The week that was in Thailand news: A surreal week as Zombie Apocalypse, Village People, Ali G and the Three Stooges all play their part

rooster59

An altogether interesting read today Rooster.

Happy to see that you and "The Nation" are giving the government the stick it deserves.

My gripe with prayut and Co is that they have ordered schools to close and provide "On line" lessons,

which are basically worthless, but the schools charge normal fees.

8 minutes ago, off road pat said:

I didn't see last week's "The week that was" how can I see it ?   I really would like to read it !

Click the blazing blue tag with THE WEEK THAT WAS under the title at the top of the page.  It should drop down a list of three previous threads.

Screenshot 2021-01-10 171925.jpg

Edited by GarryP

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Click the blazing blue tag with THE WEEK THAT WAS under the title at the top of the page.  It should drop down a list of three previous threads.

Screenshot 2021-01-10 171925.jpg

Thank you very much !    I enjoyed that last one !!!

• Like 1

"The very sad truth is that the (woefully inadequate) security measures were deemed adequate because the demonstrators were white.

When Black people/BLM held a demonstration in the same location, heavily armed soldiers were posted on the steps, literally."

The fact is the Capitol Police are thoroughly trained in public relations apart from usual police duties since primarily their work brings them in contact with tourists and visitors to the Capitol.  Their first instinct is to try and calm people down with courteousness which usually works but unfortunately this time they were dealing with typical Trump supporters who cannot be reasoned with. 

I also think there is a plus side to their actions as had they been typical city policemen without that special training, there might have been a massacre in the Capitol with hundreds of deaths and many, many injuries.  It had nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin as some of the media who are only concerned about their TV ratings would have you believe.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I had also planned to regale the readership with memories after today completing 250 consecutive Sunday columns stretching back almost five years.

Kudos and a big "thank you" from my side to this jubilee! Writing 250 such columns means an investment of a lot of work, effort and time, and writing each one of your always long and well written pieces every week for almost 5 years requires a lot of stamina, too. Expecially as sometimes you have to meet with some headwind and resistance from your readership, including occasionally myself. Hope you will have the stamina and motivation to create the next 250. Hang in there, Rooster!

This weeks TWTW was another good one! Snappy, entertaining and very well written. Enjoyed it!

I didn't comment on the last weeks column. It hardly was your best. But of course, you know that yourself, and I understood the background. After 248 pieces, number 249 was prepared well in advance and in a very economic and time-saving way, just in order to have more time for your family during your new year holidays. If only you had known that the schools will be closed again after new year, giving you now unlimited time with your nippers at home during the coming weeks or months....

Spare a thought for your hard working columnist. At Rooster Central in Ratchayothin it was a tough week; I battled with Covid like symptoms in isolation still putting out 60+ translations while three close family members and two friends in England caught the virus. Another associate in Thailand was positive. It really felt as though the virus was finally closing in.

You have my full empathy and understanding for that!

Here in Thailand the pandemic’s “Second Wave” continued to dominate almost every story on Thaivisa, though there were a few indications later in the week that the tough measures put in place might be ‘flattening the curve’.

Well, personally I am 100% sure that Thailands curve has been a flat curve above zero (!) all the time since one year ago already, but on the other hand also that Thailand never will have to experience such a strong wave as countries on the Northern hemisphere at the moment. Simply because it is more than obvious, and confirmed by scientists as well, that the cold and wet winter in Europe is the main reason for the current situation there. Tens of thousands new cases in each country there, and hundreds of deaths per day currently, while during summer the numbers there were a few hundred new infections daily and less than 10 deaths per day. The difference between the weather in summer and in winter makes a diffence in the Covid-numbers by two orders of magnitude. And to all the farang-country-bashers in the forum: This has nothing to do with a lack of discipline, compliance and mask wearing. Looking out of the window here in Europe, hardly Thailand does reach this level of compliance and discipline the Europeans show today.

The weather in Thailand always is similar to Europe during summer, and the numbers in Thailand as well. And, it is fair to believe that the daily numbers in Thailand have been on that level during all the recent months. The crisis was under control in Europe during summer, and it has been similar in Thailand all the time. This is how the curve "flattens" now. The main difference now is that Thailand started to test more, and that the authorities now talk more open and frankly about the results. Simple and obvious. The reasons for this U-turn might be political. No, they ARE very likely political! Now, as the students temporarly have suspended their protests, a lock-down is a welcome measure to stop them for some more months. So be prepared for a longer lockdown coming.

Is there a reason for panic in Thailand now, due to Corona? From the health-perspective, hardly! Just look to the numbers of daily deaths, and compare them with the traffic carnage. But from the economic perspective, definitely! The mess will continue. The economy will suffer a lot. And the Thai government seems not to have the vaccinations as their highest priority. I even have the impression that vaccines are less than welcome here. What else could be the reason why they waited so long to order vaccines, and to order much too small numbers of doses? Not too difficult to have some guess about their selfish reasons for that.

Everyone knowing some basics about Thailand should take each announcement of the government and the authorities with a grain of salt. Also and nowadays especially when it is about Corona. 

Edited by Flying Saucage

Rooster,

A delightful read, and the smooth transition between topics/events summed up everyone's sentiments.

I would however, point out one exception: 

9/11 was tragic, it was personal, I lost a family friend on flight 93, and childhood friends on the ground and in the South Tower. 

What we learned was that "Safety and Security " are imaginary words and phrases....

Locks (as any Lock Smith will tell you), are for honest people.

If someone wants in, they'll get in. 

This fact is present in all countries where  prosperity and/or asylum exist. Thailand is no exception  

Evil people will continue to do evil things. 

I find it depressing that most people belive we (Americans) gained our independence on July 4th 1776..... when in fact we did not. In 1783 with the Treaty of Paris, was when the British Empire acknowleged America's  independence. 

Simply declaring independance by congress does not make it an international or historical fact, but we celebrate it every year.... and call it Independance Day. 

1812 War brought the British back to the original colonies, and they burned the Capitol building down.... 

The Capitol building was rebuilt from the backs of Americans, Tax paying Americans who serve they're communities, towns counties and states everyday.

it is the People of the United States who own that building....not the politicians who conduct "official government" business Inside it.

Let's be thankful it was not burned down again. 

Were the deaths unnecessary? Absolutely.

Is the United States Ready for a Revolution?

Unequivocally.

People are ready to die for corruption, tyranny and greed to end in our courts, as well as local/state/and federal government.

The protests will continue to the breaking point. 

"Sedition"  We have now heard this word from our PM in Thailand and President Elect in the US within the last 60 days.....

The New Anti protest, failing government  buzzword?  

One (not so recent)  story of Rebellion against Tyranny:  one man in Granby, Colorado....  attacked no one, fired not one shot, but destroyed as many government and corrupt business buildings that he could, before taking his own life. Law enforcement had fired over 3000 rounds of various bullet calibers....to no avail. 

The story was censored as soon as possible, The international networks never picked it up nor broadcasted this story to the rest of the country. 

God forbid we have a man, who took action and reacted to injustice by taking matters into his own hands. 

When is enough, enough?  From Trenton, New Jersey, to Pasadena, California.... Deluth , Minnesota, to Miami, Florida ;  people are getting <deleted>. All we need is a few more sparks from a flint..... any flint.  Ignition. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Kudos and a big "thank you" from my side to this jubilee! Writing 250 such columns means an investment of a lot of work, effort and time, and writing each one of your always long and well written pieces every week for almost 5 years requires a lot of stamina, too. Expecially as sometimes you have to meet with some headwind and resistance from your readership, including occasionally myself. Hope you will have the stamina and motivation to create the next 250. Hang in there, Rooster!

This weeks TWTW was another good one! Snappy, entertaining and very well written. Enjoyed it!

I didn't comment on the last weeks column. It hardly was your best. But of course, you know that yourself, and I understood the background. After 248 pieces, number 249 was prepared well in advance and in a very economic and time-saving way, just in order to have more time for your family during your new year holidays. If only you had known that the schools will be closed again after new year, giving you now unlimited time with your nippers at home during the coming weeks or months....

You have my full empathy and understanding for that!

Well, personally I am 100% sure that Thailands curve has been a flat curve above zero (!) all the time since one year ago already, but on the other hand also that Thailand never will have to experience such a strong wave as countries on the Northern hemisphere at the moment. Simply because it is more than obvious, and confirmed by scientists as well, that the cold and wet winter in Europe is the main reason for the current situation there. Tens of thousands new cases in each country there, and hundreds of deaths per day currently, while during summer the numbers there were a few hundred new infections daily and less than 10 deaths per day. The difference between the weather in summer and in winter makes a diffence in the Covid-numbers by two orders of magnitude. And to all the farang-country-bashers in the forum: This has nothing to do with a lack of discipline, compliance and mask wearing. Looking out of the window here in Europe, hardly Thailand does reach this level of compliance and discipline the Europeans show today.

The weather in Thailand always is similar to Europe during summer, and the numbers in Thailand as well. And, it is fair to believe that the daily numbers in Thailand have been on that level during all the recent months. The crisis was under control in Europe during summer, and it has been similar in Thailand all the time. This is how the curve "flattens" now. The main difference now is that Thailand started to test more, and that the authorities now talk more open and frankly about the results. Simple and obvious. The reasons for this U-turn might be political. No, they ARE very likely political! Now, as the students temporarly have suspended their protests, a lock-down is a welcome measure to stop them for some more months. So be prepared for a longer lockdown coming.

Is there a reason for panic in Thailand now, due to Corona? From the health-perspective, hardly! Just look to the numbers of daily deaths, and compare them with the traffic carnage. But from the economic perspective, definitely! The mess will continue. The economy will suffer a lot. And the Thai government seems not to have the vaccinations as their highest priority. I even have the impression that vaccines are less than welcome here. What else could be the reason why they waited so long to order vaccines, and to order much too small numbers of doses? Not too difficult to have some guess about their selfish reasons for that.

Everyone knowing some basics about Thailand should take each announcement of the government and the authorities with a grain of salt. Also and nowadays especially when it is about Corona. 

50 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Oh <deleted>..uh sorry.. FS.

How many pixels died so that you could trot out that hot/cold weather baloney (baloney is a sausage isn't it?) 555..

Can you explain all the hot weather countries that have Covid19 outbreaks?

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The very sad truth is that the (woefully inadequate) security measures were deemed adequate because the demonstrators were white.

When Black people/BLM held a demonstration in the same location, heavily armed soldiers were posted on the steps, literally.

I have many friends and family in the US, and I am deeply embarrassed for them. That said, each and every American needs to take a deep breath and figure out what has gone wrong with their country.

I sincerely hope that they can figure it out, and soon; the world is a better place with a good US to lead it.

BLM and ANTIFA burned cities down killed people caused Billions in damage and Actually were allowed to take over government buildings , neighborhoods and even a Police station . They were treated with kid gloves . If you think that this past even wasn't allowed to happen your naive . There were plenty of ANTIFA and BLM mixed in with Trumpers and caught inside . 

Edited by CLUBBER
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1