Pattaya: 500 taxis and "baht buses" gathering dust as Covid Wave 2 proves worse than the first

rooster59

Pattaya: 500 taxis and "baht buses" gathering dust as Covid Wave 2 proves worse than the first

137535396_3855743377779901_3438545788657427787_o.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

The head of Pattaya's public transport association has painted a grim picture of the effect of the Covid second wave and the placing of the resort in the severest Red Zone restrictions. 

Taxi drivers and song thaew drivers (called baht buses at the resort) are packing in the job and seeking new employment or just going home to their up country villages. 

500 vehicles are simply gathering dust as only a skeleton service remains for the locals in Pattaya. 

All the tourists - Thai and foreigners - have simply vanished.

Tawat Pheuakbunnak - chief of the Pattaya Bus Co-Operative - said that the first wave of the pandemic had a devastating effect on his members with there being no foreign tourists.

But with government stimulus measures and the events held in Pattaya there were genuine signs that the corner had been turned and drivers were returning to their vehicles. 

Then came the second wave and, said Tawat in an interview with Sophon Cable TV, it is proving much worse than the first.

He said that his organisation is responsible for 712 song thaews and 170 taxis and in total there are 1000 public vehicles in Pattaya.

Of these now 500 have stopped offering a service - 50% of the total. 

He said that there were so few customers that there was no point for drivers to rent or fill up with gas. 

Many had gone to find other jobs or simply returned to their homes in the provinces. 

A service of sorts was still running with Covid protocols in place like hand gel and insistence on registering with the Thai Chana app, he said.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-09

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

No one should dissuade the Thais from destroying their own economy. The exchange rate has still not budged. We need a return to 1998 rates.

That was just a blip.  Before that, it was in the mid 20's for a long time.

40 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Finally.  Their service is horrible.  Very rude, sometimes don't fully stop for you to get on.  Pass on the left or right.  Run red lights.  Cut in front of you.  Wait for the truck to be packed to the rim before heading out.  And...open air. So you get to suck in all the fumes and dirt.

Time for Pattaya to implement a proper mass transport system.  Worst case, some nice buses with regular routes and proper bus stops.  Kinda like what Bangkok has.

Totally agree, horrible people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Totally agree, horrible people.

There are some exceptions. For a while, I was using a cane, due to an injury. I climbed onto the back of a songteaw which was packed, and the driver stopped and made two seated customers ride on the back platform in order to give me a seat. He said he was afraid I would fall off. ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scammed said:

everyone is going home, every 2nd shop on the sois around me closed.

that still doesnt mess up my life but the shut down of massage places do

Yes , a lot of people have returned home and the result is a lot of little provincial towns are a lot busier than before. If I go into our nearest town ( 5 km away ) to the night market it is as busy as hell with more food stalls than before. Even got a kebab stand now which we never had before. Also see more tattooed young girls around but wife wont let me gawk. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You are correct, there's always exceptions but the majority of them are horrible individuals.

That's why you have to have your mutually recognizable list of regulars of good people to ride with . There are only about 15 or so ,by bus number ,that I take

Must have been napping, when was the first wave ? Very hard to believe all this commotion and hardship could be caused by a death rate of 0.00009% per capita per year, especially when one considers that road accidents claim a percentage a few hundred times higher ???? By that I mean that last year the number of people dying in 365 days roughly equates to the number killed PER DAY ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Finally.  Their service is horrible.  Very rude, sometimes don't fully stop for you to get on.  Pass on the left or right.  Run red lights.  Cut in front of you.  Wait for the truck to be packed to the rim before heading out.  And...open air. So you get to suck in all the fumes and dirt.

Time for Pattaya to implement a proper mass transport system.  Worst case, some nice buses with regular routes and proper bus stops.  Kinda like what Bangkok has.

Yep.  I have got to say that I don't have much sympathy for them. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1