Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Bangkok to deliver my completed documents for renewing my UK passport yesterday - 6th January 2012. If you are driving in - and driving down Asok road to the large junction with Sukhumvit ro

In the near future I'm going to need to renew my passport and like a number of other TV members I'm somewhat confused by the requirements relating to what is acceptable proof of my address in Thailand

did mine a few months back. New passport returned to me within 2 weeks. Excellent service, will use them again.

During April/May last year VFS closed, as HMPO in the UK closed. Now with such a high rate of Covid 19 infections in the UK it would appear likely thet HMPO will once again shut, followed naturally by VFS. 

 

Does anyone know what Immigration do with foreigners whose both passport and visa extensions have expired, and they have no way of obtaining new passports in the short term?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

did mine a few months back.

New passport returned to me within 2 weeks.

Excellent service, will use them again.

 

That's good to see. Considering the documents go from Thailand to India and then Liverpool; and then the new passport has to come back, that's a damn good service. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

During April/May last year VFS closed, as HMPO in the UK closed. Now with such a high rate of Covid 19 infections in the UK it would appear likely thet HMPO will once again shut, followed naturally by VFS. 

 

Does anyone know what Immigration do with foreigners whose both passport and visa extensions have expired, and they have no way of obtaining new passports in the short term?

 

I don't know the answer. But a friend of mine might. He was affected by the delays in getting a new passport and was getting dangerously close to missing his extension renewal date. Not heard from him for a couple of weeks so will check.

 

He uses an agent and the agent had told him that with only an expired passport immigration wouldn't do anything. He'd simply be told he had 7 days to leave the country and have to get an emergency travel document from the British Embassy. That was the agent's opinion based on immigration not being able to use a passport that's expired and therefore not valid. 

 

That's speculative based on the the agent's opinion, but he's working regularly with immigration. I'll see what happened. My friend was expediting the new passport and sweating on its arrival.

 

It's potentially made worse if HMPO and VFS close down again too. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

During April/May last year VFS closed, as HMPO in the UK closed. Now with such a high rate of Covid 19 infections in the UK it would appear likely thet HMPO will once again shut, followed naturally by VFS. 

 

Does anyone know what Immigration do with foreigners whose both passport and visa extensions have expired, and they have no way of obtaining new passports in the short term?

As a rule it's wise to apply for a new passport at least 9 months before it's due to expire.  That should leave you plenty of time, even if HMPO/VFS were to close again.  

 

Unfortunately, there won't be much that Thai Immigration can do if you have an expired passport.  You'd have to get a ETD and return to the UK or risk being on overstay.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 4:39 AM, safarimike11 said:

Went into Bangkok to deliver my completed documents for renewing my UK passport yesterday - 6th January 2012. If you are driving in - and driving down Asok road to the large junction with Sukhumvit road, this might help: at the junction turn right (into Sukhumvit road) and almost immediately do a U-turn at soi 11. When you have turned, you will come to soi 13 soon on your left - so turn into it. The Trendy Building is about 100 yards down on the right and at the far end is the opening that leads up to the car park which is on floors 3 thru 5. Go up to level 5, turn left, drive to the end and park. Leave your car and go into the building, turn right and go through the glass doors. There is a girl with a temp. gun and hand sanitizer. Upon asking her (where the passport office was) she directed me to go down to the ground floor - via the escalators. Head to the elevators and go to the last one which is at the end. Go up to the 28th floor, exit the elevator and turn left and you are at the entry to the passport office.

Once you have finished your business, exit the passport office and go down in the same elevator to the 8th floor Exit the elevator, turn left and head to the fire exit door; walk down 3 floors to level 5, go in through that fire exit door, turn right and you are back to the girl with the temp. gun.

 

Did they give you your original docs back there and then? The website says they will be returned but it's not clear if they mean "returned during the appointment" or "returned with your new passport". I will need some of mine before the new passport arrivesmsonI'm in a bit of a catch-22. I will be going to VFS in Chiang Mai but I guess it's the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 11:39 AM, safarimike11 said:

Went into Bangkok to deliver my completed documents for renewing my UK passport yesterday - 6th January 2012. If you are driving in - and driving down Asok road to the large junction with Sukhumvit road, this might help: at the junction turn right (into Sukhumvit road) and almost immediately do a U-turn at soi 11. When you have turned, you will come to soi 13 soon on your left - so turn into it. The Trendy Building is about 100 yards down on the right and at the far end is the opening that leads up to the car park which is on floors 3 thru 5. Go up to level 5, turn left, drive to the end and park. Leave your car and go into the building, turn right and go through the glass doors. There is a girl with a temp. gun and hand sanitizer. Upon asking her (where the passport office was) she directed me to go down to the ground floor - via the escalators. Head to the elevators and go to the last one which is at the end. Go up to the 28th floor, exit the elevator and turn left and you are at the entry to the passport office.

Once you have finished your business, exit the passport office and go down in the same elevator to the 8th floor Exit the elevator, turn left and head to the fire exit door; walk down 3 floors to level 5, go in through that fire exit door, turn right and you are back to the girl with the temp. gun.

1. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 14th January 2012 from VFS Global stating my passport "was forwarded to HMPO on 14-01-2021".

2. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 21st January 2021 from HMPO Communications stating "We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

3. Watch this space...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, safarimike11 said:

1. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 14th January 2012 from VFS Global stating my passport "was forwarded to HMPO on 14-01-2021".

2. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 21st January 2021 from HMPO Communications stating "We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

3. Watch this space...

(Above messages posted at just after 9:00 pm here in Thailand, so I don't know what Time Zone they are using)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 1:54 PM, Badger18 said:

 

Did they give you your original docs back there and then? The website says they will be returned but it's not clear if they mean "returned during the appointment" or "returned with your new passport". I will need some of mine before the new passport arrivesmsonI'm in a bit of a catch-22. I will be going to VFS in Chiang Mai but I guess it's the same.

The only "original docs" I took with me was a (Thai) bank statement - which I didn't bother to photocopy; the lady suggested I get a photocopy of it for her - reason being that they might charge me the DHL fee for returning the original: in other words, she didn't want / basically refused to accept the original. When I returned with the photocopy, after a few minutes she returned the original informing me that she had "certified" the copy so didn't require the original. (Yes, I did feel like a tool).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

The only "original docs" I took with me was a (Thai) bank statement - which I didn't bother to photocopy; the lady suggested I get a photocopy of it for her - reason being that they might charge me the DHL fee for returning the original: in other words, she didn't want / basically refused to accept the original. When I returned with the photocopy, after a few minutes she returned the original informing me that she had "certified" the copy so didn't require the original. (Yes, I did feel like a tool).

 

Will be going to do mine next month.  Out of interest, why did you take a bank statement?  Proof of address?  Just want to make sure no sundry requirements have snuck in that I may have missed from the HMG download docs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

1. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 14th January 2012 from VFS Global stating my passport "was forwarded to HMPO on 14-01-2021".

2. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 21st January 2021 from HMPO Communications stating "We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

3. Watch this space...

 

I seem to be on a similar passport replacement timeline. Mine is being organised via an agent but I also received the same VFS Global email on 14th Jan. My UK credit card was also charged with the passport fee on the same date.

However, up to now, I have not received the delay notification email from HMPO. That may yet arrive as unlikely that the process will be any different unless there are , as noted, any additional info requests.

I will update as and when.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dabhand said:

 

I seem to be on a similar passport replacement timeline. Mine is being organised via an agent but I also received the same VFS Global email on 14th Jan. My UK credit card was also charged with the passport fee on the same date.

However, up to now, I have not received the delay notification email from HMPO. That may yet arrive as unlikely that the process will be any different unless there are , as noted, any additional info requests.

I will update as and when.

What do you need to take ...according to Table A it says

Photo Evidence ... so original passport is ok

 

Name and address and/or residency evidence..

. visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) ...so the visa in your passport is OK?

I also have a Bangkok Bank Bank statement showing my address ... that should do also

 

And two new passport photos.

 

Do I need to copy every page of my old passport, in colour, including the unused pages.

 

And that is it?   Hope I haven't left it a bit late as visa runs out 2nd May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

What do you need to take ...according to Table A it says

Photo Evidence ... so original passport is ok

 

Name and address and/or residency evidence..

. visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) ...so the visa in your passport is OK?

I also have a Bangkok Bank Bank statement showing my address ... that should do also

 

And two new passport photos.

 

And that is it?   Hope I haven't left it a bit late as visa runs out 2nd May.

 

As noted, I used an agent but gave them:

Completed application form

Two photos

Copy of recent correspondence to my Thai address from UK pension office - life cert request.

Original passport (a full colour copy needs to be handed to VFS)

Completed UK credit card payment form for cost of new passport (confirmed as paid on 14th Jan by my CC)

 

I also signed an authorisation form for the agent to act on my behalf.

 

That seems to have worked as the application was sent to HMPO on 14th Jan as confirmed to me via an email from VFS. No further contact since then.

 

My extension runs out in early May as well, whereas my pp expires in October. So my early renewal was obviously driven by the visa expiry date. I had been planning on travelling to Bkk myself (from Pattaya) but considered the agent option was a no brainer given the current travel issues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 9:03 PM, safarimike11 said:

1. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 14th January 2012 from VFS Global stating my passport "was forwarded to HMPO on 14-01-2021".

2. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 21st January 2021 from HMPO Communications stating "We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

3. Watch this space...

 

I got the same emails. It took about 3 weeks. Then they only keep the passport for 30 days .

 

If you live outside the red zones you will probably have to quarantine for 14 days after collection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

During April/May last year VFS closed, as HMPO in the UK closed. Now with such a high rate of Covid 19 infections in the UK it would appear likely thet HMPO will once again shut, followed naturally by VFS. 

 

Does anyone know what Immigration do with foreigners whose both passport and visa extensions have expired, and they have no way of obtaining new passports in the short term?

 

Anyone holding a passport over seas (or in the UK) should always ensure they have at least 6 months remaining.

 

If approaching the 6 month remaining validity, I would be applying for a new passport now so I’m not in that situation. 

 

I renewed a UK Passport in Nov - It took 4 weeks (I was told it could take up to 8 weeks at the moment due to Covid-19).

 

 

IF your Passport and Visa Extensions have expired while in Thailand, you are in Thailand illegally (overstaying), I’m wondering if Immigration wouldn’t want to return you back to your home country (deportation). It could get complex, you’d need to be issued an Emergency Travel document. 

The only reason I could see that someone finds themselves in this situation is if they either totally forgot or are simply taking a chance that in 6 months time VFS and HMPO will be open.

There is no need to take that chance. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SooKee said:

 

Will be going to do mine next month.  Out of interest, why did you take a bank statement?  Proof of address?  Just want to make sure no sundry requirements have snuck in that I may have missed from the HMG download docs.

 

Would have been proof of address.

 

I took my Pink ID card... No good !! the proof of address needs to be in English. 

My Fortunately my Thai Driving licences worked as Valid Proof of address in Thailand. 

Bank Statements will also work (all original documents returned at time of application). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, SooKee said:

 

Will be going to do mine next month.  Out of interest, why did you take a bank statement?  Proof of address?  Just want to make sure no sundry requirements have snuck in that I may have missed from the HMG download docs.

Answer: "Evidence of identity and address". (https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-british-passport-in-bangkok/)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JAS21 said:

What do you need to take ...according to Table A it says

Photo Evidence ... so original passport is ok

 

Name and address and/or residency evidence..

. visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) ...so the visa in your passport is OK?

I also have a Bangkok Bank Bank statement showing my address ... that should do also

 

And two new passport photos.

 

Do I need to copy every page of my old passport, in colour, including the unused pages.

 

And that is it?   Hope I haven't left it a bit late as visa runs out 2nd May.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-british-passport-in-bangkok/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

 

Thanks for the link but I'm more interested in what people have actually used recently and had accepted TBH given that bank statements are not listed in the official HMPO list of acceptable documents which are:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents

 

It may well be that they class a bank as a tax authority, I wouldn't have made that assumption and would consider a tax authority to be something like Inland Revenue.  Hence my asking the poster if it was for address ID purposes since I'd rather not roll up with a bank statement for that only ti find the poster had needed it for something else.  I'd rather avoid repeated trips to Trendy as a result of wrong guesses.

I'd not seen the Richard Barrow post and wouldn't take advice from there anyway given his penchant for getting things wrong, whether or not a bank statement is listed in any of the 100+ comments below his post I'm not sure.  I see he even mentions that VFS will advise against people using blogs for information with regard to applications.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 9:03 PM, safarimike11 said:

1. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 14th January 2012 from VFS Global stating my passport "was forwarded to HMPO on 14-01-2021".

2. Received an e-mail on Thurs. 21st January 2021 from HMPO Communications stating "We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

3. Watch this space...

Same for me. Mine should arrive a month  before the old one expires. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, safarimike11 said:

 

Just spotted the following potentially worrying statement towards the end of this blog:-

 

Due to the ongoing situation in Bangkok, the UK Visa Application Centre in Trendy Building will operate until 2pm. from 19th October until further notice. If you have an appointment from 1pm. onwards or are collecting passport, kindly come and submit your application between 8:30am- 1pm, and collect your passport between 11am- 1pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.

 

Is this still the case? If so could be a right PITA for those who live a long way from Bangkok but were hoping to make same-day trips if they still can't book an appointment or subsequently collect their new passport after 1pm.

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

The documents are not sent to India (that's for visas).  The passport application is DHL'd direct from Bangkok to Liverpool, and then back.

 

Thanks for that clarification. Can you recommend a photographers that have experience in UKPO approved passport photos?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

 

Thanks for that clarification. Can you recommend a photographers that have experience in UKPO approved passport photos?

 

There's a booth outside the 7/11 just before you get to the Trendy building. You can choose UK passport size but be careful because there are two buttons (one to scroll through the options and one to confirm) to press and the light on one of them isn't working, which is a bit confusing so just be patient and read the instructions carefully. Don't do what I did which is get confused and press both buttons in frustration, resulting in the wrong size photos of the top of my head. It's instant and only costs 120 baht, which is far better than paying 150 baht or more and then waiting 30 minutes at one of the photo shops.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 11:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It could get complex, you’d need to be issued an Emergency Travel document. 

 

I believe that most all countries will allow you to re-enter your home country with an expired passport issued by that country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I believe that most all countries will allow you to re-enter your home country with an expired passport issued by that country.

Correct but the problem is leaving the country you are in that requires you to have a valid passport, visa and etc to stay in that country. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

 

Thanks for that clarification. Can you recommend a photographers that have experience in UKPO approved passport photos?

 

FWIW I used that photo booth machine near Trendy today.  The quality of the photos from it was absolutely abysmal, barely usable, over-exposed and way to much red saturation, looked like I'd been asleep in the sun all day.  They were so bad I even went in to ask the VFS staff if I could use them (my appointment is next week) and they said yes, but only just.  Not sure if it was a one off glitch with the machine (there's nothing you can adjust for exposure but in the preview the pictures looked fine anyway, nothing like the junk it printed out) or if the machine needs servicing, re-calibrating or even topping up with inks but I wasn't prepared to tip more money into to find out.  

 

I'm told there's a fairly new copy/photo shop in the basement of Exchange Tower so I'll go and take a look there later for both the photos and the colour copies of the passport (VFS can actually do them for you - 30 baht per sheet but outside printers will be cheaper by quite some margin) and hopefully get someone that knows what they're doing.

Edited by SooKee
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SooKee said:

 

FWIW I used that photo booth machine near Trendy today.  The quality of the photos from it was absolutely abysmal, barely usable, over-exposed and way to much red saturation, looked like I'd been asleep in the sun all day.  They were so bad I even went in to ask the VFS staff if I could use them (my appointment is next week) and they said yes, but only just.  Not sure if it was a one off glitch with the machine (there's nothing you can adjust for exposure but in the preview the pictures looked fine anyway, nothing like the junk it printed out) or if the machine needs servicing, re-calibrating or even topping up with inks but I wasn't prepared to tip more money into to find out.  

 

I'm told there's a fairly new copy/photo shop in the basement of Exchange Tower so I'll go and take a look there later for both the photos and the colour copies of the passport (VFS can actually do them for you - 30 baht per sheet but outside printers will be cheaper by quite some margin) and hopefully get someone that knows what they're doing.

 

Sorry to hear of those problems. If my life was as well organised as yours I would have used Eastbourne in Emporium which was recommended by others online but I turned up 20 minutes before my VFS appointment and they told me it would take 30 minutes.

 

My photos from the booth turned out alright but definitely the machine needs servicing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...