Tesco Picalilly mustard pickles

Kenny202

Was at Tesco about 2 months ago and found 2 jars of Tesco sweet mustard pickles, or as you Brits say I think Picalilly. Was cheap too about 50 baht a jar. Bought both but since then I haven't seen it again. I found it in a really random area too, I think the wrong area. Has anyone seen it in Tesco or was it a one off thing. If so where do they normally keep it? With the sauces or with jam / peanut butter etc?

Tesco used to sell unsalted nuts and raisins , Sherbet lemons , Tesco cheese and red onion crisps , Tesco salad cream with a Union jack on it. ( best I can find in the sticks ) .

Colmans mustard in tubes ,  excellent breakfast sausages.....But alas non to be seen for 6 months or so.

I just put it down to no imports due to covid.

A lot of my favs lost.

3 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Tesco used to sell unsalted nuts and raisins , Sherbet lemons , Tesco cheese and red onion crisps , Tesco salad cream with a Union jack on it. ( best I can find in the sticks ) .

Colmans mustard in tubes ,  excellent breakfast sausages.....But alas non to be seen for 6 months or so.

A lot of my favs lost.

I love sherbet lemons ????

32 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Was at Tesco about 2 months ago and found 2 jars of Tesco sweet mustard pickles, or as you Brits say I think Picalilly. Was cheap too about 50 baht a jar. Bought both but since then I haven't seen it again. I found it in a really random area too, I think the wrong area. Has anyone seen it in Tesco or was it a one off thing. If so where do they normally keep it? With the sauces or with jam / peanut butter etc?

Make your own. It's so easy to do. All ingredients can be found in Makro.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

Tesco has been sold to CP Group. They seem to be gradually running down their  stocks of all Tesco's own brand products and many western items.

I remember when Carrefour gave up on Big C.  There were notices in the stores saying that the imported products would continue to be available.  However, within a matter of weeks, no pâtés, no cheeses, no charcuterie, no foie gras.  Sad.

3 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Hi Kenny. Google ‘Expat Foods BKK.’ They sell it.

That site appears not to have been updated since August 2019.  Are you sure they're still in business?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NE1 said:

A lot of my favs lost.

Or is it due to CP taking over? No more falang rubbish!

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Heinz , Haywods, co-op and Maison Theresa brands of Picacalilli are all on Lazada

Thanks all but I forgot to mention Tesco 50 baht a jar. I wont be paying $10-$40 a jar on Lazada that's for sure. Was one of the cheapest condiments you could buy back home, like malt vinegar. People trying to sell Picallili for 400-600 baht a jar lol

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks all but I forgot to mention Tesco 50 baht a jar. I wont be paying $10-$40 a jar on Lazada that's for sure. Was one of the cheapest condiments you could buy back home, like malt vinegar. People trying to sell Picallili for 400-600 baht a jar lol

Whilst I agree there are expensive ones there, I wouldnt call 145 baht expensive for something I wanted and missed enjoying. Especially as they had to import it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst I agree there are expensive ones there, I wouldnt call 145 baht expensive for something I wanted and missed enjoying. Especially as they had to import it.

Well like I said, Tesco was 50 baht hence I asked the question. Like another poster said its not really that hard to make.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I can make 4 jars for that money. 

As I said before, make your own. That way you can tweak the ingredients to make the taste that you want.

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I can make 4 jars for that money. 

As I said before, make your own. That way you can tweak the ingredients to make the taste that you want.

I see in the recipes call for dry mustard powder. Do they mean like hot english mustard?

31 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I see in the recipes call for dry mustard powder. Do they mean like hot english mustard?

I use the 1kg pack of mustard in Makro. It is similar to a hotdog style mustard. Works well. I spruce it up with a bit of chili powder.

I followed a recipe first couple of times then got used to the quantities and made it according to my taste.

As an example, I found that the Thai, white vinegar is quite strong so I reduced the amount and added water.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

I use the 1kg pack of mustard in Makro. It is similar to a hotdog style mustard. Works well. I spruce it up with a bit of chili powder.

I followed a recipe first couple of times then got used to the quantities and made it according to my taste.

As an example, I found that the Thai, white vinegar is quite strong so I reduced the amount and added water.

I understand. Wife uses that mustard in her restaurant. I might put in a teaspoon of powdered mustard too. I know what u mean about the vinegar too. Actually our Australian pickles is not as tart as the english picalilli. I was thinking of substituting curry powder for cummin too

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I understand. Wife uses that mustard in her restaurant. I might put in a teaspoon of powdered mustard too. I know what u mean about the vinegar too. Actually our Australian pickles is not as tart as the english picalilli. I was thinking of substituting curry powder for cummin too

I don't use either. I do put in a teaspoon or so of Tumeric and a clove of garlic. Then just mustard, vinegar and pepper. I don't add salt to the mix as the veges have already been soaked in a brine to keep the crunch.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, KannikaP said:

Or is it due to CP taking over? No more falang rubbish!

I am afraid it appears you are right. I am sure they will continue to keep Western foods but it looks like they are clearing all of their Tesco branded stuff. Was there yesterday no more Tesco tea and anything with a Tesco brand on it had a yellow clearance sticker on it. What a shame

On 1/12/2021 at 12:47 AM, Kenny202 said:

I am afraid it appears you are right. I am sure they will continue to keep Western foods but it looks like they are clearing all of their Tesco branded stuff. Was there yesterday no more Tesco tea and anything with a Tesco brand on it had a yellow clearance sticker on it. What a shame

But at least they are selling the Distilled Vinegar off too: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261781314

34 baht instore methinks.

Many items I purchased were even cheaper than in the U.K. So a rare sale.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, Kenny202 said:

Piccalilli pickle is NOT sweet.