400cc ??

DefaultName

I'm going to be upgrading soon, looking at the Forza 350.

But.

I've heard a "man in the pub" rumour that the new "big bike" licence and an over 400cc bike will allow motorway use.  If so, I'll revise my choice.

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Thanks.

One of the problems with Expressway use is negotiating the toll booth. Motorbikes take longer. Unless all 400 cc motorbikes have easypass and even then how does one reverse a bike if the user has no money in credit.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways, my guess is they never will be allow.

Personally I wouldn't want to ride on a tollway anyway.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways,

But if driving keep your eyes open for the motorbikes which are actually on the Expressways. Usually passing on the left.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only know motorbikes of any type are not allow on tollways, my guess is they never will be allow.

Personally I wouldn't want to ride on a tollway anyway.

I like the scenic roads too, but if you're going cross country because you need to be there, not just for fun, motorways are the easiest way to do it.  For example; Pattaya to Bangkok, Google Maps says 1 hour 50 on the motorway, 3 hours on routes 34 & 3.

• Like 2

Never read anything about motorway use for > 400cc, not even discussions.

And anyway... the way people drive on highways, change lines without looking..  not sure, I would want to use my bike there, even if allowed...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I like the scenic roads too, but if you're going cross country because you need to be there, not just for fun, motorways are the easiest way to do it.  For example; Pattaya to Bangkok, Google Maps says 1 hour 50 on the motorway, 3 hours on routes 34 & 3.

Yeah understandable but I would not go through Bkk on a bike anyways I go left or right of it going to the South. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But if driving keep your eyes open for the motorbikes which are actually on the Expressways. Usually passing on the left.

Frankly I don't know the difference thought expressways lead to tollways and a bikes on it turns off of them before getting to the toll road. ?

1 minute ago, uncleP said:

a member of my family is actually a manager in the department that issues driving licences to members of the public. As yet, she has not been made aware of the new licences.  This is not to say they won't happen just that presently there is no preparation for them.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're due to start mid-February this year, about 4 weeks away. If that's true, it's nice to see yet more of the usual Thai preparedness in action.

• Haha 1

Just now, MartinL said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're due to start mid-February this year, about 4 weeks away. If that's true, it's nice to see yet more of the usual Thai preparedness in action.

I do know that there's a test involved in getting the new licence.  Due to Covid, they aren't doing any tests, so maybe not their fault this time.

18 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I do know that there's a test involved in getting the new licence.  Due to Covid, they aren't doing any tests, so maybe not their fault this time.

Perhaps you're right but, at the same time, making DLT offices aware of new licence requirements should have been done months back. The current absence of tests is a very recent thing and, as you say, due to the 'new' Covid outbreak which dates back to around Christmas time. 

We all know how the local cops are portrayed:-

"You need a Big Bike licence to ride this motorcycle",

"I know but the DLT don't know about them yet",

"Hard luck, sonny. 1000฿ please".

EDIT - just found the article announcing the new licence laws - plus new higher speed limit - in the BPaperThatCannotBeNamed. It's dated 2nd. December so, to contradict myself a bit, DefaultName's probably right when he says " ... maybe not their fault this time".

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Frankly I don't know the difference thought expressways lead to tollways and a bikes on it turns off of them before getting to the toll road. ?

They are called Expressways (tollroads)in BKK. One pays a toll and they are elevated for the most part. 

There are occasionally motorbikes on them. I didn't say "civilian' motorbikes. Anyone who regularly travels on them will also have seen the motorbike fire appliances. It is just that if one drives on Expressways in and around BKk one has to be aware that they do very ocassionally come out of the blue. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

Well the local cops would have be informed after DLT and DLT have no instructions yet.

5 hours ago, MartinL said:

Afaik all police checkpoints have been suspended, so at least currently there is nobody checking licenses.

They also recently lowered the fine for driving without license to 200THB, so it will be 100THB tea money or 200THB at the station, doesn't really break the bank.

5 hours ago, MartinL said:

I asked her again today. They have been told nothing as yet.

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

They also recently lowered the fine for driving without license to 200THB, so it will be 100THB tea money or 200THB at the station, doesn't really break the bank.

Fine was never the problem.

What your insurance company will do if you have an accident and do NOT have a driving license is the problem.

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

They are called Expressways (tollroads)in BKK.

Nearly all of them called Expressways.

Once exception Din Daeng to Rangsit (past Don Muang) is call a Tollway (its owned by a different company and is more expensive to use).

Regular motorcycles not allowed (only Police or others with specific permission). 

400cc has been mulled as the cut off for requiring a ‘big bike licence’ - a flawed government knee-jerk reaction following a couple of high profile big bike accidents. 

It would be extremely useful for those with ‘fast’ bikes to be able to use the Expressways, especially when attempting to get across or out of Bangkok.

The issue is someone thinking their 125 wave is a big bike and trying to mix it up with the traffic cruising at 100-120kmh. 

The other issue is that as soon as some ‘big bikes' are permitted on the expressway the lax policing will simply enable the flouting of the regulations and regular scooters maxed out at 90kmh would become a common sight on the expressways causing issues to other traffic. 

• Confused 1

Just imagine - a 25 year old Honda Wave with sidecar and canopy, BBQ grill attached, wheels wobbling like crazy due to worn out wheel bearings, chugging along in the RH lane at 40 kph, smoke pouring out, rider oblivious ...

That is what will happen if Bikes are allowed.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Just imagine - a 25 year old Honda Wave with sidecar and canopy, BBQ grill attached, wheels wobbling like crazy due to worn out wheel bearings, chugging along in the RH lane at 40 kph, smoke pouring out, rider oblivious ...

That sounds terrible on any type of road let alone expressway...! ????

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Mmmmm.

Yum.

BBQ.

But you have to pass a check point when entering and exiting so it should be quite easy to firmly deny any bikes below 400cc to enter, always police around too? If the government tells the police there will be no exceptions from this rule (camera surveillance) and the hammer will come down hard on responsible persons at the check point if small bikes are seen riding on the expressway.

In Malaysia I think big bikes can go on the express ways?

For me living in Pattaya, it would be very good if possible to use the expressways when heading north or going to BKK.

The problem is that no government persons (that I know of) are bike enthusiast so they don't really care about us.

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

But you have to pass a check point when entering and exiting so it should be quite easy to firmly deny any bikes below 400cc to enter, always police around too? If the government tells the police there will be no exceptions from this rule (camera surveillance) and the hammer will come down hard on responsible persons at the check point if small bikes are seen riding on the expressway.

In Malaysia I think big bikes can go on the express ways?

For me living in Pattaya, it would be very good if possible to use the expressways when heading north or going to BKK.

The problem is that no government persons (that I know of) are bike enthusiast so they don't really care about us.

Its illegal for open pickups with cargo in the flatbed to drive on the express ways yet I see that daily. 

A mate trashed his car hitting a bag of cement at 120kmh which had somehow fallen out of a pick up. 

it only takes lazy ppl to allow the inevitable..  and the decision makers know already that allowing motorcycle on the expressways is unmanageable. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its illegal for open pickups with cargo in the flatbed to drive on the express ways yet I see that daily. 

A mate trashed his car hitting a bag of cement at 120kmh which had somehow fallen out of a pick up. 

it only takes lazy ppl to allow the inevitable..  and the decision makers know already that allowing motorcycle on the expressways is unmanageable. 

I see your point, the traffic police here is probably one of the worst in the world in enforcing the traffic rules.

They are more interested in tea money.

It's both a blessing and a curse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What motorways are these? apart from around Bangkok

None. Apart from around Bangkok. Except for , maybe, the bit of the Chonburi Motorway that is not tecnically in Bangkok. But if one lives upcountry it might as well be.

One day there will be one to HuaHin and also a bypass around Saraburi. 

Edited by VocalNeal