British Passport Renewal Bangkok

14 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Sorry to hear of those problems. If my life was as well organised as yours I would have used Eastbourne in Emporium which was recommended by others online but I turned up 20 minutes before my VFS appointment and they told me it would take 30 minutes.

My photos from the booth turned out alright but definitely the machine needs servicing.

Yeah, no big deal for me as I live very close to Trendy, it's worth others who might intend to rely on that machine bearing it in mind though.  As I said the VFS staffer said the photos would be OK but I have a feeling they would have been rejected at HMPO, literally a bright red face with blown out highlights on a white background and totally over exposed overall.  The quality has perhaps deteriorated even further since you used it.

Tried the shop in the basement of Exchange Tower which was fine if a little on the pricey side at THB 240 for 6.  Back street photo shops would likely be a bit cheaper but I can't be asked to trek around for the sake of 40 baht.  Of course these ended up costing me 360 with the 120 wasted in the machine.

As I mentioned above VFS can do colour copies of any documents you haven't copied at THB 30 per sheet at the time you apply.  I checked out a couple of places and having found one (Asia Print Centre near Sukhumvit Soi 33) that would charge 15-20 baht per sheet I was surprised to be told that they can't do colour copies of passports.  They sent me a photo of a notice from the shop with things they can't do colour copies of including Thai ID cards, certificates and passports.  The sign made reference to fraudulent use etc.  Quite how useful an A4 colour copy of a passport would be to anyone, particularly when that anyone was me I'm not sure, so another minor TIT BS hurdle, just glad I didn't waste my time going there!  Whether they would actually do it if you happened to just turn up I don't know, it wasn't something I was prepared to waste time finding out.  Luckily the photo shop in Exchange Tower didn't give a hoot and made the copy.  Again it was 30 baht per sheet but I was there anyway.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Any photo shop should be able to do the photos if you show them what you want.

This webpage has the info needed to be sure they are correct. https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

I think I could do them myself by doing a selfie, resizing them and printing them on photo paper.

The big, big problem for us Brits has hitherto been in trying to find a photo shop which is capable of taking photos specifically against a plain cream or light grey background without recourse to photoshopping which would, of course, be in violation of HMPO's "unaltered by computer software" rule. However, it would appear from the latest guidance that any plain light background colour is now deemed to be acceptable, which should, hopefully, make life a lot easier at passport renewal time (although I take it that the standard turquoise background against which I get my annual extension of stay photos taken is, unfortunately, still unacceptable).

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The big, big problem for us Brits has hitherto been in trying to find a photo shop which is capable of taking photos specifically against a plain cream or light grey background without recourse to photoshopping which would, of course, be in violation of HMPO's "unaltered by computer software" rule. However, it would appear from the latest guidance that any plain light background colour is now deemed to be acceptable, which should, hopefully, make life a lot easier at passport renewal time (although I take it that the standard turquoise background against which I get my annual extension of stay photos taken is, unfortunately, still unacceptable).

Not sure that's universally true.  Any decent photo shop knows what is required and can deliver for you, so long as you don't live in the sticks I guess.  I have never had that problem and I don't know anyone who has.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

As I mentioned above VFS can do colour copies of any documents you haven't copied at THB 30 per sheet at the time you apply.

I recall it being mentioned on here that VFS will also do the new passport photos for you. Do you know whether this is, in fact, the case? Presumably they would charge a premium, but might be worth it for piace of mind (as well as avoiding the need to try spelling out specific HMPO requirements to a backstreet photographer with zero grasp of the English language which is commonplace in my part of the world).

Just now, Pilotman said:

Not sure that's universally true.  Any decent photo shop knows what is required and can deliver for you, so long as you don't live in the sticks I guess.  I have never had that problem and I don't know anyone who has.  

Well clearly you did not read my post on another thread about renewing passports.

My wife had to go to the photo shop 3 times before they did it correctly, even with the paper from UK passport office regarding size, measurements.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well clearly you did not read my post on another thread about renewing passports.

My wife had to go to the photo shop 3 times before they did it correctly, even with the paper from UK passport office regarding size, measurements.

not sure where you went.  My wife used a photo shop on Pattaya Third Road. She took the written instructions with her and they knew immediately what was required having done it before and delivered for her. My daughter, same in a shop in Udon. Either you were unluckily or we were lucky. 

Edited by Pilotman

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Unfortunately I do live in the sticks, at least as far as professional photography is concerned. But, now that HMPO no longer appear to be fussy about the background colour being specifically plain cream or light grey, this will hopefully make life a lot easier at passport renewal time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Out of interest how much did it cost you in the end to comply satisfactorily with HMPO's ridiculously over-fussy passport photo requirements?

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Unfortunately I do live in the sticks, at least as far as professional photography is concerned. But, now that HMPO no longer appear to be fussy about the background colour being specifically plain cream or light grey, this will hopefully make life a lot easier at passport renewal time.

Sadly, upon rechecking the latest HMPO guidance the plain light background of any colour requirement only appears to apply to digital photos. For some ridiculous reason they still insist on printed photos being taken specifically against a plain cream or light grey background colour!????

On 1/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, OJAS said:

Just spotted the following potentially worrying statement towards the end of this blog:-

Due to the ongoing situation in Bangkok, the UK Visa Application Centre in Trendy Building will operate until 2pm. from 19th October until further notice. If you have an appointment from 1pm. onwards or are collecting passport, kindly come and submit your application between 8:30am- 1pm, and collect your passport between 11am- 1pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.

Is this still the case? If so could be a right PITA for those who live a long way from Bangkok but were hoping to make same-day trips if they still can't book an appointment or subsequently collect their new passport after 1pm.

Must be true then if it's on his blog. That is sarcastic in case you didn't pick that up. 

• Haha 1

I have to renew daughter's passport soon.

Can I hand in all documents for her?

Does she needs to be present?

I'm not a UK citizen.

What kind of proof of address? 

Her name doesn't appear in contract or any bills.

Would proof of school enrolment help?

Regards,

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Perhaps a silly question.I see that one's existing passport needs every page to be photocopied.Is it expected that these copies are cut to size of passport or is it okay to have the pages copied on to A4 paper?

No need to cut the A4 paper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Perhaps a silly question.I see that one's existing passport needs every page to be photocopied.Is it expected that these copies are cut to size of passport or is it okay to have the pages copied on to A4 paper?

I was told off by my office for cutting my existing passport copies to the smaller A5 size, and they insisted that I copied the pages again on A4 sheets!

Incidentally, it's only the pages containing visas and stamps that need to be copied for Immigration purposes, not the whole shooting match as required by HMPO in the case of British passports for some ridiculous reason or other.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Not a silly question at all.

FYI..... I contacted VSF be email some time ago and asked the question: "In order to save paper, is it possible to have 4 pages of the passport scanned and printed onto a sheet of A4?" I attached a sample in PDF ..... They replied very quickly and confirmed that it is acceptable.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, OJAS said:

Just spotted the following potentially worrying statement towards the end of this blog:-

Due to the ongoing situation in Bangkok, the UK Visa Application Centre in Trendy Building will operate until 2pm. from 19th October until further notice. If you have an appointment from 1pm. onwards or are collecting passport, kindly come and submit your application between 8:30am- 1pm, and collect your passport between 11am- 1pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.

Is this still the case? If so could be a right PITA for those who live a long way from Bangkok but were hoping to make same-day trips if they still can't book an appointment or subsequently collect their new passport after 1pm.

Yes, I was aware of the revised timings prior to my visit on 6th Jan., so I booked my appointment for 11:00 am. I actually arrived at 10:30 but the girl at the counter (the counter after you enter VFS from the corridor) said I could just go in. N.B. The staff have their lunch break from 12:00 - 1:00. From what I read, you don't need to book an appointment to collect your passport; just turn up.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:08 PM, edwardandtubs said:

There's a booth outside the 7/11 just before you get to the Trendy building. You can choose UK passport size but be careful because there are two buttons (one to scroll through the options and one to confirm) to press and the light on one of them isn't working, which is a bit confusing so just be patient and read the instructions carefully. Don't do what I did which is get confused and press both buttons in frustration, resulting in the wrong size photos of the top of my head. It's instant and only costs 120 baht, which is far better than paying 150 baht or more and then waiting 30 minutes at one of the photo shops.

I actually tried to use the same photos as I had for my previous passport (I know) but the lady said I needed a "recent" photo (which it clearly states in the instructions), so I went out of the VFS and asked the security guard where I could get a passport photo. He made a call and directed me to go down to the (6th or 7th - can't remember) floor. Upon exiting the lift, a guy was waiting for me and led me to a Visa shop on that floor - sorry, didn't get the name. They took my passport photo with a phone; I gave the girl my iPhone and asked her to take my photo on that as well). They processed their photo and gave me 6 passport photos: took about 20 minutes and they asked for 200 baht. (I could have asked for some more but <deleted>); I went back up to the VFS and finished my business.

2 hours ago, Matreusse said:

Leaving any country with an invalid (expired) passport will be the problem!

Common issue when ocean sailing.

I could leave here on a valid passport which may expire before allowed to enter Oz waters

22 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:
On 2/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, Matreusse said:

Leaving any country with an invalid (expired) passport will be the problem!

Common issue when ocean sailing.

I could leave here on a valid passport which may expire before allowed to enter Oz waters

I know that.  I said in that comment that leaving on an invalid (expired) passport would be a problem, not leaving on a valid one!

• Haha 1