Pattaya: Hotel chief urges governor to order ALL hotels shut

rooster59

Pattaya: Hotel chief urges governor to order ALL hotels shut

pattaya.JPG

Image: Pattaya Update News

The head of the Thai Hoteliers' Association of the eastern Seaboard has urged the governor of Chonburi to order the temporary closure of ALL hotels in the Pattaya area. 

The move is seen as a way for hotel employees to access social security payments. 

Phisut Sae-khu said that he had sent a letter to the governor to consider the move.

He said that there had been no closure order yet despite Pattaya being in the severest level of Covid-19 restrictions. 

He said that there are no customers in the hotels whatsoever and even if they remain open in name they are effectively shut.

If they were ordered to be shut then employees could get a 7,500 baht social security payment - half of a 15,000 baht salary.

It would then be up to individual hotels to make up any of the remaining difference. 

He said that many people had already been laid off in the first wave of the pandemic and hotel employees that remained were very necessary and needed to be treated properly. 

Source: Pattaya Update News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-09

• Like 1

What about people living in the hotels, either stranded because of Covid, or long-term residents?  Me, I live here now, but I always liked the freedom of a condo when on holiday here.   Some however, prefer the comfort and helpful staff of a hotel, even for years at a time - some are more "managed apartments" really, but they are still classed as a hotel.  

Are they all on the streets?

I''m good with that.  There's a golf resort outside of our village.  Seems some locals from Rayong spent some time here and are now in quarantine.  The locals are freaking.  If you're gonna allow travelers from "hot zones" then your asking for public panic.  Just shut it all down.  And it sucks.  So much for the Mrs and I taking our high season domestic vacation.  But - there ya have it.

4 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Despite the second wave, the baht currency is still strong.

As the West heads into the sunset more and more money will be finding it's way into Thailand and SE Asian. 

7 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Remote town? Wuhan has a population just over 11 million

yes, because china is so huge that a town with a population over 11 million population can still be considered as remote..., for instance, many americans can't make the difference between sweden and  switzerland for the same reason! i bet not many people knew whuhan existence  before covid

Edited by Pique Dard