A closer look at Thailand’s (non-mandatory) contact tracing apps

rooster59

A closer look at Thailand’s (non-mandatory) contact tracing apps

MorChana_3.jpg

The ‘MorChana’ contact tracing application on a smartphone.

Two mobile applications, ThaiChana and MorChana, have become popular in Thailand after millions felt compelled to download them in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak early last year.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) recommends that people use both apps, which are designed to boost authorities’ efforts to control the highly contagious disease by tracing users’ movements.

On Thursday, CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin switched from recommending MorChana to suggesting its use was mandatory in Thailand, warning of severe punishment for those who refused to obey. However, after loud public complaints that the move invaded privacy and was unfair to those who don’t own a smartphone, Taweesilp quickly backtracked.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-closer-look-at-thailands-non-mandatory-contact-tracing-apps/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samtam said:

Since using the QR code scanner I have received many more spam adverts on my phone. Coincidence?

Yes. Been using it for months and still get only the usual AIS top up at least 100 baht and get free 30 minutes calling good for 24 hours. I'd welcome some more interesting spam

• Like 1

I looked at the morchana app on playstore yesterday.  The reviews kept me from downloading it. There were 3 main complaints.  It used up to 15G of your data a month.  The battery drained much faster.  And it just did not work on a lot of phones. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tonray said:

ThaiChana only need to scan upon entrance, it provides it's own checkout button once scanned in. 

So no need to scan the code again upon checkout as with the Line App? Oke that's good to know!

Edit: Oke question then, what about this scenario. You check-in to Big-C, but after that you check-in into MK Restaurants, with the line app, you then check-out from MK, and then check-out from Big-C (read; Scan the QR code again and select checkout)

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

As I understand it, with the ThaiChana APP you scan the Barcodes when you go into a Shop and scan it again when you leave. (I was using the Line App to do that, but will start using the ThaiChana App)

The MorChana app is that you need to have Bluetooth and GPS on all the time (together with internet) so when you go into a Shop your phone makes contact with other Phones that have the MorChana app installed.

When later they find out that someone is infected with Covid-19 the App knows and will notify all persons that were in the proximity of that person. (hence the reason for having Bluetooth and GPS on all the time)

Thanks for the  information.
Sounds like a very nice piece of software
Going to download this today!

Edited by Kaopad999

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Thanks for the  information.
Sounds like a very nice piece of software
Going to download this today!

:wai:

What I will be doing is, when going into a Shop turn on bluetooth/gps on my PHONE start the Morchana app and when leaving the shop I turn off GPS/Bluetooth and close the Morchana app.

Having both GPS and Bluetooth on continuously will be a big drain on your Battery. (and no idea how much Cellular data this app will be using.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

:wai:

What I will be doing is, when going into a Shop turn on bluetooth/gps on my PHONE start the Morchana app and when leaving the shop I turn off GPS/Bluetooth and close the Morchana app.

Having both GPS and Bluetooth on continuously will be a big drain on your Battery. (and no idea how much Cellular data this app will be using.)

Thank you for the tips :wai:

Edited by Kaopad999

49 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So no need to scan the code again upon checkout as with the Line App? Oke that's good to know!

Edit: Oke question then, what about this scenario. You check-in to Big-C, but after that you check-in into MK Restaurants, with the line app, you then check-out from MK, and then check-out from Big-C (read; Scan the QR code again and select checkout)

It keeps a running list with elapsed time counters for each place checked into. No need to check out for example at the Mall before you check into a shop in the mall. Each counter has its own independent checkout button. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

It keeps a running list with elapsed time counters for each place checked into. No need to check out for example at the Mall before you check into a shop in the mall. Each counter has its own independent checkout button. 

Perfect thx for the explanation!

With the Line APP, you have to check out by scanning the QR code again, and then select Check-out!. This (ThaiChana) makes it easier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Backslider said:

also any social media apps, google, facebook, even sites like this should be avoided if privacy is a priority

That's true. Many of these apps require you to turn on your location services on you cell phone for them to be fully functional.

4 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Does it need a data/wifi connection all the time?

Yes, it does. AND an active Bluetooth connection, too. As somebody noted in a relevant post yesterday, you can manually disable both Bluetooth and WiFi -- BUT: that impairs the app's functionality, i.e. making it useless.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No thanks. Giving the government that kind of power over my life, liberty and freedom is not something that is interesting on any level. I don't care what they tell us. They will abuse that kind of invasive app. This administration has shown itself as being draconian, power hungry, controlling, and far reaching too many times already. 

Isn't it time for your 90 day report ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes. Been using it for months and still get only the usual AIS top up at least 100 baht and get free 30 minutes calling good for 24 hours. I'd welcome some more interesting spam

Like Covid-19 insurance?

The others were urls I just deleted, as they may have had a virus...and I don't mean the virus.