Dual OVER pricing still active in Krabi

Mavideol

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Really, Thai’s who become resident in Australia have to pay extra for eduction (for their Children) and have to pay a lot more for medical procedures ????

I think you’ve used some selective confirmation bias to justify the unjustifiable - your argument is flawed. 

turn it up Rich. 
“Selective confirmation bias”

But I see you didn’t address the free visa cost versus the visa cost to Thailand for Australians.

Currently the Australian Embassy charges 184,000 baht for a marriage visa if you want to take your wife to Australia. 
The visa fee for an Aussie to get a marriage visa in Thailand? 

That is just the non refundable Embassy fee. It is up to them, plenty get rejected. All up it costs about $15,000. 
If a thai is not married to an Aussie it is almost impossible, and the costs are a lot higher.
If you are 50 year old Thai bloke with no Aussie wife, you basically have no hope to obtain the medical care that you are imagining.

For an Aussie to live in Thailand it is easy, just show up and pay a small fee or deposit money into a bank that you can use 3 months later. 

I know you won’t address that Rich, because it doesn’t fit your narrative that “Thais always rip off farangs and everyone gets treated equally in Western “civilization”

Selective confirmation bias as you said. Putting up a scenario that isn’t reality.

You could visit every national park in a Thailand for $15,000 AUD and still have a lot of change.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/visa-pricing-estimator

You want dual pricing, here ya go. We stitch the Thais up for thousands.

The base fee for the combined application for an Australian partner visa is AUD 7,715. When Prospective Marriage visa holders apply for the Partner visa after they're married, they will need to pay a further AUD 1,285.

Note that is just the Embassy fee. The costs add up considerably when Somchai  finishes paying for all the hoops we make him jump through

Edited by Natai Beach

26 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

turn it up Rich. 
“Selective confirmation bias”

But I see you didn’t address the free visa cost versus the visa cost to Thailand for Australians.

Currently the Australian Embassy charges 184,000 baht for a marriage visa if you want to take your wife to Australia. 
The visa fee for an Aussie to get a marriage visa in Thailand? 

That is just the non refundable Embassy fee. It is up to them, plenty get rejected. All up it costs about $15,000. 
If a thai is not married to an Aussie it is almost impossible, and the costs are a lot higher.
If you are 50 year old Thai bloke with no Aussie wife, you basically have no hope to obtain the medical care that you are imagining.

For an Aussie to live in Thailand it is easy, just show up and pay a small fee or deposit money into a bank that you can use 3 months later. 

I know you won’t address that Rich, because it doesn’t fit your narrative that “Thais always rip off farangs and everyone gets treated equally in Western “civilization”

Selective confirmation bias as you said. Putting up a scenario that isn’t reality.

You could visit every national park in a Thailand for $15,000 AUD and still have a lot of change.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/visa-pricing-estimator

You want dual pricing, here ya go. We stitch the Thais up for thousands.

The base fee for the combined application for an Australian partner visa is AUD 7,715. When Prospective Marriage visa holders apply for the Partner visa after they're married, they will need to pay a further AUD 1,285.

Note that is just the Embassy fee. The costs add up considerably when Somchai  finishes paying for all the hoops we make him jump through

Fair enough on the Visa Fees...  Australia seems outrageous. After meeting all the requirements can a Thai secure an Australian passport after a certain period of time ?

I'ts nowhere near as expensive for my Thai Wife to move to the UK (I just have to provide proof of income). I agree, it is more expensive than securing an Non-Imm O Visa and extension of stay in Thailand. But, my wife would have far more rights than I and can work in on a Spouse Visa (or whatever it is in the UK), I am unable to work on the equivalent in Thailand. After approximately 5 years my Thai Wife can obtain British Nationality, I can’t in Thailand. 

I’m not bashing Thailand with this - I accept that there are visa differences and the Visa’s in Thailand are a lot Cheaper - but they don’t offer many rights other than than we can stay here: We have to submit TM28,  90 days reports, visit Immigration every year, can’t own a house, or a company.

So... if you are going to bring ‘Visas’ in to the fray while Thailand is certainly cheaper, the degree of rights offered with that visa is certainly not better.

And finally, after meeting all the expensive Australian visa requirements, would a foreigner who is resident have to pay more than an Australian National is expected to pay for anything ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Right.... and Western countries don't discriminate?

What about those foreign university students fees etc?

I found some restaurants in tourist areas charge more for Chinese/Western tourists than those for Thai customers. Just go elsewhere to eat.

Those tuk-tuk and red songtaew also overcharge tourists.

please, don't compare apples and oranges

17 hours ago, impulse said:

You can look at it that way and live your Thai life in a constant state of resentment. 

Back home, we call them Karens.

I made my decisions based on the value presented by the price available to me.  $6 to get into a National Park is a lot less than I pay in other parts of the world.  It's a good value.  Whether a local gets a discount or not is none of my business. 

To be fair, there are some places (like the aquarium at Siam) that cost a foreigner more than I'm willing to pay.  So I don't go.  Just like I don't sleep at the Ritz when I'm in town.

Dual pricing happens all over.  Senior discounts.  Student discounts.  Disney's resident discounts.  College tuition for citizens vs foreigners.  State park fees are often different for people with local license plates on their cars.  Fishing and hunting licenses.  And many more examples.  All of them discriminate on some basis...  Age, residency, citizenship, etc.  And all are well accepted. 

Come back and complain when they start charging black tourists more than whites, or when they start discriminating against dark skinned Thais.  Meantime, I'll accept that Thailand (Inc) is operated for the benefit of Thai people and I'll get over the $6.  And I won't spend my life in a huff like a Karen.

sorry but still have to disagree with your answer, you are mixing apples and oranges, in one sentence you say it's ok to over pay but the next sentence (like the aquarium at Siam) that cost a foreigner more than I'm willing to pay)  you say it's not ok,   as for the Ritz comparison still contradiction, the Ritz doesn't discriminate with prices for Thais and foreigners, their high price is same for all guests (unless Thai Hiso Prayut's friend  555 )

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If a Thai National obtains resident status, they get resident fees for University - the pricing is based purely on residency, not on nationality or race.

If a foreign nations obtains resident status in Thailand, the are still ‘double’ charged, the pricing is based purse on nationality. 

Having a one-year visa doesn't qualify you as a 'resident', you can only get the same price if you are a 'permanent resident'.

In western countries, they do charge extra based on nationality and not on temporary residency.

In my hometown musea give me a discount because i am a local.

In my hometown musea give my Thai wife a discount because she is a local.

In my hometown musea don't give my sister a discount, as she lives in a different town and is not a local.

No racism, no nationalism, no banana republic.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, bkk6060 said:

How is it sneaky and insulting?

From my experience seems the prices at most of these places are clearly posted, as in your photo.

Oh no they're not clearly posted at all attractions.

They sneakily post prices in Thai which befuddles most farang.

Sneaky and insulting it is.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:46 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Last year I paid 200B to enter Koh Samet while my Wife paid 40 baht. This year I paid 40baht with a pink ID card. 

I didn’t really care about the 200B last year. But I did get

Well if the pink Id card solves the problem, just get one.

What is the pink ID card called in Thai?  What are the Thai alphabets?

Edited by EricTh