4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is just one example, getting even a 30 millisecond mains jolt could be rather more interesting specially if you are up a ladder for instance.

On an electric fence the duration is about 100 microseconds and that is enough to make one think.

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is just one example, getting even a 30 millisecond mains jolt could be rather more interesting specially if you are up a ladder for instance.

So note to self, don't use a ladder when working electrics, if you don't have earthed electrics.

Joking aside, I have earthed electrics, and RCBO's.

Not so long ago I was performing some maintenance on a water pump, which is in an earthed socket, has an RCBO on the main and sub circuit, and when I touched an uninsulated wire I got a jolt.

I didn't count how many milliseconds it was, and the RCBO tripped, but I still got the jolt.

Additional info, the pump house has it's own earth rod right next to the pump house.

There is another rod right next to the main pump house where the sub panel with the RCBO is, and 2 rods at the house where the main breaker box with the main RCBO is

Edited by Susco
8 hours ago, Susco said:

I didn't count how many milliseconds it was, and the RCBO tripped, but I still got the jolt.

This is something many don't understand, an RCD/RCBO won't prevent you from getting a shock if you make direct contact with a live wire, but it will limit the duration of that shock and (hopefully) prevent you from dying.

For a metal cased Class-1 appliance the first line of defence is the earthed metal box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1