Pattaya: Creepy pictures sum up dire state of tourism at once popular resort

webfact

33 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What utter tosh.

I have been here 23 years, the last 9 on a retirement extension. 

All visas, permits, whatever can be revoked. People can find themselves unable to remain due to ill-health, unemployment, divorce, currency fluctuations etc. This is the reality of the situation. Not a problem for me, I can live with it as can most here. 

The people who "live" here but were unable to return to their homes and families due to Covid may not think it tosh. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, ezzra said:

I know for a fact that the good times will be back again, we can't just dismiss Pattaya and Thailand as a whole just because some fakakate virus hitting it right now, remember these words, given time, Thailand and Pattaya will be back as strong as ever...

Possibly, but Thailand itself needs to find a way of stopping these coups, as soon as a peoples government gets elected, it will only be a matter of time before another army General with the support of other Generals will see how the present unelected "PM" and his Generals have became richer, and how easy it was to just storm in and take over.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, ezzra said:

I know for a fact that the good times will be back again, we can't just dismiss Pattaya and Thailand as a whole just because some fakakate virus hitting it right now, remember these words, given time, Thailand and Pattaya will be back as strong as ever...

It will come back a few missing in action casualty of war.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Right now I am still having "good times". 2020 was a pleasant year, now I am working at 2021. 

Me too, but luckily I've become to old for the 'good times' that involved nightclubs and hookers, and have moved onto the 'good times' that involve carpet slippers and a hot drink before bed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thought I also saw some posts with Chucky the doll at the Bus station and a few other locations as well on the news this morning when they saw the Doll sitting in the middle of the road.

All part of the upgraded Covid app

Have to catch all the dolls (like Pokemons)

If you scan all their QR codes you win a voucher for a free packet of "Final Pattaya Coffin Nails"

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Source of your facts?  I'm not trying to be a wiseguy--I'm curious as to what statistics you are using that indicate Pattaya's tourist numbers were dropping even before covid.   I live in Pattaya year-round and both 2019 and 2018 seemed very busy to me with lots of tourists.

I know you can do a quick Google and get some articles on declining tourism but when you call them up to read you find it's some clueless hotel official saying occupancy is down (hello, Airbnb!).  Or, it's an article saying numbers are down from European travelers--with no mention of the huge increase in Asian tourists. 

We know tourist arrivals to Thailand were up in 2019 from 2018 numbers.  They have increased every year for the past 10 years except for 2014, the year of the coup.  In 2010, the number was 15.94 million.  In 2019, the number was 39.8 million.  Statistics for just Pattaya alone seem to be harder to find than statistics for Thailand.  But, I think it would stand to reason that if Thailand's numbers were rising, Pattaya's were likely rising, too. 

I did find one statistic.  Mastercard does a yearly ranking of popular tourist destinations around the World and it had Pattaya with 9.4 million tourists in 2018 and 9.44 million in 2019.  Not much of an increase but not a drop, either.  It also had Pattaya as #18 on its top tourist destinations around the World.  I think its figures are fairly conservative; the mayor stated recently that Pattaya had 15 million visitors in 2019, I assume counting both domestic and foreign.  

As for Chinese tourists declining, I did not find any evidence of that, either.  Statista has the numbers for Thailand as follows:  2017, 9.81 million.  2018, 10.54 million.  2019, 12 million.  Again, no breakdown on how many of them visited Pattaya but if the total numbers were increasing each year I think it's likely that Pattaya's numbers would not be declining. 

There's a certain member who won't believe these numbers coz he knows all about the pending ( even before CV-19 ) downfall of Pattaya, i'm sure he'll be along soon....lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Regyai said:

All part of the upgraded Covid app

Have to catch all the dolls (like Pokemons)

If you scan all their QR codes you win a voucher for a free packet of "Final Pattaya Coffin Nails"

do I get the hammer as well, or just use the cell phone with the Morchana app on it to beat the nails in..