Thai lady gets a water bill of nearly 50K - we only have showers and do the washing up, she says

rooster59

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is there is a leak after the meter for it to register, then it's not the responsibility of the PWA, but the householder.

That's why she should harass the PWA to resolve the problem - of course, at a cost. Or read your comment and do nothing but moan. Some people... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PFMills said:

Our bill is usually around 250baht, hedges and grass are watered every day and washing Machien also runs most days.

Agreed, ours is about 250 - including showers for 3 people at least twice a day, and wife going potty watering the flowers and cleaning the tiles.

38 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

If the meter reading is correct, clearly, there is a leak, and the authorities need to get their fingers out. 

Not really. If the meter is showing that much water is used, then the leak (if there is one) is on her side of the meter, that makes it her problem.

• Thanks 1

... and don't leave it to thai mrs to do the washing up... Anybody else ever notice that Hot tap etc turned to Full blast from go to whoa? - and the plughole left Open through out...

In falangs hands, a little Hot goes into the bottom of the Sink, and all dishes washed in same pool of water, then Rinsed after..  

• Like 2

It's either a defect meter, or the meter is under water, perhaps through a flood?

We were flooded a few years ago and the water pressure caused the wheel turning like crazy. We had a 20,000 baht bill and could come to a solution with the provincial water department.

We were not even living in, a bit difficult when the house is flooded. 

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not really. If the meter is showing that much water is used, then the leak (if there is one) is on her side of the meter, that makes it her problem.

You are the second poster who has stated the obvious. My point is whether it's her responsibility or not, if she wants this malfunction remedied she should stop moaning and chase PWA to get their finger out - probably at her cost.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'If she has bills prior, and a history of usage and no apparent leaks, then it points to the meter.'

I'd agree with that initially, especially when you say 'no apparent leaks' with the emphasis on 'apparent'.

However, when running a bar in Pattaya we had a very high water bill one month. No apparent leaks.

The PWA came to check, and did what I suggested earlier - closed the isolating valve. The meter stopped dead.

We then had to find someone to dig into the ground after the meter, to discover a leaking joint. The water leak ran in the ground to a nearby drain, thereby hiding the leak.

(In my post anyway) I never said it was the PWA's responsibility to service the meter. I just pointed out if there was a leak after the meter it was up the the householder to repair it.

IMO, it should be the water department's responsibility, as they are the ones who provide the meter. They're also the ones who take it out when you don't pay your bill. 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Never paid more than 60 baht for water. For 2 houses, 5 people, washing machine everyday, lots of showers and watering of plants etc.

Hope she gets this resolved.

60 Baht per month...........................I don't believe you!

https://www.pwa.co.th/contents/service/table-price

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

You are the second poster who has stated the obvious. My point is whether it's her responsibility or not, if she wants this malfunction remedied she should stop moaning and chase PWA to get their finger out - probably at her cost.

According to the OP,  she has stopped moaning. The 'authorities' (we can only guess that's the PWA) appear to have got their finger out already, and put their spectacles on:

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Now the local authorities are looking into the matter for her.

• Thanks 2