Current travel restrictions between provinces

MrKFC

I'm in Chiang Mai but usually go south to Nakorn Sri Thammarat for a few weeks when the air gets awful, coming soon, but have heard that for now they're requiring a 14 day quarantine when returning from the southern provinces. 

Wondering if anyone knows where I can check on current restrictions for travel between provinces? I assume it's changing every day with the new outbreak ...

Thanks,

DS 

TAT website has a daily update with provincial restrictions. A recent update gave details of what domestic airlines were reducing or suspending flights. If the situation deteriorates further, one may find oneself stuck down south and either forbidden to travel home or all the airlines grounded.

However, the overriding message is stay at home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

TAT website has a daily update with provincial restrictions. A recent update gave details of what domestic airlines were reducing or suspending flights. If the situation deteriorates further, one may find oneself stuck down south and either forbidden to travel home or all the airlines grounded.

However, the overriding message is stay at home.

I have looked at the TAT website, but it seems that Air Asia has not canceled flights to certain locations and will not be allowing cancelations right now to Chiang Mai.

TAT Update: Status of interprovincial travel in Thailand amid strict COVID-19 controls - TAT Newsroom

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have looked at the TAT website, but it seems that Air Asia has not canceled flights to certain locations and will not be allowing cancelations right now to Chiang Mai.

TAT Update: Status of interprovincial travel in Thailand amid strict COVID-19 controls - TAT Newsroom

The key words are "right now". It's very dynamic and AirAsia are more 'dynamic' than most with flights being pulled same day. The same goes for Bangkok Airways but they tend to give better advance notice. It's always best to check DIRECT with the airlines website to confirm what's available.

Better still, stay away from airports and stay home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The key words are "right now". It's very dynamic - always best to check DIRECT with the airlines website to confirm what's available.

Better still, stay away from airports and stay home!

I did the train two years ago, and thinking that would probably be the best choice this time - but I bought a pretty good air purifier yesterday in case it turns out that it's obviously a bad idea to go at all - and it's kinda looking like it could go that way. O well.
Thanks!

DS 

Yes, there was an announcement in CM a few days ago that anyone arriving from a red zone province would need to home quarantine for 14 days.

However, I just spoke to a German friend who left Pattaya this morning to Don Mueang, then to CM.

He did not have any official permission travel documents and took a taxi.  He said there were no checkpoints on the highway. When he arrived at the airport,  he filled out a one page health check form and boarded.

When he arrived at CM airport, it was a similar form.

He said no one told him to quarantine and no additional health checks were conducted.

So, I am not sure if these checkpoints are only at certain times or what.  But he got through without any hassle whatsoever.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, there was an announcement in CM a few days ago that anyone arriving from a red zone province would need to home quarantine for 14 days.

However, I just spoke to a German friend who left Pattaya this morning to Don Mueang, then to CM.

He did not have any official permission travel documents and took a taxi.  He said there were no checkpoints on the highway. When he arrived at the airport,  he filled out a one page health check form and boarded.

He said no one told him to quarantine and no additional health checks were conducted.

So, I am not sure if these checkpoints are only at certain times or what.  But he got through without any hassle whatsoever.

If nothing happens, all will be OK. But if there's an outbreak and he gets blamed for bringing virus there, it will be a very different story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

As your friends account and others that have posted on here, it looks like situation normal for travelling, same as the 1st wave.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I see a whole lot of people seeking validation for being unable to follow the simple advice to "stay at home". Is it a comprehension thing or is it being selfish?

Not having a comprehension issue, but trying to garner some facts so that I can force Air Asia into creating a credit on my account for the flights scheduled in 2 weeks.  If there is a quarantine it would assist me with them, but as of now they still have the flights scheduled and will not allow a cancelation of the flight. Yes, I am staying put....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I see a whole lot of people seeking validation for being unable to follow the simple advice to "stay at home". Is it a comprehension thing or is it being selfish?

Not having a comprehension issue, but trying to garner some facts so that I can force Air Asia into creating a credit on my account for the flights scheduled in 2 weeks.  If there is a quarantine it would assist me with them, but as of now they still have the flights scheduled and will not allow a cancelation of the flight. Yes, I am staying put....

I was having a pop at the folk who, after reading about the German guy who drove up from Pattaya to Bangkok and caught a plane to Chiang Mai, thinks just because nobody asked him, it must be OK. The PM's order banning all but essential inter-provincial travel to and from Chonburi, including Pattaya, Samut Sakhon, Trat, Rayong and Chanthaburi had been issued and already in the Royal Gazette last Thursday. Also last Friday they announced four new cases in Chiang Mai. I don't think anyone in their right mind needs to be thinking about taking a break anywhere else but at home right now. As one who unsuccessfully ran the gauntlet of Vietnam's and then Thailand's border closings and visa changes last March, it's not worth the risk of getting stuck where you DO NOT want to be.

Good luck with your arm-wrestle with AirAsia though. I am not having much luck recalling good news stories from last year when they started closing routes on people with bookings. They set a new standard as an LCC and I have called it HTM for 'hand to mouth'. I don't think they're big on other people's credit.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 8:57 PM, NanLaew said:

I was having a pop at the folk who, after reading about the German guy who drove up from Pattaya to Bangkok and caught a plane to Chiang Mai, thinks just because nobody asked him, it must be OK. The PM's order banning all but essential inter-provincial travel to and from Chonburi, including Pattaya, Samut Sakhon, Trat, Rayong and Chanthaburi had been issued and already in the Royal Gazette last Thursday. Also last Friday they announced four new cases in Chiang Mai. I don't think anyone in their right mind needs to be thinking about taking a break anywhere else but at home right now. As one who unsuccessfully ran the gauntlet of Vietnam's and then Thailand's border closings and visa changes last March, it's not worth the risk of getting stuck where you DO NOT want to be.

Good luck with your arm-wrestle with AirAsia though. I am not having much luck recalling good news stories from last year when they started closing routes on people with bookings. They set a new standard as an LCC and I have called it HTM for 'hand to mouth'. I don't think they're big on other people's credit.

I'm travelling between 2 provinces ( not red zones ) tomorrow and then back on Thursday, it's not essential but something i would like to do and consider the risk very low, i will not be going anywhere with big crowds and i will not be meeting anyone who i don't know where they've been.

While i agree with some of your comments, do you expect the whole world to stop in a country where (reported) cases are a very small minority?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, at15 said:

does anyone know how rental car companies are operating during this time? I am interested in going from bangkok and dropping the car off in chiang mai. This seems like the safest and smoothest option.

I would think they will rent you a car.

However, are you staying in BKK for any time prior to your trip?

If so, you are coming from a red zone province and will need to minimum quarantine at your residence for 14 days.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would think they will rent you a car.

However, are you staying in BKK for any time prior to your trip?

If so, you are coming from a red zone province and will need to minimum quarantine at your residence for 14 days.

yes. seems like too much cost after researching with the additional 5000 baht one way rental charge. hopefully flying domestically remains mostly hassle free.