Looking for some info to get into online English teaching

TSF

I'm now retired in Thailand on the retirement exts. Have about 25 years teaching experience in Thailand, mainly TEFL & ESP, have done the lot from kindy to uni, LCs to corporate inhouse. Been out of the profession for over 10 years now. No desire to teach in schools again but would enjoy doing some PT online work, but don't want to do anything that would effect my imm' status. 

Any suggestions/tips for me.

I am in a simar situation.  Here on retirement ext., and not going to do anything to jeopardize that.  Would like a jobby, but there are almost no part timers here.  The online thing is appealing on the surface, but the water is muddy, and there are lots of false promises, idle hours, and the usual clowns trying to make money by selling the lifestyle vs. actually doing.. there is a big overlay with the digital nomad losers.  

8 hours ago, TSF said:

I'm now retired in Thailand on the retirement exts. Have about 25 years teaching experience in Thailand, mainly TEFL & ESP, have done the lot from kindy to uni, LCs to corporate inhouse. Been out of the profession for over 10 years now. No desire to teach in schools again but would enjoy doing some PT online work, but don't want to do anything that would effect my imm' status. 

Any suggestions/tips for me.

go on goggle would be my advice, lots of Infor there. .  Nobody sensible , teaching on a Retirement Extension,  is going to reveal that on here, not if they have any sense at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking for much, don't want anything like a FT job, just an hour or 2 a day would be ideal. I'll look around Google and see what I can find.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TSF said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking for much, don't want anything like a FT job, just an hour or 2 a day would be ideal. I'll look around Google and see what I can find.

No one mentioned that C19 brought a flood of teachers to the online schools.. Spendi g a few hours per day on the stock markets will earn you much more, but good luck.. Let us know, when you get your first check... 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

No one mentioned that C19 brought a flood of teachers to the online schools.. Spendi g a few hours per day on the stock markets will earn you much more, but good luck.. Let us know, when you get your first check... 

It doesn't really matter to me. I have a pension and have considerable savings, so I'm far from desperate. It's just an idea I had to give me some interest. I do know quite a lot about TESL and know zero about stock markets, if I got involved in stock markets I would soon be desperate and without my considerable savings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

As long as you have a degree and/or your TEFL you should be fine.

Have a look on Google, there are many online schools available, mostly focusing on the Chinese market.

I know a lot of guys doing the same, making about 500 quid a month at present.

Think that's for about 30/35 hours a week.

I'd have a go myself if I could be bothered but im too busy drinking myself into my grave ???? 

I like your reply...Same here.lol

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

Have a look on Google, there are many online schools available, mostly focusing on the Chinese market.

I'd have a go myself if I could be bothered but im too busy drinking myself into my grave ???? 

If they are earning 500 a month for 30+ hours a week, they are doing something wrong.

Cambly, probably the easiest company to get on with, is a good choice for someone who is not sure of what time, what day, how long, etc. Lots of student from Saudi and Turkey. South Korea, Japan and China complete the top 5. Saturday and Sunday afternoon time in those countries listed will earn you a few quid.

Not great money but good flexibility.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

I know a couple of people that do it. If you really need the money to live, sure go ahead. But if it's just a hobby it will freeze your social life. They had to commit to their hours every day. Always in the evening from 4 to 8. If they wanted a day off it had to be cleared a week in advance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

I know a couple of people that do it. If you really need the money to live, sure go ahead. But if it's just a hobby it will freeze your social life. They had to commit to their hours every day. Always in the evening from 4 to 8. If they wanted a day off it had to be cleared a week in advance.  

Not every company is like that. I have a friend who teaches online and he picks his own days and times, never teaches after 4pm and has at least one day off a week.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

dang...that's it for 33/hours a week?

On 1/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, TSF said:

So, money is not an issue and you are just looking for something to do?  In teaching field only?  or anything online?

**And do you have a FB account or willing to get one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

So, money is not an issue and you are just looking for something to do?  In teaching field only?  or anything online?

**And do you have a FB account or willing to get one?

I wouldn't say money is not an issue, I certainly could use some more, just I'm not desperate. I could consider anything online, provided I felt confident, I'm only looking at teaching as it's something I've done for many years and know what I'm doing. Yes I do have a FB account. If you have some plan/ideas that may interest me then send me a PM and we can look at it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, puchooay said:

If they are earning 500 a month for 30+ hours a week, they are doing something wrong.

Cambly, probably the easiest company to get on with, is a good choice for someone who is not sure of what time, what day, how long, etc. Lots of student from Saudi and Turkey. South Korea, Japan and China complete the top 5. Saturday and Sunday afternoon time in those countries listed will earn you a few quid.

Not great money but good flexibility.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look Cambly up.

6 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Not an issue, I'm living out in the boonies of rural Korat, it wouldn't matter to me if I taught 2-3 hours at 3pm or 3am, my social life is me sitting alone with a bottle of Heineken and a bowl of salted peanuts. If I have to commit to 4-8pm I'll crack my first coldie for the day at 8.30pm. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TSF said:

I wouldn't say money is not an issue, I certainly could use some more, just I'm not desperate. I could consider anything online, provided I felt confident, I'm only looking at teaching as it's something I've done for many years and know what I'm doing. Yes I do have a FB account. If you have some plan/ideas that may interest me then send me a PM and we can look at it.

At the moment, I don't have anything personally.

But there are sites like Upwork and Freelancer that you could post your skill sets and what hourly you'd like to earn...and take jobs at leisure.  Or you could apply for jobs. 

________
But already being comfortable with what you do, teach English.  I'd make some posts on your timeline, FB marketplace, and "local" groups that you are starting a tutoring service, and of course outline your experience as you have here...and I'm 99% sure after a week or two you'd have a few students.

For engagement purposes on FB just to get the ball rolling, you could offer X hours for free for one student or just volunteer your service for one student so you get some bites you can follow up on.

*I'd actually start a free FB group (English for Chinese Made Easy?). where you invite these people in and you give some free lessons to the group weekly.  Then softsell at end of each lesson that you offer more hands on lessons for $xx

This way you set your terms, your time available, $$, guarantees, who you work with, if you want to fire them as clients, etc etc..

If you get enough interest, you then do Group coaching.  Make more money for less time involved.

Get more ambitious? record your sessions and make them planned...so eventually you could put them together as modules in your very own English course you could sell for some extra Heinekins.  Zero extra work from what you are doing already while tutoring, only you are creating assets the first time you do the lessons ???? that can be repurposed.

You really are in a prime position having no "needs" and having a skill backed up with credentials.

I might have just made it all seem difficult?  If so, all you need to do to start is drop a post with your teaching offer on your own timeline and see how many bites you get.

My team has closed 8 figures in USD the past year with this model in FB an expanded scale.  It works very well at the moment.

If you have any questions, just leave them here or feel free to PM me.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

At the moment, I don't have anything personally.

But there are sites like Upwork and Freelancer that you could post your skill sets and what hourly you'd like to earn...and take jobs at leisure.  Or you could apply for jobs. 

________
But already being comfortable with what you do, teach English.  I'd make some posts on your timeline, FB marketplace, and "local" groups that you are starting a tutoring service, and of course outline your experience as you have here...and I'm 99% sure after a week or two you'd have a few students.

For engagement purposes on FB just to get the ball rolling, you could offer X hours for free for one student or just volunteer your service for one student so you get some bites you can follow up on.

*I'd actually start a free FB group (English for Chinese Made Easy?). where you invite these people in and you give some free lessons to the group weekly.  Then softsell at end of each lesson that you offer more hands on lessons for $xx

This way you set your terms, your time available, $$, guarantees, who you work with, if you want to fire them as clients, etc etc..

If you get enough interest, you then do Group coaching.  Make more money for less time involved.

Get more ambitious? record your sessions and make them planned...so eventually you could put them together as modules in your very own English course you could sell for some extra Heinekins.  Zero extra work from what you are doing already while tutoring, only you are creating assets the first time you do the lessons ???? that can be repurposed.

You really are in a prime position having no "needs" and having a skill backed up with credentials.

I might have just made it all seem difficult?  If so, all you need to do to start is drop a post with your teaching offer on your own timeline and see how many bites you get.

My team has closed 8 figures in USD the past year with this model in FB an expanded scale.  It works very well at the moment.

If you have any questions, just leave them here or feel free to PM me.  

Very interesting and many thanks for informing me. I do have my FB account, however it my personal FB with lots of photos of my wife and myself on holidays and sitting in restaurants with bottles of Heineken on the tables, so if I was to go ahead with your idea I'll need to open another "professional" FB account. I'll mull over what you have outlined here, also I'll look at Upwork and Freelancer. I have done some editing for Thais in the past, and that is another possibility. I also worked for many years in journalism, and have taught business English. Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

17 minutes ago, TSF said:

Very interesting and many thanks for informing me. I do have my FB account, however it my personal FB with lots of photos of my wife and myself on holidays and sitting in restaurants with bottles of Heineken on the tables, so if I was to go ahead with your idea I'll need to open another "professional" FB account. I'll mull over what you have outlined here, also I'll look at Upwork and Freelancer. I have done some editing for Thais in the past, and that is another possibility. I also worked for many years in journalism, and have taught business English. Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

You are welcome.  My pleasuere ????

Don't worry about that (pics of heinekens, etc),  only thing that can be 'bad' on your personal timeline is if you get negative about a lot of stuff (like politics), or do a lot of off-color jokes (although I know people that ONLY do them lol and do well).

People connect with people and like seeing a 'human'.  And there are no others like your friends who will back you up and share your offer to others or let others know what you are getting into.  I'd recommend NOT opening a new profile for this.  KISS.  Make a post, worst that happens is no one responds.

Edited by Dart12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PGSan said:

Or lose even more!  Better to try a local (covid-free!) gambling den.

There are people in a coma, whose trust funds earn a lot more than online teachers through simple passive investments in ETFs, mutual funds, etc.. You gotta play to win.. you gamble crossing the street. 

On 1/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Dang!  That's a lot of hours to only earn five hundo!

Probably make more putting on some lipstick, a wig and fishnets!

• Haha 2