Notarial Services for papers being returned to the USA

ThailandRyan

As the title says, I am trying to find some notarial services here in Bangkok to notarize some paperwork needed for a Family trust in California.  I am the new Trustee but the bank requires my Identification and signature on their form to be notarized because I can not arrive in person to change the paperwork with them due to Covid and other issues.  I have an appointment at the US Embassy for Notarial services but it is not until the second week of February because of the appointment system.  Wondering if anyone has had to have anything Notarized here in Bangkok outside of the Embassy and where they obtained the services.

5 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Many, but not all lawyers an "notarise documents" Suggest Google....Thai notarial services lawyer

I will check and see if I can find one.  It is needed relatively quickly.

9 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Many, but not all lawyers an "notarise documents" Suggest Google....Thai notarial services lawyer

Thailand is not party to the agreement covering notaries.  So, the only place to get a notary that's recognized in the US is at the US embassy.  I've gotten many at the embassy in Bangkok.  And they ain't cheap.

I need to do one soon, and have read about a new service that can be done online.  The OP might want to research this.  I'll be doing this soon also and will report back if I find something...

But don't wasted your time with local lawyers.  It probably won't be accepted in California.  You can try, but I'd check with your lawyer in the US first.  Or, who ever is doing the trust.

Thanks @Jeffr2.  The bank I am dealing with in CA. told me to try and get an Apostille, but they are not available here as Thailand is not a member of the Hague Convention.  You would think that with Covid and the Changes that have been made to assist people that they could do a Video Call with having copies of what has been sent for Identification on there end and then the person on the other end holding up the same paperwork and identification holding up their papers to verify everything.  Even using DocuSign was done when I sold my primary residence in California 1 year ago.  Easy, but not for this bank.  If a court system can do a trial by video why can't a bank do the same for a notary in this day and age.  Checking with a Relator in Nevada I know to see if they have any on-line services available which could be used as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks @Jeffr2.  The bank I am dealing with in CA. told me to try and get an Apostille, but they are not available here as Thailand is not a member of the Hague Convention.  You would think that with Covid and the Changes that have been made to assist people that they could do a Video Call with having copies of what has been sent for Identification on there end and then the person on the other end holding up the same paperwork and identification holding up their papers to verify everything.  Even using DocuSign was done when I sold my primary residence in California 1 year ago.  Easy, but not for this bank.  If a court system can do a trial by video why can't a bank do the same for a notary in this day and age.  Checking with a Relator in Nevada I know to see if they have any on-line services available which could be used as well.

Is the embassy in Bangkok back to doing notaries?  I've not checked in some time.  I've got one to do, but it's not a necessity.  I can wait another year or so.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/customer-alerts

California Notaries Public Cannot Perform Notarial Services Online: Online webcam notarizations are invalid and illegal activities for California notaries public.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have had several documents notarized by attorney's here and sent to the US, never had an issue.

I suggest you search notary services in Bangkok many options through licensed Thai lawyers.

Depends on what the doc is for.  I too have used lawyers here for various documents.  But serious stuff, like trusts, won't accept anything from Thailand as it's not a member of the group that supports this, as listed above.

And I know why.  The guy who signed and stamped our doc didn't look at our IDs, didn't look at the doc, and accepted it even though it was already signed.  Terrible.

23 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Is the embassy in Bangkok back to doing notaries?  I've not checked in some time.  I've got one to do, but it's not a necessity.  I can wait another year or so.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/customer-alerts

California Notaries Public Cannot Perform Notarial Services Online: Online webcam notarizations are invalid and illegal activities for California notaries public.

The Embassy is available for appointments. I set one for the first available which is in Febuary. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Embassy is available for appointments. I set one for the first available which is in Febuary. 

It's quite easy.  Don't be late!  Bring a copy of your appointment.  No place to wait, so don't go too early.  If you do, there's a mall not far away that has places to eat.

Once inside, takes 15 minutes and you're done.  Not cheap, but no other option here.