Scottish fishermen land fish in Denmark to avoid post-Brexit red tape

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/scottish-fishermen-forced-to-sail-to-denmark-for-their-catch-after-rees-moggs-we-ve-got-our-fish-back-boast/ar-BB1cMT3Q

Scottish fishermen forced to sail to Denmark for their catch after Rees-Mogg's 'we’ve got our fish back' boast

• Like 1

Funny how the Remainers and euros are all complaining about UK fishermen's problems and now appear to be supporting fishermen. Only a couple of weeks ago they were all telling us that the fishing industry was only 0.1% of our economy and not worth bothering about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

all is well as Rees Mogg said (sarcasm intended) 555

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-scotland-fishing/scottish-fishermen-land-fish-in-denmark-to-avoid-post-brexit-red-tape-idUKKBN29K2D2

Scottish fishermen land fish in Denmark to avoid post-Brexit red tape

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/scottish-fishermen-forced-to-sail-to-denmark-for-their-catch-after-rees-moggs-we-ve-got-our-fish-back-boast/ar-BB1cMT3Q

Scottish fishermen forced to sail to Denmark for their catch after Rees-Mogg's 'we’ve got our fish back' boast

Why are remainers suddenly obsessed by fishing, they were telling us just over a month ago to give all our fish to the EU because that was the only way to get a good deal, now all of a sudden the have gone from Bitter Lemons to a Fisherman Friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1