Elephant found dead in Prachuap Khiri Khan had been shot 43 times

webfact

Elephant found dead in Prachuap Khiri Khan had been shot 43 times

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

An autopsy on a dead wild elephant in the Kuiburi national park has revealed that it was shot 43 times. 

Forty pellets from a shotgun , two from a .22 and one other projectile were discovered. 

The elephant had been treated for many medical conditions after being found in a distressed state 30 days ago. 

It was suffering from flatulence and was given saline solution, pain medication and anti-inflammatories. 

But it finally suffered a heart attack. A scan revealed metal in 25 places in the pachyderm's body. 

It had been shot in the eyes causing some blindness, trunk, ribs and some of the pellets were embedded in a leg causing pus. 

Director of the environment protection area 3 (Phetchaburi) said that the potshots taken at the elephant had made it become fierce and wary of people.

It had killed one ranger in a previous attack. 

Now those responsible attacking the elephant are being hunted themselves so they can be prosecuted.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-12

• Sad 3

Sad story but it sounds like the locals had taken it upon themselves to try and kill the poor animal over a long period of time.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

It was suffering from flatulence and was given saline solution, pain medication and anti-inflammatories.

Sounds like a typical prescription for anyone going to see a doctor here.

I have been shot by a shot gun. 

The headline claims it had been shot 43 times. But it had 40 pellets from a shotgun. 

anyone who has been shot with a shotgun knows you can be shot once or twice to get that many shotgun pellets.the headline is wrong.

The Thai authorities will take this seriously, they are very serious about protecting elephants. If they catch who did it there will be a jail term as has been given in past cases. 

Natai Beach notes the original Sanook article does not claim the elephant was shot 43 times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Forty pellets from a shotgun , two from a .22 and one other projectile were discovered. 

Good clarification from @Natai Beach thanks. So it was shot at four times, once with a shotgun, twice with a .22 and once with something unidentified. Still means persons making a persistent attempt.

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

Were you shot  for reason of  extreme flatulence?

Sorry, but I had to ask !

No. 
I was shot by a Leb in Melbourne. I did sหเt myself when it happened, but not literally, no flatulence.

I hold no grudges, I sort of deserved it, a bit over the top, but I wasn’t an innocent party.

I am left to wonder  how the medications were delivered  to this  poor animal for the various aliments it suffered  before death. And was it the ailments that made it angry enough to kill a Ranger before succumbing to them or was it  the  gunshot  wounds inflicted  by others who came to be frightened by it ?

Sad outcome  either way.

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I have been shot by a shot gun. 

The headline claims it had been shot 43 times. But it had 40 pellets from a shotgun. 

anyone who has been shot with a shotgun knows you can be shot once or twice to get that many shotgun pellets.the headline is wrong.

The Thai authorities will take this seriously, they are very serious about protecting elephants. If they catch who did it there will be a jail term as has been given in past cases. 

Natai Beach notes the original Sanook article does not claim the elephant was shot 43 times. 

Was it noted that the following was stated in that Sanook https://www.sanook.com/news/8334810/ article:

• Kui Buri Forest Elephant is dead. After 30 days of life-long treatment, Dr. Ng dissected the carcass and found 43 bullets of various kinds.

image.png.60881c8cd71aa812863854525ac6ba95.png

56 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Was it noted that the following was stated in that Sanook https://www.sanook.com/news/8334810/ article:

• Kui Buri Forest Elephant is dead. After 30 days of life-long treatment, Dr. Ng dissected the carcass and found 43 bullets of various kinds.

image.png.60881c8cd71aa812863854525ac6ba95.png

correct.
It found 43, 40 of which were shotgun pellets. 

pretty impossible to shoot an elephant with a single shotgun pellet 40 times. 

So, it wasn’t shot 43 times as claimed in the headline above. 

Thankyou for clarifying.

0A6E9253-1065-49A0-8E20-1F99B25C494D.jpeg