Can a film on my Android be shown on a flatpanel screen?

JimmyJ

Yes, either by an HDMI cable (available for most phones) or via a screen mirroring/casting app on both devices. You could also physically move the file from one device to the other

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, Peterw42 said:

Yes, either by an HDMI cable (available for most phones) or via a screen mirroring/casting app on both devices. You could also physically move the file from one device to the other

Thanks to all who responded.

I would prefer to connect via HDMI cable rather than Google's app.

I wasn't aware smartphone to HDMI is possible until now.

It seems to be more complex than I thought it would be to get an adapter.

For the adapter. I need male Micro USB for my Android to female HDMI.

Looking on Amazon, I saw 1 adapter with that, but it said it is a "passive" cable that doesn't send data.

That 1 or another said I would need OTG (on the go) on my phone, and checking I find my phone is capable or equipped for that.

I would like to do this as simply as possible.

This one has male micro/female HDMI but mentions "MHL".

Will this adapter do it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y3V2JCR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1L0H68BWILCUE&psc=1

Would be grateful if someone could explain if more is needed.

Don't understand OTG/MHL, etc.

Also don't know if this post should be in Audio/Visual but will continue here for now.

Thanks for any assistance, guidance.

Edited by JimmyJ

On 1/10/2021 at 12:07 PM, Peterw42 said:

When I checked into this the cables were avaiable but very few phones supported transfer. Mine didn't.

22 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Thanks to all who responded.

I would prefer to connect via HDMI cable rather than Google's app.

I wasn't aware smartphone to HDMI is possible until now.

It seems to be more complex than I thought it would be to get an adapter.

For the adapter. I need male Micro USB for my Android to female HDMI.

Looking on Amazon, I saw 1 adapter with that, but it said it is a "passive" cable that doesn't send data.

That 1 or another said I would need OTG (on the go) on my phone, and checking I find my phone is capable or equipped for that.

I would like to do this as simply as possible.

This one has male micro/female HDMI but mentions "MHL".

Will this adapter do it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y3V2JCR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1L0H68BWILCUE&psc=1

Would be grateful if someone could explain if more is needed.

Don't understand OTG/MHL, etc.

Also don't know if this post should be in Audio/Visual but will continue here for now.

Thanks for any assistance, guidance.

What brand/model is your phone, most samsung will do HDMI output. Go to your local IT mall and enquire at the phone shops, most of them will have the cables and know if your phone does it. OTG is a USB connection not a video connection. MHL is video.

You can check i your phone does MHL here

https://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, tomazbodner said:

You could load (if it's not already in it) Miracast, Chromecast, or similar app, and on the phone enable wireless screen sharing. LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic surely have such apps in WebOS, AndroidOS and Firefox OS.

Does that work in the same way as the casting facility on Youtube?  I can't use a HDMI cable on my phone but Youtube casts instantly.

I have tried other methods but the thing I'd like to cast to my TV is Sky Go from Sky TV.  Sky are very clever at blocking such things. For example I also have Sky Go on my laptop but if I want to connect it to my TV through an HDMI cable, I have to do it in a certain order or Sky block it. No doubt at some time they will find the loophole - they don't want anyone watching Sky Go on their TV.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What brand/model is your phone, most samsung will do HDMI output. Go to your local IT mall and enquire at the phone shops, most of them will have the cables and know if your phone does it. OTG is a USB connection not a video connection. MHL is video.

You can check i your phone does MHL here

https://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx

I have an LG G4 (LGLS991).

I don't see it listed on that site.

Edited by JimmyJ

If your flat screen has a USB input you could get yourself one of these, a dual micro-USB / USB thumb drive.  They come in varying sizes, up to 128Gb, and other brands / models are available.  Plug the micro-USB connector into your phone and transfer the movie file, then slide out the USB connector and plug into your flat screen.

image.png.fa0bb095bafc6234180a1d18332e895c.png

image.png.3a36e554e06b11793ab9fcde9c6237eb.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

If your flat screen has a USB input you could get yourself one of these, a dual micro-USB / USB thumb drive.  They come in varying sizes, up to 128Gb, and other brands / models are available.  Plug the micro-USB connector into your phone and transfer the movie file, then slide out the USB connector and plug into your flat screen.

image.png.fa0bb095bafc6234180a1d18332e895c.png

image.png.3a36e554e06b11793ab9fcde9c6237eb.png

Interesting.

I will look into USB input.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Does that work in the same way as the casting facility on Youtube?  I can't use a HDMI cable on my phone but Youtube casts instantly.

I have tried other methods but the thing I'd like to cast to my TV is Sky Go from Sky TV.  Sky are very clever at blocking such things. For example I also have Sky Go on my laptop but if I want to connect it to my TV through an HDMI cable, I have to do it in a certain order or Sky block it. No doubt at some time they will find the loophole - they don't want anyone watching Sky Go on their TV.

I don't have Sky and this is not 100% perfect quality (it does compress image so it drops colour and gradients don't look as nice as on mobile screen) but for what I have used so far (iPhone, Xiaomi, Oppo and Huawei phones), I have never seen an issue. And it's free to try, nothing to buy. So just load app on the TV to screen share, load same app on phone (say LG will ask you to load the app from QR code on the TV screen but Sony uses built-in one) and give it a shot to connect and then try to play. See what happens. Apps like these are always free.

Start from the beginning. Why are you using your phone in the first place? Is it because you don't have a PC or that you want to view the material away from home?

There may be a better way; so let's find out a bit more. TV model? You might, dependent on the model, be able to play direct via the TV's Browser or via PLEX/KODI etc

If you are happy to stick with phone and cable, this is the one that you need: https://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/slimport-4k-hdm-adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semiconductor-SP6001-BlackBerry-SlimPort-Enabled/dp/B015DJ4QYI

Also, check your manual:

SmartShare
You can use the SmartShare feature easily in the Gallery and Music apps.
Enjoy Content Via a Variety of Devices
You can share your phone's content with a variety of devices.
■
Tap
to share the content in the Video and Music apps.
■
Tap
> SmartShare to share the contents.
Playing / Sending
●
Play: You can play the content via a TV, a Bluetooth speaker, etc.
●
Beam: You can send the content to the device of Bluetooth and SmartShare Beam supported.

SmartShare Beam: Transfers the content fast via Wi-Fi Direct.
Enjoy Content from Nearby Devices
You can enjoy the content from nearby devices (i.e., PC, NAS, Mobile) in the Gallery and Music apps.
Connecting Devices
Connect your device and other devices supported by DLNA in the same Wi-Fi network.
Searching Other Devices
1. Tap Nearby devices, then you can see the DLNA-supported devices.
2. Connect to the device to view the content.
Using Content from the Cloud
You can use content from the cloud (i.e., Dropbox) in the Gallery and Music apps.
Tools and Calendar
Using the Cloud
Note: The supported features may vary depending on the cloud. Retrieving data may take some time
depending on the cloud.
1. Select Cloud in the Gallery and Music apps.
2. Select the cloud what you want to use and log in.
3. You can use the content of the cloud after logging in.
4. Set the cloud settings to select the app to use the cloud.

10 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Start from the beginning. Why are you using your phone in the first place? Is it because you don't have a PC or that you want to view the material away from home?

There may be a better way; so let's find out a bit more. TV model? You might, dependent on the model, be able to play direct via the TV's Browser or via PLEX/KODI etc

If you are happy to stick with phone and cable, this is the one that you need: https://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/slimport-4k-hdm-adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semiconductor-SP6001-BlackBerry-SlimPort-Enabled/dp/B015DJ4QYI

Thank you for your input.

"Start from the beginning. Why are you using your phone in the first place? Is it because you don't have a PC or that you want to view the material away from home?"

I don't have a PC.

It is an LG tv.

I will have to research the model #.

I already have an HDMI cable so if an adapter will let me connect, that will be ideal.

I see that the adapter states that it is for the LG G4, but it also states that it is for "SlimPort - Enabled" phones.

So all LG G4's are therefore "SlimPort - Enabled"?

And this will enable me to view my phone on the TV, even though my phone does not have MHL/is not MHL enabled?

Sounds perfect for what I'd like.

I just purchased a number of things from Amazon that will be shipped to me, but I still have time to include this in the shipment.

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thank you for your input.

"Start from the beginning. Why are you using your phone in the first place? Is it because you don't have a PC or that you want to view the material away from home?"

I don't have a PC.

It is an LG tv.

I will have to research the model #.

I already have an HDMI cable so if an adapter will let me connect, that will be ideal.

I see that the adapter states that it is for the LG G4, but it also states that it is for "SlimPort - Enabled" phones.

So all LG G4's are therefore "SlimPort - Enabled"?

And this will enable me to view my phone on the TV, even though my phone does not have MHL/is not MHL enabled?

Sounds perfect for what I'd like.

I just purchased a number of things from Amazon that will be shipped to me, but I still have time to include this in the shipment.

Yes, research the model number...there will be a variety of ways to connect LG equipment together.

I'm not sure why no one asked you about the model of TV. You should be able to connect wirelessly fairly easily, whilst waiting for a cable. You can check with local stockists; they might have old stock of SlimPort cables. Example: https://web.facebook.com/Baancase/posts/132055983634591/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Out of date; but some mobile suppliers might still have stock.

Yes, your LG G4 mobile is SlimPort 4k enabled. SlimPort is a 'rival' to MHL; https://www.clove.co.uk/blogs/news/mhl-v-slimport-what-is-the-difference

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, JimmyJ said:

Is there any way I can get a film I've downloaded to my Android to appear on a flatpanel screen currently  used for viewing Cable channels and Internet TV/Netflix?

sometimes I just have to be amazed how people link appliances' technical abilities with their appearance or other uses