Pompeo lifts 'self-imposed restrictions' on U.S.-Taiwan relationship

rooster59

40 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

China will not be impressed but they only stand over and bully countries that are smaller and weaker than they are, they are totally scared of the USA, that's why they have rattled their cage and done nothing about taking back Taiwan for the past 72 years, cowards!

Yeah, if only China had some heroic ninja keyboard warriors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

China will not be impressed but they only stand over and bully countries that are smaller and weaker than they are, they are totally scared of the USA, that's why they have rattled their cage and done nothing about taking back Taiwan for the past 72 years, cowards!

Logistics alone dictate that neither side will “win” but the people of Taiwan will certainly lose.  The Chinese are clever enough to understand that a population of 24 million taken at the point of a gun is more trouble than it is worth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Yeah? Tell that to the 7.5 million people of Hong Kong and you can add to that, China has aspirations that go far beyond dominating just those two countries. The Chinese are not as clever as you think. 

hong kong is a country?

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Yeah? Tell that to the 7.5 million people of Hong Kong and you can add to that, China has aspirations that go far beyond dominating just those two countries. The Chinese are not as clever as you think. 

Their god is money and if they go to war with Hong Kong and Taiwan most of the rest of the world will place massive sanctions on them which means they’ll be back in the Stone Age within 6 months because they are an export economy. I’m pretty sure they’re smart enough to know that! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is one question, where as much as I hate myself for this, I agree with the Trump administration.

I've lived in both China and Taiwan, and much as they might well have been one people before, they have diverged so much apart  from speaking the same language, they are two very different people.

The US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, I could go on, may well have been British in the past but no one would today argue that they are part of the same country or culture, yet we share the same language.

There was a point where Taiwanese flirted with the idea, when I lived there, that they could potentially live the one country two systems model.

That, talking to friends now is totally shattered.

I used to go to meetings at the American Institute, which is in effect the American Embassy in Taipei, but to maintain the illusion of the One China Policy can't be called that.

This may be late in the game, and I wish the US had forced this issue 20 years ago, probably at the time of the HK handover, when Beijing was a whole lot weaker, but it was, and is something that needs to be resolved and Taiwan's position as a sovereign State finally resolved

I also agree with the decision.  However the decision could have been made at any time since Jan 20, 2016.  The only reason to make it now is to leave the Biden administration another huge problem to deal with.

In every way possible Trump is trying to set up the Biden administration to fail.  This is contrary to every handover in power in living memory.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

China will make all SEA countries in states that the Han Chinese will eventually take over. Cambodia and Loa are almost there, Thailand isn't far behind. They will use their economic might and the control they have over SEA's water supply.

While your prognostication may well be true, it doesn't have much to do with this thread, does it?

• Like 1