Gate Stop - Do you know where these are available in Pattaya?

Thomas J

I have a sliding gate that its stop is against one of the roller wheels.  You have to be careful that the gate is moving slowly or it damages the roller.  I am looking to put in a gate stopper.  Typically they are a compression spring that the gate bounces against and it softens the force of the gate as it closes.  I am looking for either a complete gate closer/bumper as shown in the top photograph or just a compression spring about 2.5 to 5 cm compression spring as shown in the bottom photo and I will fashion my own home made stop.  None of the hardware stores that I have been to, Thai Wasadu, Homepro, or Baan & Beyond carry them.  I have been to one motorcycle repair location and a two local hardware stores.  None carry them.  

Any idea where these might be available in Pattaya? 

How to Install Push Down Spring Bumpers - DDM Garage Doors Blog - Dan's  Garage Door Blog

Helical Compression Spring, for Industrial, Rs 300 /piece Rajeswari Springs  | ID: 15100327733

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You could use a coil-over shock absorber, or just a dead-stop with a rubber bumper or piece of tire.

I have considered the coil over shock absorber however the longer you make the shock absorber the more it extends to restricts the gate.  If the spring is only 1 to 2 cm then the gate would open except for the 1 to 2 cm.  The shock absorbers are all noticeably longer.  With the piece of tire or dead stop you have to have some way to attach to the end stop on the rail.  With a spring you can weld but no way to attach rubber. 

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Why not scrounge,beg or buy a second hand shock absorber from a  motorcycle repair shop, cut body down keeping the  eye section  to retain the spring and cut the spring down to match  your required  length? The eye can be used to bolt it to the end of the rail ? Maybe

Yes I went to a motorcycle repair store.  He "claimed" he did not have.  I would think that those places that either repair motorcycles or make the side cars for the food carts would have but I don't know where the places that make/repair the motorcycle side cars are located. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Yes I went to a motorcycle repair store.  He "claimed" he did not have.  I would think that those places that either repair motorcycles or make the side cars for the food carts would have but I don't know where the places that make/repair the motorcycle side cars are located. 

Perhaps a recycling depot ? Many have an amazing array of metallic thingys ! DIY  heaven  if  you look about .Or if just a spring try an automotive engine repair shop and see if they have  any   valve springs ? I don't know  Pattaya at all but somewhere around will be a shop that sells maintainance parts for vehicles and or agricultural machinery etc.