Long term visa options - after I come on Tourist Visa?

I am a 31 year old male from the UK....I am currently making £1000-£2000 passively a month. I don't think a STV will be granted for me or anyone from the UK currently.

I guess it would be ok to get an ESL job and then get a Non-B/Work Permit until everything calms down BUT...................What other ways are there to get a long term visa (6 months/1 year)? 

Can a tourist visa be changed into a Ed-Visa , and how much is an Ed-Visa/How long does it last?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Use an agent to obtain a non o (volunteering) then 12 month extension.

Or hope that the 60 day 'covid extensions' will continue. Think they will.

Didn't you open exact same thread recently?.

Advice won't have changed.

Yep, a volunteer visa is the easiest.  They start at around 40k baht for one year.  ED visas are available from many language schools but will cost the same or more after all the fees and tuition, so if you aren't really interested in studying Thai, just go with the volunteer visa.

The 500k baht for 6 months has been dropped for a STV. If you can show proof of your "passive" income such as a bank statement the application should be accepted.

From the London embassy website.

"4. UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient funds to cover your trip to Thailand"

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

On 1/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, Phillip9 said:

Yep, a volunteer visa is the easiest.  They start at around 40k baht for one year.  ED visas are available from many language schools but will cost the same or more after all the fees and tuition, so if you aren't really interested in studying Thai, just go with the volunteer visa.

Does getting an ED visa root you to the locality of the school? I am unironically genuinely interested in studying Thai as I have been for 2 years now and want to get conversant 

I enter Thailand in March on a SETV.

Hopefully the interprovincial travel will be normal again by then. I am a bit worried if I have to self-isolate in my condo in Chiang Mai, 1 month of 3 months would be already used up.

And for ED visa they usually need 2 months to get the documents. Now I see Immigration wants to convert the visa at least 21 days before it expires. Seems like an impossible task if there is another isolation arriving in Chiang Mai.

What do I need for a "60 day covid extension"? Is that only for people who really cannot leave? There are daily flight from Thailand to my home country. The embassy would surely not issue any letter.

The main reason I decided against the STV is because it seems I have to leave the country after 9 months and I am uncertain quarantine will be dropped so quickly.

4 minutes ago, cerox said:

Hopefully the interprovincial travel will be normal again by then. I am a bit worried if I have to self-isolate in my condo in Chiang Mai, 1 month of 3 months would be already used up.

It is hard to predict what the situation will be in March.

I think going to immigration is something you may be able to do during self isolation.

6 minutes ago, cerox said:

What do I need for a "60 day covid extension"? Is that only for people who really cannot leave? There are daily flight from Thailand to my home country. The embassy would surely not issue any letter.

Not sure if the 60 day covid 19 will be available when you would possibley need one. It also may not be available for new arrivals since it was intended to be for those already here when they started allowing them,

57 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Does getting an ED visa root you to the locality of the school? I am unironically genuinely interested in studying Thai as I have been for 2 years now and want to get conversant 

Most schools offer classes via skype or zoom.  Thats how I have been taking my classes.   But you would need to return to the location of your school to extend your visa every 3 months.

4 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

It's good to learn Thai. Value in a VISA

Language school worth it only if you really want to learn Thai, but choose good one then. They most likely will ask additional money for Immigration to switch to ED visa. 

Volunteer visa may be ok if want to stay here for 6 months or 1 year without leaving the country, it is kinda "dark" visa. 

You can try to find sponsored work permit, i saw some companies offer it, but it is quite expensive. 

33 minutes ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

Volunteer visa may be ok if want to stay here for 6 months or 1 year without leaving the country, it is kinda "dark" visa. 

It is not a "dark" visa. It's a non O based on volunteering obtained via agent. Optional 12 month extension. Very costly however 100% legit.

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

Iam interested too.  Iam on a TR just arriving 6 days ago, but i wish to extend by at least 2 months.  Any opinions on the best approach?

Obtain 60 day 'covid extension'.

No guarantee they will continue however can't imagine they will not. 

Which ASQ. Can you detail your experience.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain 60 day 'covid extension'.

No guarantee they will continue however can't imagine they will not. 

Which ASQ. Can you detail your experience.

But the 60 day covid extension might just only apply to old TR? 

Iam currently in centrepoint pratunam. 49k baht. Has balcony which can use with microwave for the mild warm food. Food is good with 3 choices per breakfast, lunch and dinner. Room is big enough that can fit two doubles. Pickup all smooth.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

100% legit.

If you do not know the the visa regulations please do not misguide people. Legit? 50% legit, at best.

Everyone who has it should ask himself. Do you really volunteer? Do you know the name of organization you volunteering for? Do you have work permit? Did you go in person to Immigration office to obtain the visa? 

Last months my friend was refused 90 day report in Chaeng Wattana with this "Legit" visa, they started ask too many questions and told him to go to immigration office where this visa were obtained (somewhere in Isaan). I asked my friend in immigration, he said better to pay 2000 THB later, when time will come to extend it, than do anything now. 

4 hours ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

If you do not know the the visa regulations please do not misguide people. Legit? 50% legit, at best.

Everyone who has it should ask himself. Do you really volunteer? Do you know the name of organization you volunteering for? Do you have work permit? Did you go in person to Immigration office to obtain the visa? 

Last months my friend was refused 90 day report in Chaeng Wattana with this "Legit" visa, they started ask too many questions and told him to go to immigration office where this visa were obtained (somewhere in Isaan). I asked my friend in immigration, he said better to pay 2000 THB later, when time will come to extend it, than do anything now. 

The visa most likely was obtained in KK. 

Your friend was naive to think he could do his 90 day report in Bangkok. Look in pp he will see where visa and extension was issued.

He should have done  a TM30 or used same agent for his 90 report.

BTW if it (90 day report) was last month he would not be attending CW, he would have gone to Muang Thong Thani.

20 hours ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

It is common practice to use the same visa agent to do you 90 day reporting as well as they will apply for it in the same province that your visa was obtained from.

All of the other concerns you have mentioned were not the reason why he could not do his 90 day reporting.

The advice of not doing the 90 day reporting is bad advice, he should simply contact the original visa agent, and have them file it for him so he does not run into any issues. Most agents make this a very easy process.

Or like @DrJack54 has said file a TM30 so that he can do his own 90 day reporting.

22 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Iam currently in centrepoint pratunam. 49k baht. Has balcony which can use with microwave for the mild warm food. Food is good with 3 choices per breakfast, lunch and dinner. Room is big enough that can fit two doubles. Pickup all smooth.

Glad to hear that you are surviving the quarantine process.

You should be able to apply for the 60 day extension based on section 5 as long as you apply on/before Jan 29th.

However we have heard of some officials pushing people to the 30 day extension.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:14 AM, Phillip9 said:

Yep, a volunteer visa is the easiest.  They start at around 40k baht for one year.  ED visas are available from many language schools but will cost the same or more after all the fees and tuition,

This one is(/was?) 20k/year (last school listed here); several others in Chiang Mai are <30k.

2 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Glad to hear that you are surviving the quarantine process.

You should be able to apply for the 60 day extension based on section 5 as long as you apply on/before Jan 29th.

However we have heard of some officials pushing people to the 30 day extension.

How can inform them want the covid 60 extension 

On 1/13/2021 at 5:43 AM, DrJack54 said:

The visa most likely was obtained in KK. 

Your friend was naive to think he could do his 90 day report in Bangkok. Look in pp he will see where visa and extension was issued.

He should have done  a TM30 or used same agent for his 90 report.

BTW if it (90 day report) was last month he would not be attending CW, he would have gone to Muang Thong Thani.

Someone I know tried to use the online 90 days reporting (Chonburi) +-80 days after he got his 1 year volunteer extension from KK and it was approved. He thought it wouldn't work but it did. It also was his first online report. He does have a tm.30 from Chonburi.

26 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

Someone I know tried to use the online 90 days reporting (Chonburi) +-80 days after he got his 1 year volunteer extension from KK and it was approved. He thought it wouldn't work but it did. It also was his first online report. He does have a tm.30 from Chonburi.

He obviously submitted a formal change of address at Chonburi (TM30).

That is exactly what @DrJack54 suggested the member should have done.

10 hours ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

But those concerns are still there ????

If you used a reliable agent to assist with the visa then they should support you in the event that any of your concerns become a problem.

That being said, we have yet to hear of anyone having anything more than "concerns".

* Not all agents are the same, and when deciding to use an agent you should always make sure they have a positive track record, and did not just pop up out of no where. If you obtained assistance through one of these outfits then those concerns are more than valid.

12 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

How can inform them want the covid 60 extension 

In BANGKOK, they are currently telling people you can get the 30 day 'normal' extension, and it will start the date your current entry stamp runs out OR you can apply for a 60 day 'covid' extension and it will start the day you apply.

So you should just confirm when you are applying.

55 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

This should be possible if you filed the TM30 at the immigration you are wishing to do your 90 day reports at ????

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

He obviously submitted a formal change of address at Chonburi (TM30).

That is exactly what @DrJack54 suggested the member should have done.

Not sure if he did it before or after the extension. Have to ask him. I know he changed addresses in Chonburi during that time but that was Chonburi to Chonburi.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:14 AM, pantsonfire said:

If you used facebook and follow the groups there you would see they issue covid 60 day extensions to most only some reports of 30 day... lol just depends on the office. If you worried about it pay an agent to do it, most of them are like 500 baht+1900 for the extension. They WILL get you the covid extension and u dont even have to put your clothes on.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, onebir said:
On 1/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, Phillip9 said:

Yep, a volunteer visa is the easiest.  They start at around 40k baht for one year.  ED visas are available from many language schools but will cost the same or more after all the fees and tuition,

This one is(/was?) 20k/year (last school listed here); several others in Chiang Mai are <30k.

Those fees you are seeing do not include the extra immigration fee to convert from visa exempt or TV to an ED visa without leaving the country during these covid times.  That extra fee will add about 10-15k to the total price, and not every school can arrange this.

Archived