I'm going to be upgrading soon, looking at the Forza 350.

But.

I've heard a "man in the pub" rumour that the new "big bike" licence and an over 400cc bike will allow motorway use.  If so, I'll revise my choice.

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Motorway use - don't think so If liter bikes can't use it, doubt 400cc will either

a member of my family is actually a manager in the department that issues driving licences to members of the public. As yet, she has not been made aware of the new licences.  This is not to say they w

Just imagine - a 25 year old Honda Wave with sidecar and canopy, BBQ grill attached, wheels wobbling like crazy due to worn out wheel bearings, chugging along in the RH lane at 40 kph, smoke pouring o

One of the problems with Expressway use is negotiating the toll booth. Motorbikes take longer. Unless all 400 cc motorbikes have easypass and even then how does one reverse a bike if the user has no money in credit.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways, my guess is they never will be allow.

Personally I wouldn't want to ride on a tollway anyway.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways,

But if driving keep your eyes open for the motorbikes which are actually on the Expressways. Usually passing on the left.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways, my guess is they never will be allow.

Personally I wouldn't want to ride on a tollway anyway.

I like the scenic roads too, but if you're going cross country because you need to be there, not just for fun, motorways are the easiest way to do it.  For example; Pattaya to Bangkok, Google Maps says 1 hour 50 on the motorway, 3 hours on routes 34 & 3.

• Like 2

Never read anything about motorway use for > 400cc, not even discussions.

And anyway... the way people drive on highways, change lines without looking..  not sure, I would want to use my bike there, even if allowed...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I like the scenic roads too, but if you're going cross country because you need to be there, not just for fun, motorways are the easiest way to do it.  For example; Pattaya to Bangkok, Google Maps says 1 hour 50 on the motorway, 3 hours on routes 34 & 3.

Yeah understandable but I would not go through Bkk on a bike anyways I go left or right of it going to the South. 😁

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah understandable but I would not go through Bkk on a bike anyways I go left or right of it going to the South. 😁

It was just an example of the difference in times.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But if driving keep your eyes open for the motorbikes which are actually on the Expressways. Usually passing on the left.

Frankly I don't know the difference thought expressways lead to tollways and a bikes on it turns off of them before getting to the toll road. ?

1 minute ago, uncleP said:

a member of my family is actually a manager in the department that issues driving licences to members of the public. As yet, she has not been made aware of the new licences.  This is not to say they won't happen just that presently there is no preparation for them.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're due to start mid-February this year, about 4 weeks away. If that's true, it's nice to see yet more of the usual Thai preparedness in action.

• Haha 1
Just now, MartinL said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're due to start mid-February this year, about 4 weeks away. If that's true, it's nice to see yet more of the usual Thai preparedness in action.

I do know that there's a test involved in getting the new licence.  Due to Covid, they aren't doing any tests, so maybe not their fault this time.

18 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I do know that there's a test involved in getting the new licence.  Due to Covid, they aren't doing any tests, so maybe not their fault this time.

Perhaps you're right but, at the same time, making DLT offices aware of new licence requirements should have been done months back. The current absence of tests is a very recent thing and, as you say, due to the 'new' Covid outbreak which dates back to around Christmas time. 

We all know how the local cops are portrayed:-

"You need a Big Bike licence to ride this motorcycle",

"I know but the DLT don't know about them yet",

"Hard luck, sonny. 1000฿ please".

EDIT - just found the article announcing the new licence laws - plus new higher speed limit - in the BPaperThatCannotBeNamed. It's dated 2nd. December so, to contradict myself a bit, DefaultName's probably right when he says " ... maybe not their fault this time".

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Frankly I don't know the difference thought expressways lead to tollways and a bikes on it turns off of them before getting to the toll road. ?

They are called Expressways (tollroads)in BKK. One pays a toll and they are elevated for the most part. 

There are occasionally motorbikes on them. I didn't say "civilian' motorbikes. Anyone who regularly travels on them will also have seen the motorbike fire appliances. It is just that if one drives on Expressways in and around BKk one has to be aware that they do very ocassionally come out of the blue. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1