New wave of infections could be over by end of Jan: DDC

rooster59

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

The UK never closed the airports properly

They had the best cards from all the countries in Europe....

No borders to neighboring countries to worry about.

Citizens who obey the rules of their government without questioning.

In other words they have done a tremendous job.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The official daily new case count is certainly going in the right direction.

They are, but this does not rule out future flare ups.

A lot depends on whether the virus gets into a setting conducive to widely spreading.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The new wave of coronavirus infections could be all but over by the end of January, the chief of Thailand’s Disease Control Department has said. 

I really do hope this premonition is not by some chance linked to the upcoming Chinese New Year ........!!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Right now, i wouldn't buy a used car from this man or anyone with similar 'predictions' of the imminent end to the pandemic y the month's end...

I do have a car to sell and I am not making any predictions. Interested ? ????

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Surely the use of the word 'could' implies reasonable optimism

only in his little world

the use of the word "could" makes his statement worthless - it's not a statement at all actually, it is more like wishful thinking  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They are, but this does not rule out future flare ups.

A lot depends on whether the virus gets into a setting conducive to widely spreading.

A good point...rolling into the second pandemic year it's really starting to bite and I'm reading that it will take years to roll-out vaccinations worldwide.

This guy could be right!  Now that the light is being shined on the border and they got troops stationed so no brown or red envelope exchanges they have slow down the virus!  Take that with people staying home and following procedure a small thing it could happen?????

• Confused 2

I believe ther is a little hope for optimisim as the severe areas appear to be holding & not exploding.

A 2 week nation wide lockdown with no travel & everybody obeying the rules (if that is possible)

along with an almighty effort by ALL Government servants to stick to the rules (no graft monies to turn conveniently blind) which is why it got out of hand in the first place & there would be a possibility of returning to the "new" normal by end of February.

I am allowed to dream !!!

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I would like to see the actual stats on testing

This is the progress of testing in Europe:

Testing starts with tiny orange/red dots on the map of Europe.

2 weeks later the orange dots disappeared and the red dots are getting bigger. After 1 month it looks like the map of Europe had a fight with the Heinz tomato ketchup bottle.

I am unfortunately still in New Zealand. It is time the every one realised, covid is here to stay. Don't keep saying it will be over soon, it won't. I have a partner and 2 children I have not seen for 17mths. I would do anything to see them, but nit give the the virus.. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I believe ther is a little hope for optimisim as the severe areas appear to be holding & not exploding.

A 2 week nation wide lockdown with no travel & everybody obeying the rules (if that is possible)

along with an almighty effort by ALL Government servants to stick to the rules (no graft monies to turn conveniently blind) which is why it got out of hand in the first place & there would be a possibility of returning to the "new" normal by end of February.

I am allowed to dream !!!

More than a little hope for me. In my area (Banglamung) people seem to be, by and large, taking the lockdown seriously. From a height of 50+ cases per day, Banglamung recorded just 11 cases yesterday. As with the first lockdown, it appears to be working.

However, if the first lockdown is anything to go by, the authorities will require to see zero cases for at least a month before any serious easing of restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to  believe the optimistic predictions,  but, my  addiction to sobriety  gets  in the  way.  And,  yet,  the  control  of  incidence  here during last year, as  the  "west"  was  ravaged  ...  kindles (probably foolish) hope.

~o:37,

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."
Woody Allen

There is no evidence to support this cavalier and extremely unlikely prediction that the second wave will be under control by the end of the month. Just wishful thinking. They are only testing people with symptoms and those thrown up by contact tracing.  So the reported cases must be hugely understated.  If they did mass testing in red zones, they would undoubtedly uncover a lot more infections and have a better chance of containing it within two or three months but three weeks with the minimal efforts they are making is highly optimistic.  There is also no clear plan disclosed for vaccination which one would think would be a key element in controlling the pandemic.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

See the word 'could' in the headline? That's pretty positive evidence that this guy wants to get his name in the papers, doesn't mind flying a kite to do so but doesn't want anyone to later be able to say he was wrong.

In other words, the truth is he just doesn't know but wants people to think he might.

Call me a cynic...

Edited by Glaswegian2