Looking for some info to get into online English teaching

I'm now retired in Thailand on the retirement exts. Have about 25 years teaching experience in Thailand, mainly TEFL & ESP, have done the lot from kindy to uni, LCs to corporate inhouse. Been out of the profession for over 10 years now. No desire to teach in schools again but would enjoy doing some PT online work, but don't want to do anything that would effect my imm' status. 

Any suggestions/tips for me.

I am in a simar situation.  Here on retirement ext., and not going to do anything to jeopardize that.  Would like a jobby, but there are almost no part timers here.  The online thing is appealing on the surface, but the water is muddy, and there are lots of false promises, idle hours, and the usual clowns trying to make money by selling the lifestyle vs. actually doing.. there is a big overlay with the digital nomad losers.  

8 hours ago, TSF said:

I'm now retired in Thailand on the retirement exts. Have about 25 years teaching experience in Thailand, mainly TEFL & ESP, have done the lot from kindy to uni, LCs to corporate inhouse. Been out of the profession for over 10 years now. No desire to teach in schools again but would enjoy doing some PT online work, but don't want to do anything that would effect my imm' status. 

Any suggestions/tips for me.

go on goggle would be my advice, lots of Infor there. .  Nobody sensible , teaching on a Retirement Extension,  is going to reveal that on here, not if they have any sense at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking for much, don't want anything like a FT job, just an hour or 2 a day would be ideal. I'll look around Google and see what I can find.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TSF said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking for much, don't want anything like a FT job, just an hour or 2 a day would be ideal. I'll look around Google and see what I can find.

No one mentioned that C19 brought a flood of teachers to the online schools.. Spendi g a few hours per day on the stock markets will earn you much more, but good luck.. Let us know, when you get your first check... 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

No one mentioned that C19 brought a flood of teachers to the online schools.. Spendi g a few hours per day on the stock markets will earn you much more, but good luck.. Let us know, when you get your first check... 

It doesn't really matter to me. I have a pension and have considerable savings, so I'm far from desperate. It's just an idea I had to give me some interest. I do know quite a lot about TESL and know zero about stock markets, if I got involved in stock markets I would soon be desperate and without my considerable savings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

As long as you have a degree and/or your TEFL you should be fine.

Have a look on Google, there are many online schools available, mostly focusing on the Chinese market.

I know a lot of guys doing the same, making about 500 quid a month at present.

Think that's for about 30/35 hours a week.

I'd have a go myself if I could be bothered but im too busy drinking myself into my grave 😄 

I like your reply...Same here.lol

• Like 2
On 1/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

Have a look on Google, there are many online schools available, mostly focusing on the Chinese market.

I'd have a go myself if I could be bothered but im too busy drinking myself into my grave 😄 

If they are earning 500 a month for 30+ hours a week, they are doing something wrong.

Cambly, probably the easiest company to get on with, is a good choice for someone who is not sure of what time, what day, how long, etc. Lots of student from Saudi and Turkey. South Korea, Japan and China complete the top 5. Saturday and Sunday afternoon time in those countries listed will earn you a few quid.

Not great money but good flexibility.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

I know a couple of people that do it. If you really need the money to live, sure go ahead. But if it's just a hobby it will freeze your social life. They had to commit to their hours every day. Always in the evening from 4 to 8. If they wanted a day off it had to be cleared a week in advance.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

I know a couple of people that do it. If you really need the money to live, sure go ahead. But if it's just a hobby it will freeze your social life. They had to commit to their hours every day. Always in the evening from 4 to 8. If they wanted a day off it had to be cleared a week in advance.  

Not every company is like that. I have a friend who teaches online and he picks his own days and times, never teaches after 4pm and has at least one day off a week.

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

dang...that's it for 33/hours a week?

On 1/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, TSF said:

So, money is not an issue and you are just looking for something to do?  In teaching field only?  or anything online?

**And do you have a FB account or willing to get one?

• Like 1