Thailand reports 212 new COVID-19 cases

rooster59

47 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

So I was just talking to my better half about this, and she agress with me that the numbers touted each day are nowhere near the truth. I asked her, where can we even get tested in Ubon - Is there a clinic/COVID testing booth/drive thru or something? To which she replied; No, we have to go to a hospital.

She then said; "Who's going to go and get tested anywhay when you have to pay for the test? If your infected, you can't work, your friends and family can't work, why would people bother?" This is why folks aren't getting tested - you have to pay for the test. Obviously the biggest obstacle to testing in Thailand.

My better half agrees

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Well, the UK reported 52,618 new cases yesterday with 1,162 further deaths and they think that that is fantastic result as it was down from 62,000 cases per day, say the spin doctors (not the NHS). Sweden, the great beacon of original hope that had few restrictions during the first wave has closed shops and public transport. The seemingly draconian measures taken Thai authorities are frankly fine by me - we still end with more freedom that a UK lock down. We don't need the problems the West is facing right now.

Erm, where are you getting your information from? The situation is getting worse and the daily figures are higher than ever. Yesterday;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

January 8th

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55598918

On Friday 1,325 deaths within 28 days of a positive Covid test were recorded in the UK - the highest daily figure yet - along with 68,053 new cases.

Government sources say there is likely to be more focus from police on enforcing rather than explaining rules.

"With over 1,000 people dying yesterday it's more important than ever everyone sticks to rules," a source told the BBC.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

But these are dead simple to calculate, are they not?

Yep, just don't see that being done here on this forum, or by any of the Thai media, or the government.

From the news reports I read here every day, they don't even manage to distinguish between the number of locals vs. the number of migrants who are being held in hospitals/field hospitals... Just give 1 overall total.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

That was a single confined outbreak after a year of successful testing

I would hardly call it a year off successfully testing ,more like selective testing.....in that year of testing thailand done 1.2 million tests the U.K. did 54 million.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

and here people wet their pants for 1 death once and a while ...

where to get the AGE of the death ? anything below 50 ?

I don’t know for Thailand but the average UK COVID death age is in the 80s.

Younger people have died, of course, but at at an extremely low mortality rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sapson said:

An example of thailands attitude to testing.

Chatting with an ex girlfriend today, she told me a week ago she was feeling unwell sore throat slight fever general fatigue, went to the main regional hospital here in a major town in Issan.

Was told you have flu and was denied a requested Covid test because she hadnt been to the southern high risk areas and was sent home to the village with paracetamol and it was suggested she go and pay for a test at a private hospital if she was that concerned.

Her village had at least a dozen or so factory workers from the South visit over the New Year period.

Testing is being discouraged and not made freely available to the general Thai population.

That would really be a concern.

I talked to my local (private) hospital some time back about the rules. They said that a doctor makes the decision based on your symptoms, if any, and history of possible exposure. If the doctor thinks a test is called for, the hospital calls a central number of an authorization code. With the authorization, the test is free even for for the hospital, it's not a financial issue for them.

• Like 2