New wave of infections could be over by end of Jan: DDC

rooster59

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

????????????

Of course.  I think the opposite is what he actually said.  Proofreading, like I need to do as well.....lol

..these guys obviously have never been to the great big ocean...there is naturally wave after wave after wave.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

NOT is missing from between "should" and "drop".

I would not be that optimistic.

Now there is cold season. People get sick from catching cold, hypothermia, probably less than half population do have water heaters in showers.

Virus thrives in cold and in dry conditions - so it's the opposite what was the case during the first wave.

In the spring there were few infections and very strict rules (lock downs, closures, prohibition, night curfew, cancelled public transport and many others).

Now infections are in the range of thousand per day, with much lesser restrictions.

Judging by what's happening in Malaysia, Birma, as well as elsewhere, the second wave would last longer, than january. I would think till the beginning of March, when high temperatures would kill virus

Says the leading Thaivisa expert and epidemiologist. Cold season? Pretty darned cold and dry here in Bangkok today. Is it my imagination or are you perpetrating the myth that one "catches cold" from being in cold weather? You catch an illness from exposure to the pathogen. Person to person. Doesn't matter if you're frozen or well done, at the North Pole or at the equator. These are established medical facts. Period, end of story. Not all viruses are the same, and cold/flu viruses are exponentially different from corona virus. Corona is like something from another planet. Viruses like this are spread through close contact, and in colder countries people are closer together and in larger groups in the winter. The fact that some viruses may survive longer in colder weather is an insignificant factor. I haven't seen it snow in Thailand in my 8 years here, have you? And is there a hypothermia epidemic?  Caused by cold showers? "People get sick from catching cold, hypothermia, probably less than half population do have water heaters in showers" . Do you know the definition of hypothermia or are you just throwing words around? And I never heard the World Health Organization declare the lack of hot showers to be a cause of covid, or of hypothermia. Water heaters or not, how cold can running water possibly get in a tropical country like Thailand? If you're going to pose as an expert at LEAST do your proper research, even if it only amounts to a cursory wikipedia search. And DON'T just make stuff up merely to flesh out your impressive treatise on the subject. Spreading half truth and misinformation is actually harmful, so use your head and do some research, get your terms and facts straight, and don't make stuff up. You can't judge what's happening in Thailand by comparing it to the failures of other countries, unless you are using those countries as examples of how NOT to do things. Just about every country in the world has made the same mistakes. I have every confidence in the way Thailand is handling things, and I give credibility to what is stated in the article. It needs to be stressed that covid is spread directly between people who are not taking protective measures, and it doesn't matter what the outside temperature or season is or how long you think the virus may survive outside of people. It is spread in close crowds and when people do not wear masks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the cold goes and the humidity returns along with increased heat the cases will 'dry up' - just like last year.

When does it start to really warm up again, mid February to March I think, of course this differs by area.

It's becoming clearer that high humidity and high temperature together at the same time really slow down the proliferation of this virus, the complete opposite also being true - the colder and dryer it is the easier it is for it to spread.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

????????????

Of course.  I think the opposite is what he actually said.  Proofreading, like I need to do as well.....lol

Beat me to it, but this is also a bit confusing:-

"There are 20 provinces that have reported a new case in at least seven days, Dr Opas said, while a further 20 have not reported a single infection".

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

If there were a million asymptomatic cases the would be at least a couple hundred symptomatic cases and 10s of thousands requiring hospitalization. That is clearly not the case.

Exactly, people should be careful what they wish for.

Many on this forum are so anti government they are hoping for the numbers to escalate.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

infections could be all but over by the end of January,

Oh really - the airport staffer at Chiang Mai and many possible contacts? Posted on my Facebook page early today (from a friend in Thailand), two new Covid-19 positive persons in Khon Kaen who had returned from visiting relatives in Ang Thong. 3 Thai refreshment establishments listed. (reference:- www.esandailyonline.com 6 January 2021).

• Like 1

Some people believe that an asymptomatic or mild symptom case of COVID is no worse than the common influenza.  There are now several videos on YouTube in which doctors explain that these sort of cases can lead to neurological damage eventually resulting in Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and other neurological problems.   They can be found by searching on Google.  COVID is a vicious disease!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The official daily new case count is certainly going in the right direction.

And the unofficial case count is? More importantly what's the real trend?  I'm not comfortable with any of the numbers being accurate that I am seeing.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

On the Eastern Seaboard, one of the areas that have reported the highest number of cases from the new wave, the number of new infections appeared to be coming under control, with Rayong, Trat and Chanthaburi all reporting either no new cases or a reduction in cases from previous days.

All seems a little bit contrived to me.

New wave of infections could be over by end of Jan: DDC

800_e6c898f165c82c9.jpg

The new wave of coronavirus infections could be all but over by the end of January, the chief of Thailand’s Disease Control Department has said. 

Speaking on Friday, Dr Opas Kankawinpong said that Thailand is on course to see an decrease in the number of new daily cases by the end of January. 

Dr Opas credited Thailand’s response in controlling the new wave infections and said the   fact that 20 provinces have reported no  new infections was a good sign.

He said the response of the health authorities, as well public cooperation in wearing face masks, washing hands and following official guidelines, has all contributed to helping control the spread of the disease.

Dr Opas’s comments came after Thailand last week reported a significant reduction in the amount of new cases, while it also reported large numbers of people being discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

There are 20 provinces that have reported a new case in at least seven days, Dr Opas said, while a further 20 have not reported a single infection. 19 provinces have less than 10 cases, 10 provinces have between 11 and 50 cases and 8 provinces have over 50 cases. 

However, Dr Opas stressed that people should drop their guard in the fight against the virus and stressed the importance of mask wearing , social distancing and other preventive measures.

The news comes as Thailand on Saturday reported just a slight increase in cases from the previous day. 

On the Eastern Seaboard, one of the areas that have reported the highest number of cases from the new wave, the number of new infections appeared to be coming under control, with Rayong, Trat and Chanthaburi all reporting either no new cases or a reduction in cases from previous days.

In Chonburi, 40 new cases were reported, 35 of which were in Sriracha and 5 in Banglamung.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-10

The new wave of coronavirus infections could be all but over by the end of January, the chief of Thailand’s Disease Control Department has said. 

I 'Could' be a lottery winner by the end of January.......(if only I played it????????????

Edited by MRJOHNNY

7 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

The first and second paragraph also have a different meaning. The first says it will be over, the second says it will decrease. 

And then the second paragraph says we will see a decrease by the end of January but then this paragraph below says it has already happened this week.

Read the link, it makes more sense.

But it does say "could" and not "will". "could" is much safer if it turns out that he's wrong.

1 hour ago, Donga said:

I believe he's on the money.

Thailand has the contact tracing processes to control Covid without having to test, test, test as they are forced to do in so many countries where Covid is clearly out of control.

Thailand is a model for Covid management, as recognised by world bodies, and don't understand why so many people on this forum think otherwise. 

Sometimes it is difficult to say if someone is dead serious or just making fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Good to see he's consulted his fortune teller!

its more fair to save cynical jokes for your home country and be more generous with gratitude to Thailand, the country you choose out of free will and which protected you against a covid crisis.

After one year the usa still cant control this crisis. 4000 daily deaths.

Other western countries similar death rates and some again lockdown.

Mocking a country that so well controls a pandemic just isnt smart nor fair.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

For God sake, someone shoot me before I become old, grumpy and start believing the world is ending!

YAY to Thailand, did the right thing AGAIN, and soon we will be back to zero. Then soon after the darn China vaccines will arrive, and soon after that the one's the USA is using will arrive, my shoulder is ready! Thanks Lord Buddha .

Cheer up you old farts! 

• Thanks 1