No Alcohol in Restaurants?

DrPhibes

So, we went to Mae Chock Plaza to eat lunch and saw a no alcohol sign on the door and inquired within.  The manager said no Chiang Mai restaurants can have alcohol until January 31st.  We went to another one who said basically the same thing.  I came home and went online to TAT and saw that restaurants in Chiang Mai can not serve alcohol between 11pm and 5am and that was dated 2 days ago.   Had the wife go look up if a local restriction was imposed by the governor or such and she could find nothing.  Where is this restriction coming from?

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/01/tat-update-summary-of-provincial-covid-19-control-measures-as-of-6-january-2021/

Thanks!

There's a thread on the alcohol ban here... 

On Thursday (7th Jan) I had no problem getting beer at my local drinking spot / outdoor food area (albeit in a coca cola cup complete with lid & straw) but Friday there was no chance.

I haven't bothered to check today but some of my mates have gone out for an afternoon beer after golf so there must be some places open in Bangkok, I'm quite looking forward to 2-3 weeks detox. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can thank an idiot woman who went all over the city spreading her virus. Now there are 14 cases related to the time she spent in Warm Up! So essentially there is no alcohol on sale in any bar or restaurant until January 31st at the earliest. Happy New Year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

So, we went to Mae Chock Plaza to eat lunch and saw a no alcohol sign on the door and inquired within.  The manager said no Chiang Mai restaurants can have alcohol until January 31st.  We went to another one who said basically the same thing.  I came home and went online to TAT and saw that restaurants in Chiang Mai can not serve alcohol between 11pm and 5am and that was dated 2 days ago.   Had the wife go look up if a local restriction was imposed by the governor or such and she could find nothing.  Where is this restriction coming from?

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/01/tat-update-summary-of-provincial-covid-19-control-measures-as-of-6-january-2021/

Thanks!

6th January is old news, you need to get your wife to check the latest changes on alcohol restrictions !

I'm sorry guys, we still can not find any government source that says Chiang Mai has a ban on alcohol sales by restaurants.  That ban is for red zones and a few others that have declared such.  The article on saying ban since Jan 4th was the red zones announcement.  If someone can please point out where in English or Thai this is legally a statement we would be greatfull. Not that I'm gunna die if I don't get a beer with my meal.  Just looking out for the restaurants.

As always, thanks in advance!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I'm sorry guys, we still can not find any government source that says Chiang Mai has a ban on alcohol sales by restaurants.  That ban is for red zones and a few others that have declared such.  The article on saying ban since Jan 4th was the red zones announcement.  If someone can please point out where in English or Thai this is legally a statement we would be greatfull. Not that I'm gunna die if I don't get a beer with my meal.  Just looking out for the restaurants.

No restaurant can serve alcohol was announced on the 7th, effective from the 8th.  good hunting !

33 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I was also of the opinion that the present ban is for red zones only. I went to an upper level restaurant for lunch in Chiang Mai today and was told there is no alcohol served from 7th to 31st January 2021. They referred to the publication attached. Not sure whether Chiang Mai provincial government or the restaurant management make a false interpretation - incompetence at it's best, as always.....

137218283_1912061232315660_4165585094454062702_o.jpg

135544786_1912061222315661_4656871311435874015_o.jpg

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

There's a thread on the alcohol ban here... 

On Thursday (7th Jan) I had no problem getting beer at my local drinking spot / outdoor food area (albeit in a coca cola cup complete with lid & straw) but Friday there was no chance.

I haven't bothered to check today but some of my mates have gone out for an afternoon beer after golf so there must be some places open in Bangkok, I'm quite looking forward to 2-3 weeks detox. 

Very good sir

2 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

I was also of the opinion that the present ban is for red zones only. I went to an upper level restaurant for lunch in Chiang Mai today and was told there is no alcohol served from 7th to 31st January 2021. They referred to the publication attached. Not sure whether Chiang Mai provincial government or the restaurant management make a false interpretation - incompetence at it's best, as always.....

alc.png.29e2f76d12c23a78229bc7d2f5df0816.png

Yes, this is about Chiang Mai, and point 2 says no alcohol. (In point 1 they refer to 5:00 to 23:00, but this is only for the opening times, not in regards to selling alcohol)

• Like 2

OKey Doke,

Thanks Paddyfield7 for the document.  Wife had to read it several times and look up a word.

So it seems to be a local government edict for Chiang Mai where you can eat in a restaurant between 5am and 11pm but can not drink alcohol on the premises.  You can buy alcohol from the restaurant and take it home to consume.  From 11pm to 5am, food must be taken home, can not consume on the restaurant premises.

Of course the selling of alcohol between 11am -2pm and 5pm to midnight is also still in affect and overlaid on top of this edict.

Also says while not a law, penalties can be up to 1 yr in jail and/or 100k baht fine.

Wife says it is written not as clear as it could be and that is what might be causing confusion.

Thanks everyone, moderator can close this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommers said:

It is quite clear. Bars closed and no alcohol in any eatery until Jan 31st earliest. And if we continue to see infections spread by that idiot woman, now 14 and counting, it could be extended.

Does that include the large G&T to use to sanitize the hands and then the inside of the mouth in case the food has contracted COVID?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

My god everyday Alcohol Alcohol Alcohol , does anybody think maybe  Farang have problem with ALCOHOL 

Its the subject of the thread which reflects freedom of choice as well as the efficacy or otherwise of banning alcohol in the fight against covid. Do you have a problem with these ideas being discussed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

bringing this up... How is it now ? I live further north, here all normal (you can order alcool) except must close at 22h00. And I think no bars, but restaurants ok (anyway all the "bars" up here are doing food so they consider themselves as restaurants).

How is it in town, can you enjoy a glass of wine while eating without being an outlaw ?

Cheers !

Thanks for your input.... But still no one answers the question... Guess should have asked if giving 10'000 bht to my girlfriend was a wise thing to do, I would have received many answers in an hour...

So the answer is yes, you can have a glass of wine when eating in a restaurant (thaivisa.com is not the only information source and hopefully!). Bars are still closed.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, brommers said:

You can thank an idiot woman who went all over the city spreading her virus. Now there are 14 cases related to the time she spent in Warm Up! So essentially there is no alcohol on sale in any bar or restaurant until January 31st at the earliest. Happy New Year.

Hang on, there is just one idiot woman in Thailand?