British Passport Renewal Bangkok

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Is the - [email protected] - email address still the one to use?

I emailed them a few times to book an appointment to renew my daughter's passport but never get any reply.

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Yes.... [email protected]    is correct.

I emailed them last week for an appointment and still waiting for a response.  They seem a little slower than previously reported in this thread e.g. response same day.

Update..... Having posted the above 2 hours ago, I have just received a response from VFS confirming appointment date/time to attend Trendy.  As I said, their response is a little slower than had been previously reported.... but as they say, better late than never.

With reference to application via UK address vs application direct from abroad.

When I applied (Oct 2013) for my present passport they were just starting the present cock-up & many of us were worried about return of new passports in time for IO visits etc.

It fell out that all UK applications were stored, I remember in orange (coloured) boxes,  separate from applications from abroad, I  remember ours were filed in black boxes in a separate room & held back, delayed so that authorities would not be embarrassed by complaints from within UK for passports issued late for  holidays.

It would appear that the authorities prefer to continue this pernicious malpractice, probably for much the same reason during their lockdown.

As was observed above, those authorities could have allowed us to use modern communications technology thus speeding the system for all - but no.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, 007 RED said:

Update..... Having posted the above 2 hours ago, I have just received a response from VFS confirming appointment date/time to attend Trendy.  As I said, their response is a little slower than had been previously reported.... but as they say, better late than never.

Maybe better late than never, but the delay is still unacceptable IMHO, COVID-19 notwithstanding.

@AlfHuy - if you're still waiting to hear from VFS with confirmation of your daughter's appointment you might wish to consider lodging a complaint about the delay with HMPO via the link below:-

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

Edited by OJAS

48 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Maybe better late than never, but the delay is still unacceptable IMHO, COVID-19 notwithstanding.

@AlfHuy - if you're still waiting to hear from VFS with confirmation of your daughter's appointment you might wish to consider lodging a complaint about the delay with HMPO via the link below:-

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

Got an email saying that their April appointments aren't open yet but they will contact me, closer to the dates I submitted.

Thanks

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Got an email saying that their April appointments aren't open yet but they will contact me, closer to the dates I submitted.

Thanks

I got a message a few hours ago in which they gave me an appointment on 19th April.

2 hours ago, Ombra said:

I got a message a few hours ago in which they gave me an appointment on 19th April.

Very strange. My email response says that there are not yet any appointments for April released. I just sent them an email back, telling them what I think about their service.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It took me about 4 weeks from the date of ‘submission’ of the application to receiving notification to collect my passport from VFS. 

Note: I had to wait about 10 days for an appointment to submit the application (after e-mailing VFS for the appointment) 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/travellers-warned-10-week-wait-180809742.html

I have nothing to add to this; just glad I've already had mine renewed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Not sure where the Guardian got there info from, but the reported 10 week wait for a new passport does not appear to be correct so far as applications submitted via VSF (Thailand) are concerned.

I suspect that is for those applying in the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I suspect that is for those applying in the UK.

I appreciate that the Guardian article is aimed at the UK audience, but that does not explain why it may take 10 weeks to renew a passport when the application is submitted in the UK as opposed to only 15 working days when a renewal is submitted from Thailand.   That is crazy.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I appreciate that the Guardian article is aimed at the UK audience, but that does not explain why it may take 10 weeks to renew a passport when the application is submitted in the UK as opposed to only 15 working days when a renewal is submitted from Thailand. 

I think it due to the passport office are giving overseas passport applications a higher priority than domestic ones.

If living overseas you need to have a valid passport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

Not sure where the Guardian got there info from, but the reported 10 week wait for a new passport does not appear to be correct so far as applications submitted via VSF (Thailand) are concerned.

Haven't read the Guardian article in question (can't open the Yahoo link provided by @safarimike11 earlier on), but it would not surprise me in the least that HMPO are expecting - and may, indeed, already be experiencing - a rush of new passport applications domestically in anticipation of an imminent relaxation of the current well-publicised COVID-19 ban on foreign travel from the UK. A ban which does not, of course, affect those of us living in Thailand at the present time.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

Haven't read the Guardian article in question (can't open the Yahoo link provided by @safarimike11 earlier on), but it would not surprise me in the least that HMPO are expecting - and may, indeed, already be experiencing - a rush of new passport applications domestically in anticipation of an imminent relaxation of the current well-publicised COVID-19 ban on foreign travel from the UK. A ban which does not, of course, affect those of us living in Thailand at the present time.

Having read the article from the Guardian again, I must admit that I missed the point which you have quite rightly made regarding the fact that the UK government's proposed lifting of the current overseas holiday travel ban might create a sudden upsurge in demand for new/renewed passports.  Hence, with the rules/advice concerning Covid-19 within the workplace, delays in processing applications might take longer.  That said, 10 weeks compared to the normal 3 weeks turn around for application within the UK does seems rather excessive.

I'm glad that I've done my renewal and pleased that HMPO only took 15 working days from time of submitting the application through VFS in Bangkok to collecting the new passport, not that there was any urgency as there was still 11 months to run before it expired..

Having read the article from the Guardian again, I must admit that I missed the point which you have quite rightly made regarding the fact that the UK government's proposed lifting of the current overseas holiday travel ban might create a sudden upsurge in demand for new/renewed passports.  Hence, with the rules/advice concerning Covid-19 within the workplace, delays in processing applications might take longer.  That said, 10 weeks compared to the normal 3 weeks turn around for application within the UK does seems rather excessive.

I'm glad that I've done my renewal and pleased that HMPO only took 15 working days from time of submitting the application through VFS in Bangkok to collecting the new passport, not that there was any urgency as there was still 11 months to run before it expired..

Looks like your recent application hit the sweet spot for completion.

I submitted mine, again via VFS Bangkok, around mid January and received the new one in early March. A turnaround of close to 7 weeks. HMPO initially advised a likely 8 week period for completion, not too far off the actual date.This matched with a few other posters in the same time frame. So, I was not surprised to read that article indicating a potential 10 week period for current applications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Looks like your recent application hit the sweet spot for completion.

I submitted mine, again via VFS Bangkok, around mid January and received the new one in early March. A turnaround of close to 7 weeks. HMPO initially advised a likely 8 week period for completion, not too far off the actual date.This matched with a few other posters in the same time frame. So, I was not surprised to read that article indicating a potential 10 week period for current applications.

When I submitted my application last month the VSF officer advised me that the turn around time was 4 to 6 weeks, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from VFS Bangkok advising me that my passport was ready for collection approximately 3 weeks after making the application.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my current passport still has 11 months to run before the expire date (February 22), also there were several pages free, so there was no real urgency.  However, I decided to do the renewal early to avoid any potential problems (like a long delay in getting a new passport because of the Covid situation) as my current extension of permission to stay is due for renewal in early September and that would mean that immigration would only give me the remaining 6 months validity left on my passport for the extension.

The next big task is notifying all those that need to know that I have a new passport number e.g. Immigration; banks; credit card; driving licence; phone service provider; hospital; local clinic; amphor (yellow book & pink card); BTS; MRT etc. etc.  Thank goodness I'm retired and time is on my side.

• Like 1

Just now, 007 RED said:

When I submitted my application last month the VSF officer advised me that the turn around time was 4 to 6 weeks, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from VFS Bangkok advising me that my passport was ready for collection approximately 3 weeks after making the application.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my current passport still has 11 months to run before the expire date (February 22), also there were several pages free, so there was no real urgency.  However, I decided to do the renewal early to avoid any potential problems (like a long delay in getting a new passport because of the Covid situation) as my current extension of permission to stay is due for renewal in early September and that would mean that immigration would only give me the remaining 6 months validity left on my passport for the extension.

The next big task is notifying all those that need to know that I have a new passport number e.g. Immigration; banks; credit card; driving licence; phone service provider; hospital; local clinic; amphor (yellow book & pink card); BTS; MRT etc. etc.  Thank goodness I'm retired and time is on my side.

Yes, my early renewal was also driven by the need to ensure the new passport was available prior to my extension renewal date of early May. My old passport was due to expire in Oct21 but, as you state, missing out on a few months validity was not an issue. I also had my 5 year licences expiring in Feb21 so I decided to wait for the new passport before going forward with that process, rather than needing to change the number after the event.

The updates have mostly been sorted but your helpful list reminded me that my mobile provider also needs to be advised of the new number. Thanks.

Just happy that new passport / new licences / extension renewal have all now been completed with no drama.

My main reason for posting was to give a heads up to those whose passports are expiring in the near future. Given the continuing potential for covid related delays having your ducks in a row well in advance saves a lot of worry and hassle.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, 007 RED said:

I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from VFS Bangkok advising me that my passport was ready for collection approximately 3 weeks after making the application.

I'm in the same position, also rather impressed by the speed between application and delivery.Could you very kindly let me know which days and between what times the new passport can be collected.Is an appointment needed?

I've looked on line and there's some conflicting information.My present understanding is Mondays or Wednesdays, between 1 pm and 3 pm no appointment needed.Is that right?

On 4/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, 007 RED said:

I submitted my application to VFS (Bangkok) on the 17 March and collected new passport today, 9 April.  Taking into account there was an Easter holiday (2 working days), this represented a total turn-round time of 15 working days, which I think is very good.

Good to hear.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm in the same position, also rather impressed by the speed between application and delivery.Could you very kindly let me know which days and between what times the new passport can be collected.Is an appointment needed?

I've looked on line and there's some conflicting information.My present understanding is Mondays or Wednesdays, between 1 pm and 3 pm no appointment needed.Is that right?

Correct: just show up at this time on Monday or Wednesday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jayboy said:

As Safarimike11 above said, you can collect your new passport on either Monday or Wednesday and no appointment is needed.... but note the collection time is between 1:00pm and 2:00pm only.

Please be advised that VFS is closed this coming Wednesday (14th) because of Songkran holiday. 

As Safarimike11 above said, you can collect your new passport on either Monday or Wednesday and no appointment is needed.... but note the collection time is between 1:00pm and 2:00pm only.

Please be advised that VFS is closed this coming Wednesday (14th) because of Songkran holiday. 

Many thanks.I'm grateful to you and Safarimike11.I'll collect it next week.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, 007 RED said:

Just as an afterthought given the developing COVID situation in Thailand, is there a web page which gives telephone numbers, opening hours etc for VFS Trendy Building? I can't find one.

I submitted an application for a new UK passport this morning and I was told that I would have to wait eleven weeks for it to be delivered. That could be a conservative estimation, of course, and it may come earlier.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:20 AM, OJAS said:

Out of interest how much did it cost you in the end to comply satisfactorily with HMPO's ridiculously over-fussy passport photo requirements?

Costs me 100 Baht in the local Kodak shop, used to be 90, for a set of 12, they have a display of sizes on the counter to select the correct size, and always they give you the option of background color, when taking the photo's.

I will admit the girl in the shop speaks good English which helps to advise the camera man who doesn't.

I am out in the sticks as they would say at the north end of Phetchabun Province (6 hours north of Bangkok).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm impressed.

We handed in all our paperwork to renew daughter's passport on 07th of April.

1 week later, we got an email from the UK (southport team 4) saying that the countersignatory must be a UK, European etc citizen. I made the error and a Thai signed it.

I asked another person to provide his details and send it to southport team4 and today, I go an email to say that passport is available to be picked up at VFS.

Good service;

On 5/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, AlfHuy said:

1 week later, we got an email from the UK (southport team 4) saying that the countersignatory must be a UK, European etc citizen. I made the error and a Thai signed it.

Whereas DWP, on the other hand, whose witnessing requirements for State Pension life certificates are claimed to be identical to HMPO's countersignatory requirements for new passports, have absolutely no objection to State Pension life certificates being witnessed  by suitable Thai nationals!

• Like 2