Replacement Thai Birth Certificate

Saltire

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum ..... please move if appropriate.

Having written to my 2 UK pension companies, in order for my wife to access a widows pension, one of the documents needed is her birth certificate. Unsurprisiingly she can't find the original, so being proactive I asked her to arrange for a replacement, 2 copies if allowed..

Today she went to the local amphur, an hours drive from home, on some other business with her brother and attempted to get 2 copies of said certificate.

She called me first to say she needed to take a relative (as well as her brother) meaning a return visit. Ten minutes later she called again saying she needed her 2 brothers, her cousin, her husband (me)) and our original marriage certificate. The reason given for so many witnesses was identity theft by migrant workers to obtain Thai documentation.

Is this standard practice? Has anyone had to get a Thai birth certificate?

Looks like a family outing has to be arranged.

That seems to be a misunderstanding of what she needs.

Her birth has already been registered and  it would be shown in her records they can access on their computers.

They normally would not be able to issue a new birth certificate.

Does she have a copy of her birth certificate someplace?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems to be a misunderstanding of what she needs.

Her birth has already been registered and  it would be shown in her records they can access on their computers.

They normally would not be able to issue a new birth certificate.

Does she have a copy of her birth certificate someplace?

My UK pension companies will ask for an original copy of her birth certificate, but she has no clue where it could be. They also need original of my eventual death certificate. I know doctors can issue multiple copies of this as they are requested by many organisations and lawyers.

A few years ago we easily got a copy of her late husbands death certificate, even though he was from a different province, so I assumed this would be straightforward (!). Yes I am sure they have it in their system but need many witnesses before they will issue a copy.

Stamped 'copies' from the ampur will need to do unless she finds the original.

17 minutes ago, Saltire said:

My UK pension companies will ask for an original copy of her birth certificate, but she has no clue where it could be. They also need original of my eventual death certificate. I know doctors can issue multiple copies of this as they are requested by many organisations and lawyers.

Tell them if they don't believe you are dead, they can keep paying the full pension.

As for her birth certificate, copy of her iD card should satisfy them.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Is this standard practice? Has anyone had to get a Thai birth certificate?

No, Yes,

All that was needed was ID card and fingerprint.

If she was born in the past 20 years any Amphur would be able to issue it.

If she was born 30+ years ago, it might not be in the national computer system, so Amphur of birth.

About 30bht.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

No, Yes,

All that was needed war ID card and fingerprint.

If she was born in the past 20 years any Amphur would be able to issue it.

If she was born 30+ years ago, it might not be in the national computer system, so Amphur of birth.

About 30bht.

She did go to her ampur of birth so it should be easy,

She is 40, took her id and tabien baan and copies of them but they stil insist on family witnesses.

Yes paid 30 baht for her ex death certificate, so would expect the same.

• Like 1

We had a similar situation, with an occupational pension scheme, I managed to get the Scheme Administrators / Manager to copy and witness her current Thai Passport (with valid UK visitors Visa within), when I was back in the UK. They were happy with that as proof of age, especially as she had been through the mill to get the UK visa.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Saltire said:

They also need original of my eventual death certificate. I know doctors can issue multiple copies of this as they are requested by many organisations and lawyers.

The only experience I have had of those procedures, was in Scotland a good while ago, the doctors / Hospital Cert was taken to the Registrars office and they issued multiple, Serial Numbered , Death Certificates, to allow execution of the estate. 

My daughter got a certified copy of her birth certificate a few months ago. Even though she was born in Phetchabun, went to an Amphur in Bangkok. All she had to do was show her ID card. Although she did have a copy of the original birth certificate. Took five minutes and cost 10 baht a stamped copy.

• Like 2

Thanks all, looks like yet another example of wild inconsistency between Thai offices.

Finding it hard to get a 'family' member to go with her. Now has to be over 50 and same family name on ID card.

And when we find one willing to help, no doubt they will want paid for their time.

• 1 month later...

I got a certfied copy of my daughters birth certificate at the amphur where she was born. I went there alone (I speak Thai), showed my passport and they carefully asked for the reason, that's all. Easy, quick and cheap.  

It's almost impossible to get a new birth certificate issued, what you get is a certified copy.