Land office transfer what to expect.

So today off to land office for settlement of purchase of townhouse. Bank cheque and some cash in hand. Transfer into Thai partners name. She has her house book and her ID card. Apparently bank is not involved.

Anything re heads up on what to expect or what else is required would be very much appreciated.

if it is all going in partners name, all you need to do is go grab a coffee
as you will not be needed

if you are married
you can now purchase together as a married couple
(its not like it used to be)
i had this purchasing land a few months ago

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

if it is all going in partners name, all you need to do is go grab a coffee
as you will not be needed

if you are married

Thanks.

Not married. Townhouse in her name only.

I had a suspicion that I might need to show transfer from my Oz bank into my Thai bank or perhaps sign something to say I have no rights to the property or declare that the money was a gift etc. Seems not to be the case.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

I had a suspicion that I might need to show transfer from my Oz bank into my Thai bank or perhaps sign something to say I have no rights to the property or declare that the money was a gift etc. Seems not to be the case.

depends on value and land office used
as with everything here
it varies office to office

when we bought land (10 rai) few months back, we paid in cash (request of seller)
nothing was requested in regards to source of funds etc.

few years back
we purchased another plot of land
where my wife was asked for source of funds, as she was married, but i was not present
so we put in her mums name
as the MIL was not married on paper (only village ceremony)
the MIL did not have to show source of funds
if she was legally married (to her thai hubby)
then source of funds would have been required whether Thai or ferang hubby

• Thanks 1

So update on my visit to land office yesterday.

As I have been told, property transfer in Thailand is a walk in the park, however it almost went pear shaped. 

The cashier cheque was made from my Thai bank and the land clerk wanted me to sign a waiver to any rights over the property (we are not married). The snag was that he wanted my passport. By shear luck I remembered that I had a photo on my phone of identity page.

Felt pretty foolish that I did not bring along my passport. 

We were in the land office (Srinakharin) for 90minutes. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, patman30 said:

depends on value and land office used
as with everything here
it varies office to office

when we bought land (10 rai) few months back, we paid in cash (request of seller)
nothing was requested in regards to source of funds etc.

few years back
we purchased another plot of land
where my wife was asked for source of funds, as she was married, but i was not present
so we put in her mums name
as the MIL was not married on paper (only village ceremony)
the MIL did not have to show source of funds
if she was legally married (to her thai hubby)
then source of funds would have been required whether Thai or ferang hubby

For Thai married people the land office doesn't ask for source of funds, but for the spouse's consent for buying (and later selling) the property) 

On 1/11/2021 at 6:02 AM, patman30 said:

if you are married

Can you explain.

My wife was given a waiver for me to sign in August. I am not in the country so the property was transferred to another family member. I will sign the waiver and transfer to my wife when i get back.

Farangs need a Tor Tor 3 from their bank showing FTT's foreign transfers inward and it has to be an accurate amount I believe. Your selling agent will advise you.  However if the transfer is to a Thai I not certain whether source of funds is needed.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, DrJack54 said:

So today off to land office for settlement of purchase of townhouse. Bank cheque and some cash in hand. Transfer into Thai partners name. She has her house book and her ID card. Apparently bank is not involved.

Anything re heads up on what to expect or what else is required would be very much appreciated.

To pay land tax cant remember now 2% or 5% think 2%

On 1/11/2021 at 4:11 AM, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

In some cases a land office has asked the foreigner, and I think it's mainly when the couple were married, to sign that he had no claim of funds or rights (or something like that) in the property. It vary from office to office, what they wish; probably nothing from you, as you are not married to the new property owner...????

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

To pay land tax cant remember now 2% or 5% think 2%

They way this deal worked is the sale was from owner direct. I was more than happy with the price so was not going to haggle.

The sweetener was that the transfer costs were covered by him 100% so no idea of the land tax cost.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

In some cases a land office has asked the foreigner, and I think it's mainly when the couple were married, to sign that he had no claim of funds or rights (or something like that) in the property. It vary from office to office, what they wish; probably nothing from you, as you are not married to the new property owner...????

Yes probably depends on office (same as immigration) however the land office was adamant I sign the waiver and show passport.

Screenshot worked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Farangs need a Tor Tor 3 from their bank showing FTT's foreign transfers inward and it has to be an accurate amount I believe. Your selling agent will advise you.  However if the transfer is to a Thai I not certain whether source of funds is needed.

The source of funds was not questioned. Guess different story if it was condo going into my name. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

For Thai married people the land office doesn't ask for source of funds, but for the spouse's consent for buying (and later selling) the property) 

yes, if you read my point
they do ask for source of funds etc. if a married individual trying to purchase
ie. a married person buying in their own name without their partner

23 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Can you explain.

My wife was given a waiver for me to sign in August. I am not in the country so the property was transferred to another family member. I will sign the waiver and transfer to my wife when i get back.

you are not in the country, so you cannot purchase WITH your wife
so as above
she is a married individual making the purchase, as you are not present
so they want source of funds and a waiver signed
as she is spending your money and having it put in her name only

may differ office to office
but we recently purchased land as a married couple
as i was here with my wife
no source of funds was needed (paid cash for 10 rai)
no waiver signed