Pattaya: Creepy pictures sum up dire state of tourism at once popular resort

webfact

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Me too, but luckily I've become to old for the 'good times' that involved nightclubs and hookers, and have moved onto the 'good times' that involve carpet slippers and a hot drink before bed.

Do you mean a "hot toddy" or can you still manage a hot totty ????????????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Covid is THE reality at the moment and it's here and everywhere making people sick, killing people,threatening jobs, killing businesses, loved ones,relationships and destroying world economy.

Some of the things you mention here are caused by Covid and some are caused by the restrictions imposed: 

Making people sick - Covid and Restrictions (mental health issues, people not getting other illnesses diagnosed / treated)

Killing people - Covid and Restrictions (as above)

Threatening jobs - Restrictions

Killing businesses - Restrictions

Killing loved ones/relationships - Covid and Restrictions

Destroying world economy - Restrictions

I'm not saying restrictions aren't necessary, just adding some perspective. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

And also by the same groups that invest in these always empty places.  Maybe instead they can rebuild for the better. Just noticed this place at Dolphin NE corner : Wok&Roc. 

IMG_20210112_095534.jpg

Thanks. made my day. If its the same Wok & Rok formerly of Soi Buakhao and LK Metro, it is simply the best Chinese takeaway in Thailand. Chinese, British style. Once the Brits hear about this they'll be back in droves.

8 hours ago, Sean60 said:

This is a sad picture. Within you can see closed ships and bars. Behind that are soon to be bankrupt people. These peoples life is going to be destroyed.

You will same similar pictures in Phuket and Koh Samui. It is not only Pattaya.

And has the government issued any kind of relief package to small size businesses? NOTHING,   ZERO

Has the government started with Vaccination program? NO  Meanwhile England, Germany and Israel have vaccinated loads of their citizens.

Amazing Thailand!!

Thats not fair.  They are busy trying to get to the moon.????

7 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Sadly, many of those people are not coming back. They are dead. Covid has hit the Walking street  people the hardest - Over age 65, obese, smoker, pre-existing diseases of heart, kidney diabetes, lung.

Pattaya will become the convention capital of SE Asia once the redevelopment and clean up is finished.

Should I care because I do not. Let's be honest- anyone who was collecting  barfine from a  lady was in practice a pimp.  Some of the beer bars were holes- nothing more than filthy places with uncomfortable seats and dirty tables. Having a pillow soiled with years of sweat didn't make it more comfortable to sit.

Many of the bars and clubs had monkey business going on and many customer had a bad outcome. Some of the bars were run by criminal types from Australia, Denmark, UK, Sweden. And the employees? Did not trust any I saw.  I have been to Pattaya for events. When you stay at Hilton or Meridien,  everything is safe, clean proper, but it is nothing special.

Sometimes the outcome is merited. 

I dont agree, I thought those pillows with years of sweat were very comfortable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

One could start wondering what's really going on here worldwide..... Do our so-called "leaders" really know what they're doing ? Have real doubts about that.

They know exactly Whats going on and what to do, thats why they are trying to get to the moon. ????

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And the truly astonishing aspect of this, that few seem to be discussing, is that this could have been at least partly avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakorn (just a relatively small section of the province, actually) the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? It is one of the largest seafood distribution centers in Thailand, and it would have meant the loss of a small fortune, for some. So, it came down to sacrificing a large fortune, and the nations economy, for a relatively small out of money, coming from those seafood sales. Nothing else makes sense. No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. Samut Sakorn should have been completely locked down, within 24 hours, instead of a partial and anemic lockdown days later. As always with this administration, too little, too late.

I would love to do a poll, and ask how many of us and how many Thais, thought the army would use this latest outbreak to their advantage? To flex their feeble muscles, even more? To put down the return of the promised protests? To contain the masses?

How about if we turn this around on them. I don't know about you, but I am quite angry right now. They allowed this to happen, after all. This could have been so easily prevented. So, what the ex-pat community, and the Thai people should be asking is:

1. How can you demonstrate to us, that you are up for the task of leadership?
2. What are you doing to prove that you can and will protect us?
3. Instead of contact tracing us, how about we trace you, and make sure you are doing your job? How about you report to us daily, and let us know how you are handling and containing this epidemic that happened on your watch? Stop talking, and start working, and doing your jobs.
4. Why did you not prevent this? How did you allow these corrupt officials to let infected people in? Why is nobody in a position of power being arrested? Why aren't heads rolling?
5. Why are you not making the vaccines more of a priority? Why isn't the army sacrificing some of its huge budget for the people? 
6. What are you planning on offering the people in the way of assistance, so they can survive this disaster you helped create?
7. Can you demonstrate to us why you think Anutin, who has no background whatsoever in the filed of health, is up for the task of tackling this emergency?
8. And why are you shutting down so many businesses, yet you allowed ground zero to remain open to people coming and going since this latest outbreak happened, only closing the province down yesterday? Why such bad decisions, and such extreme incompetence? How do you justify that? How do you explain that? Thousands of cases emanated from Samut province. You knew that would happen. 
9. How about a compulsory level of competence and experience, for all future administration appointments to key positions?
10. Why have you been so hard on foreigners, making it so incredibly difficult to fly in, yet so lax on the borders?
11. Why should we allow you to remain in power? What have you done lately to deserve that power? 

And Why are you trying to fly to the moon when Mars seems much more interesting.????

1 hour ago, SW Happy said:

And Why are you trying to fly to the moon when Mars seems much more interesting.????

Because the submarines that they are adapting to go to the moon, don't have the range to get to Mars.  I would have thought that was obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tomauasia said:

I will say this now. I know the Thai army or gov. Which ever you wish. They did do there best in some respects. But They wanted to kill off Pattaya. That is the truth. I thought thus week 1. It was only when a Thai official l know through Australian boxing told me the truth. Its so very very sad. For me due to the fact l lived there for 5 years. If you ask Bob Arum. Who are the high rollers..He will tell you only the Chinese. But everything comes at a cost later. This gov never made any attempts to keep the entertainment districts alive. Because they were waiting on the Chinese.

They have destroyed many lives and believe there still popular.

I`ve heard the same doom and gloom predictions ever  since the time Thaksin first came to power.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

I`ve heard the same doom and gloom predictions ever  since the time Thaksin first came to power.

Not relevant and it's fact not fiction. Secondly Thaksin was in touch with the way Thailand was. His red big big difference. Not even relevant. Prayut hated all those people. That's fact not fiction. Hence no assistance during covid and people hungry in Pattaya. Published across media TV. Besides that l know as l stated

Having work on the Street for 10 years If those that know it look back .The Russian were taking it over and I feel that if the Corvid 19 had not stopped everything There would have been war between Thai and Russian Mafia over territory rights. However Pattaya will for certain never be the same Only thing that may stay again is the Mobile at the Top of the Street. Very sad but mark my word true.

I feel that those who don't understand Thailand should step back, look and think. Because the only people who suffer ARE THE POOR.

Here the made what money they could to support their family 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

Not relevant and it's fact not fiction. Secondly Thaksin was in touch with the way Thailand was. His red big big difference. Not even relevant. Prayut hated all those people. That's fact not fiction. Hence no assistance during covid and people hungry in Pattaya. Published across media TV. Besides that l know as l stated

Thaksin presided over the first early closings and regulations off nightlife all those years ago,but it still managed to survive despite all this.

(I wasn`t speaking about social policies here,but longtime effect on tourism ???? )

• Thanks 1

How many prefer it as it is ? Personally I much prefer Pattaya as it is now its more like it was 25 years ago when you could park anywhere and not have the bother of the masses , I feel much more relaxed now.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, Oldie said:

The quiet Pattaya is a unique tourist attraction. When this special time is over it can take endless years until you can experience it like this again. 

????First went to walking street early 80's......WOW...just WOW.......was the livelihood of Chonburi and the bread and butter of many poor families.

Nah, it's not dead, all it would take is some courage from the boys with the shiny buttons to man up, and open up........  Every man for himself..........  Lots of us lived with a lot worse odds in the past.........   Stop hiding under the stairs and grow a pair......  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pop3 said:

How many prefer it as it is ? Personally I much prefer Pattaya as it is now its more like it was 25 years ago when you could park anywhere and not have the bother of the masses , I feel much more relaxed now.

I don't, everything is shut!

12 hours ago, Yahooka said:

Thaksin presided over the first early closings and regulations off nightlife all those years ago,but it still managed to survive despite all this.

(I wasn`t speaking about social policies here,but longtime effect on tourism ???? )

It's all up to vaccine effectiveness. But they will redevelop walking street. They are doing road works now. New look Pattaya with monorail. Bar stool farang will be relocated. They will boot the bar owners. Kings land no chanout. Adios amigo 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomauasia said:

There is some truth to this. Remember, Thaksin brought universal health care, and small loans to farmers. He instituted a number of programs to reduce poverty, and increase infrastructure. What he did was radical, and unprecedented. He actually helped alot of farmers. No previous administration has done as much to assist the poor farmers, and certainly none since.

The army does nothing, when it comes to the common Thai. Other than some work on infrastructure, what have they done for the average Thai, much less ex-pat lately? A big zero. Protect the rich and the corrupt, and always hire from the bottom of the barrel, based entirely on cronyism, insuring inefficient and incompetency. Just look at Pipat and Anutin. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is some truth to this. Remember, Thaksin brought universal health care, and small loans to farmers. What he did was radical, and unprecedented. He actually helped alot of farmers. No previous administration has done as much to assist the poor farmers, and certainly none since. The army does nothing, when it comes to the common Thai. Other than some work on infrastructure, what have they done for the average Thai, much less ex-pat lately? A big zero. Protect the rich and the corrupt. That is all they do. 

Yes he did, while cynically ripping off his country, by avoiding tax, promoting his family and acolytes to positions they should never have been given, contract corruption at every turn and disrespecting Thai culture and norms.  He seduced the rural old, the uneducated and vulnerable to stay in power.   He was a crook as was his sister. Let's not look back to his time through rose tinted glasses. You may argue that things haven't changed much, and you may be right, but he was no better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1