RT-PCR Clarification to enter Thailand

Among all of the documentation i'm finding the PCR test the most difficult due to the time restriction, and no one in my country (italy) issues them within 24hr.

One thing is not clear, is the date that count, or they want the exact hour of the test? because all the lab here told me that they do not write the hour, they just wirte on what date they take the sample to analyze, and then the date that they check the results.

So for example, my flight is on 30 January at 4pm. If i take the test on 27 January at 10pm, the paper will only say 27 Jan, not the time. Which is 3 days before.

I already asked embassy etc but they can't give me an exact answer, maybe someone had experience with this before.

The Covid-19 RT PCR test requirement for ALL flights to Thailand is as follows: 

A Negative Covid-19 RT PCR test taken* within 72 hrs of flight departure. 

A Fit to Fly letter / Certificate issued within 72 of flight departure (this needs to be a separate document from the Covid-19 test certificate and state you are symptom free)

These two documents must be provided at the Airline check-in (of your flight to Thailand). 

IF you are in Transit along the way, you will need to ensure your test time / date **remains within the 72 hr period of your transit flight (or you may be refused boarding).

* There have been debates on this forum that the test result time / date which needs to be within the 72 hrs not just the actual time / date the test was administered. The Covid-19 RT PCR certificate I was issued with listed both Test time / date and the date of the result. The best advice is to play it safe and ensure the actual test time / date is within the 72 hr window.

** There have also been debates on this forum regarding the transit allowance for tests which fall outside of the 72 hour window when boarding onward flights after transiting (i.e. Dubai / Doha etc). Again, the best advice is not to risk it and ensure the test time / date falls within the 72 hrs window at the time of flight departure from your transit location. 

Further point: Some ASQ hotels (not all) insist that your Covid-19 RT PCR test result is within the 72 hr window at arrival at the ASQ hotel. IF not the ASQ hotel may insist that you take a further Covid-19 RT PCR test on day 0 (zero) arrival at ASQ (this happened to me and I had to pay 5950 baht for an extra Covid-19 RT PCR test).

1 hour ago, Shey420 said:

Wait a second,  I've been misreading this. I thought it was 72 hours prior to arrival in thailand.. So if I get test on 12 that test should be good for the flight on 15 as long as 72 hours hasn't elapsed?

There are three facets to this: 

< 72 hrs for Check-in of your flight to Thailand

< 72 hrs for Checks for onward travel to Thailand in transit

< 72 hrs for arrival at ASQ if not a further Covid-19 RT PCR test may need to be taken (this is not a major issue other than having to pay the ±6000 baht for an additional test). 

6 hours ago, teriyaki said:

Among all of the documentation i'm finding the PCR test the most difficult due to the time restriction, and no one in my country (italy) issues them within 24hr.

Think that's a bit of a stretch, flew from Italy to UK on Saturday, got a PCR test at 15.00 Thursday and result at 09.30 Friday. There must be places near you.

18 minutes ago, BLACKJACK2 said:
6 hours ago, teriyaki said:

Think that's a bit of a stretch, flew from Italy to UK on Saturday, got a PCR test at 15.00 Thursday and result at 09.30 Friday. There must be places near you.

To add to this... You can receive the result within 48 hours allowing a further 24 hrs leeway.

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To add to this... You can receive the result within 48 hours allowing a further 24 hrs leeway.

The flight is at 4pm, and all the places i found only issues test in the morning, that was also causing some issues.

Anyway, i finally found one that can ensure me no later then 36hr result, so i should be settled, test 2 days before departure, and have the result by the evening before the flight.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some ASQ hotels (not all) insist that your Covid-19 RT PCR test result is within the 72 hr window at arrival at the ASQ hotel. IF not the ASQ hotel may insist that you take a further Covid-19 RT PCR test on day 0 (zero) arrival at ASQ (this happened to me and I had to pay 5950 baht for an extra Covid-19 RT PCR test).

From what i could read in the hotel policy and recent asq reviews, this is now a standard practice, you get tested on day 0 before entering the room, included in hotel price.

Also, i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that stated the test has to be 72hrs before your first flight in case of multiple boardings; of course, specific transit country might have a regulation of their own on the subject.

5 minutes ago, teriyaki said:

The flight is at 4pm, and all the places i found only issues test in the morning, that was also causing some issues.

My certificate only had the date not the time. 

i.e. Tested on 16th (morning), Certificate issued on 18th (morning), flight on 19th (evening).

Because I’d taken the Covid-19 test in the morning and was flying 3 days later in the evening the time difference was actually 82 hrs (but the time was not listed on my certificate).

Check with the testing facility whether the date and time or just the date is on the Certificate.

Anyway, i finally found one that can ensure me no later then 36hr result, so i should be settled, test 2 days before departure, and have the result by the evening before the flight.

From what i could read in the hotel policy and recent asq reviews, this is now a standard practice, you get tested on day 0 before entering the room, included in hotel price.

I’m in the process of booking a second ASQ (for 8 weeks from now).

The Standard policy is 2x Covid-19 tests with an ASQ booking. The tests are carried out on day 5/6 and 11/12. 

IF you arrive at an ASQ >72 hrs (3 days) after your Covid-19 test you ‘may’ be forced to take a Covid-19 RT PCR test upon arrival at the ASQ hotel (on day 0) - you will have to pay extra for this unless it clearly states in your quarantine booking that this is included (i.e. a total of 3x Covid-19 RT PCR tests - I have not seen such a statement anywhere).

Also, i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that stated the test has to be 72hrs before your first flight in case of multiple boardings; of course, specific transit country might have a regulation of their own on the subject.

Information on this varies from between sources. Is it worth the risk of being rejected and turned around halfway thought your journey ???  

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Standard policy is 2x Covid-19 tests with an ASQ booking. The tests are carried out on day 5/6 and 11/12. 

I thought the new policy is 3 tests with the second one on the 10th. The authorities want to see if it's safe to cut the quarantine to 10 days, as has been proposed.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nor correct now. From the COE application website. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

"Applicant shows Certificate of Entry (COE), Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is free from COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours before travelling,"

And the IATA website (click Thailand on the map)

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.8d5f36d6c65fbdd54d9427c3cc6ac716.png

I'm in ASQ now. My covid certificate had the date and time issued on it.I arrived at ASQ 75 hours after the certificate was issued and no on arrival test was done.

I have my 1st ASQ covid test today on day 5, my 2nd test is due day 12.

I transited Dubai and all passenger travel documents were checked with PCR documents date/time checked at the Dubai departure gate. 2 guys were taken away for PCR tests and missed the flight.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nor correct now. From the COE application website. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

"Applicant shows Certificate of Entry (COE), Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is free from COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours before travelling,"

And the IATA website (click Thailand on the map)

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.8d5f36d6c65fbdd54d9427c3cc6ac716.png

I wouldn’t trust that all those checking documents and people onto flights are aware of updated regulations such as the above. 

There are stories of this still being an issue for those who’s Covid-19 test falls outside the 72 hrs window when attempting to board an onward flight in transit. 

I for one would not be taking this risk after paying for a flight and quarantine hotel. 

Covid-19 RT PCR test results can be obtained relatively quickly within 24hrs from ‘most’ test facilities now. 

41 minutes ago, 10years said:

I thought the new policy is 3 tests with the second one on the 10th. The authorities want to see if it's safe to cut the quarantine to 10 days, as has been proposed.

I think the authorities flirted with idea a 10 day quarantine before the latest outbreak hit Thailand.

The news and discussion of the possible 10 quarantine and ‘altering of the Covid-19 RT PCR test schedule’ has gone very quiet. I think any politician proposing to reduce the quarantine period given current events would be committing political suicide.

Hotels are all stating 2 Covid-19 RT PCR tests (day 5/6 and day 11/12) and with a negative result facilities can be used from day 7 (for 45mins to 1hr depending on the hotel). 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t trust that all those checking documents and people onto flights are aware of updated regulations such as the above. 

People have made the trip without a problem recently and had a certificate with a test done longer than 72 hours before but the certificate was issued within 72 hours.

Airlines have access to the IATA info and can verify what the requirements are.

I think they changed to the certificate issue date due to people not being able to get a test done within 72 hours and a certificate for it.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it worth the risk of being rejected and turned around halfway thought your journey ???  

Definitely not, which is why i spent an entire day calling test labs to have mine done as fast as possible. Doing it 2 days before travel should keep me safe, at the time of the 2nd board i will still be within the 72hr window.

I might be a bit out of the 72hrs at my arrival in ASQ, but if the maximum penalty is another test, then i'll do it, there wasn't really any other way.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hotels are all stating 2 Covid-19 RT PCR tests (day 5/6 and day 11/12) and with a negative result facilities can be used from day 7 (for 45mins to 1hr depending on the hotel). 

Yeah i actually checked the emails they sent me and it states 2 tests.

Not sure where i read about the test on day 0, maybe it was from one review somewhere on the forum.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Covid-19 RT PCR test requirement for ALL flights to Thailand is as follows: 

A Fit to Fly letter / Certificate issued within 72 of flight departure (this needs to be a separate document from the Covid-19 test certificate and state you are symptom free)

These two documents must be provided at the Airline check-in (of your flight to Thailand). 

IF you are in Transit along the way, you will need to ensure your test time / date **remains within the 72 hr period of your transit flight (or you may be refused boarding).

* There have been debates on this forum that the test result time / date which needs to be within the 72 hrs not just the actual time / date the test was administered. The Covid-19 RT PCR certificate I was issued with listed both Test time / date and the date of the result. The best advice is to play it safe and ensure the actual test time / date is within the 72 hr window.

** There have also been debates on this forum regarding the transit allowance for tests which fall outside of the 72 hour window when boarding onward flights after transiting (i.e. Dubai / Doha etc). Again, the best advice is not to risk it and ensure the test time / date falls within the 72 hrs window at the time of flight departure from your transit location. 

Further point: Some ASQ hotels (not all) insist that your Covid-19 RT PCR test result is within the 72 hr window at arrival at the ASQ hotel. IF not the ASQ hotel may insist that you take a further Covid-19 RT PCR test on day 0 (zero) arrival at ASQ (this happened to me and I had to pay 5950 baht for an extra Covid-19 RT PCR test).

The HOTEL robbed you post your experience on the FB ASQ GROUP

7 hours ago, tomauasia said:

The HOTEL robbed you post your experience on the FB ASQ GROUP

This was way back in July. My arrival in Thailand was 4 days after my ‘pre-flight' Covid-19 RT PCR test.

I had also filled out a form with my ASQ booking which highlighted that I agreed to have a Covid-19 RT PCR test within 72 hrs of arrival at the ASQ hotel.

I flagged the issue at the time and other ASQ arrivals had also had to take a day zero Covid-19 test, while many others didn’t (depending on either the time window or flexibility of the ASQ hotel).

7 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Was in ASQ in Bangkok last week at the Courtyard Marriott. Three test were included the package, 1st on  day of arrival, 2nd on day 5, and last one on day12th. 

I am holding an ASQ booking (for March at the Citrus Suites) - 2 Covid-19 tests are included.

Booking through Agoda - full refund up to 1 day before arrival. 

It would seem the day zero (3x Covid-19) test is solely dependant on the ASQ, and unnecessary if you are travelling in and arriving at your ASQ within with 72 hrs of the the preflight Covid-19 test - Thus the Hotel has already added on the charge of the day zero Covid-19 test without it being necessary. 

On 1/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, teriyaki said:

One thing is not clear, is the date that count, or they want the exact hour of the test? because all the lab here told me that they do not write the hour, they just wirte on what date they take the sample to analyze, and then the date that they check the results.

So for example, my flight is on 30 January at 4pm. If i take the test on 27 January at 10pm, the paper will only say 27 Jan, not the time. Which is 3 days before.

I already asked embassy etc but they can't give me an exact answer, maybe someone had experience with this before.

On your Covid Test certificate there is a TEST date and an ISSUE or RESULT date. No more than 72 hours prior to departure  from your RESULT date. My test was Dec 15, received results Dec. 17, flew late evening Dec. 18,  I made it to my ASQ Hotel with no issues or questions asked regarding my pre flight CV19 test along the way. 

Speaking of certificates, does anybody have experience with online services for Fit To Fly?

Apparently my doctor here has no idea what a FTF is, and is making a lot of trouble to get it, insist on having a covid test before the FTF and some other nonsense.

I found a clinic that can issue a FTF after video consulting, and sending certificate via email. Just wanted to know if someone has done it before, they said videoconsulting is quite standard for fit to fly

I also have had problems getting answers from both the Thai embassy and the airline. Mine is a 9 hour transit time till the second leg of the journey.

Both were blaming each other for who should be asked regarding a simple question. In the end (after a number of days), the embassy replied 

"Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry. We have written to confirm the said rules. We do not understand why there will be an issue with transit as the airline have carried hundreds of people in the same situation over the pass year with no issue."

&

"Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry. You are required to show the negative covid test to the airline at the first port of departure. The date on the letter should not be stated more than 72 hours before travelling." 

So, as UJoe said, it is counted only from the first part of the flight which requires transit time. 

On 1/12/2021 at 1:11 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Some ASQ hotels (not all) insist that your Covid-19 RT PCR test result is within the 72 hr window at arrival at the ASQ hotel. IF not the ASQ hotel may insist that you take a further Covid-19 RT PCR test on day 0 (zero) arrival at ASQ (this happened to me and I had to pay 5950 baht for an extra Covid-19 RT PCR test).

Which hotel was this?

Archived