Anutin backtracks: All Thais and foreigners are eligible for Covid treatment

webfact

2 hours ago, Whale said:

We should all have medical insurance

Agree with you 110%, we should not expect the Thai's to pay for our treatment/s in their country as we wouldn't expect our tax payers to pay for them being treated in our county's.

I can understand some are too old to get insurance because insurers won't insure them, or if they do, it's not feasible for them to get insured vs their income stream, pension or other.

The cost of the vaccine shouldn't send those without insurance broke, but I would hate to see what the cost would be if they ended up in a hospital, albeit a private hospital requiring treatment for Covid or other, but then again, there is GoFund me isn't there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Whale said:

Actually he has a point. He is is an ass I am not disputing that. We should all have medical insurance but he was not talking about us he was specifically referring to "workers" (from surrounding countries) and they should be the financial responsibility of their employers or themselves not the state. 

Obviously they are not being turned away from testing and treatment, but who should foot the bill?

Just the fact that these people are/were being turned away is frightening.....where do they go to...the mall?

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Let's say I just bought a car in Thailand that was made in Thailand for 2 million baht including VAT.  How does the amount of tax I just paid compare with the tax paid by a Thai farmer in a rural community? 

I think he was talking about migrant workers earning 100bht/day.

Difficult to see how they could afford a $100,000 health insurance policy.

and who does not want to get a vaccine, because he is a conscientious objector, I have because he is allergic, I because he does not want to do it, who does not want to get a vaccine that has no certainty of health and that has no long-term safety, for contraindications I have problems in the long term for people's health, and who takes responsibility for collateral damage over time for the vaccine ???

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Let's say I just bought a car in Thailand that was made in Thailand for 2 million baht including VAT.  How does the amount of tax I just paid compare with the tax paid by a Thai farmer in a rural community? 

No idea, but does not entitle you to free healthcare. Just buying a car in a country and paying tax does not make you automatically insured. It does not do that anywhere in the whole world.

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

OK, but his message doesn't mention/clarify anything about who must pay and who doesn't have to pay. 

He does mention that it's all paid for by Thai taxpayers, perhaps that's the clue as to who doesn't have to pay?

The original says foreign and Thai are free. 

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

That is a priceless comment, unhinged gawd he certainly is seriously unhinged.

There are several others just like him in government here, just look at Prawit he certainly is unhinged.

Although I believe in freedom of translation, this takes the biscuit. 

Anutin is hounded by the English media, mistranslated, which isn't fair. 

Also, he never said "dirty foreigner" which many take as gospel. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I don’t think the Thai taxpayer should be funding free hospital treatment for people who ignore the rules for enforcing limiting covid.

In Australia there is no free ride for foreigners in hospitals and if thais break the covid rules they can be fined up to $20,000. 

Any foreigner who breaks the rules in Thailand, endangering Thai lives and resulting in more economic hardship for businesses in Thailand should be fined and immediately deported.

Natai Beach notes that after reading the announcement made by Anutin the Thaivisa translation and narrative presented in that translation is not what I would describe as an accurate account of what he said. 

The word “apparently” on the second line. Apparently?? Really? 

Natai Beach also notes that many readers are still upset with Anutin about his “dirty” farang comments he used to describe farangs who refused to wear a mask during a pandemic. The mention of his name gets many into a huff. This thread will be predictably similar.

Natai Beach also notes that much worse things are said about the general Thai population on a daily basis on this forum, but that doesn’t seem to outrage those who were outraged by Anutin efforts and stern words to limit covid deaths in Thailand. Something that he has had much success with and received much praise from around the world for accomplishing. 

Bermondburi notes that anyone can speak in the 3rd person, but just because he says it's so, doesn't necessarily make it so. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Whale said:

Actually he has a point. He is is an ass I am not disputing that. We should all have medical insurance but he was not talking about us he was specifically referring to "workers" (from surrounding countries) and they should be the financial responsibility of their employers or themselves not the state. 

Obviously they are not being turned away from testing and treatment, but who should foot the bill?

Migrant workers have a different social security than other foreigners. 

Foreigners that are not working, paying tax, should pay their own bill, of course, unless Thais get free treatment in the foreigner's country, as is the case in Scotland. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

"Section 47 of the Constitution, which states that every individual is eligible to protection and treatment for dangerous diseases by the state, free of charge''.

This translation is wrong, it doesn't say "treatment". If you don't have any symptoms and are only getting locked away to protect other people, this paragraph might be applicable though.

But then there is section 5 of the constitution which can be interpreted as that the whole constitution only applies to Thai people. You would definitely need a judge who likes foreigners to be successful pushing this through.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This translation is wrong, it doesn't say "treatment".

Then there is section 5 of the constitution which can be interpreted as that the whole constitution only applies to Thai people.

Constitutions around the globe are not written to protect foreigners. 

23 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

The farmer is a citizen, you are not, so pay up. If you can afford that kind of car, you can afford a bloody vaccine. 

People buy cars made in Thailand to avoid paying import tax. 

• Like 1