400cc ??

DefaultName

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I see your point, the traffic police here is probably one of the worst in the world in enforcing the traffic rules.

They routinely used to or do stop uncovered loads on the BKK-Chon. motorway.  I used to see it almost everytime I drove to Pattaya area.

OK, thanks for all the replies, original question answered.

As this has turned into a bit of a motorway debate, here's another question;

Is there a map of the road network showing the roads that bikes CAN'T go on?

Edited by DefaultName

^ In Bangkok there are lots of signs showing such info. Bang Na-Trat Hwy coming into Bangkok, past the outer ring road, comes to mind "in theory" bikes must stay on the frontage road. Maybe Vipvadi-Ransit is the same. 

In Indonesia Google has a "motorbike' option but not in Thailand.

Don't think any info such as you are asking for exists.

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ In Bangkok there are lots of signs showing such info. Bang Na-Trat Hwy coming into Bangkok, past the outer ring road, comes to mind "in theory" bikes must stay on the frontage road. Maybe Vipvadi-Ransit is the same. 

In Indonesia Google has a "motorbike' option but not in Thailand.

Don't think any info such as you are asking for exists.

Thanks.  Google maps DOES have a motorbike option, but only on Mobile.  How up to date it is though........ ?

When using Google maps to navigate just check the "no toll roads" option, this covers most situations and makes the navigation usable. Then you only have to pay some attention to underpasses, bridges and big roads where motorbikes may not use the inner lanes (nothing is stopping you from driving there, but if police happens to be there you might be fined).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When using Google maps to navigate just check the "no toll roads" option, this covers most situations and makes the navigation usable. Then you only have to pay some attention to underpasses, bridges and big roads where motorbikes may not use the inner lanes (nothing is stopping you from driving there, but if police happens to be there you might be fined).

Thanks, not going anywhere anytime soon but, after the restrictions, I'd like to see more of the country.  I've fallen into the "Pattaya rut" and need to get out and about more.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah understandable but I would not go through Bkk on a bike anyways I go left or right of it going to the South. ????

Who wrote anything about going to the South?  Left/right from which direction?  North, West or East?  How do you go left when coming from the East? 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, DefaultName said:

I do know that there's a test involved in getting the new licence.  Due to Covid, they aren't doing any tests, so maybe not their fault this time.

Surely there is going to be a test prior to issuing a 'big bike' license. Isn't that what this change is all about, ensuring that the rider is trained and competent? If it weren't then the whole thing would be a farce.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Surely there is going to be a test prior to issuing a 'big bike' license. Isn't that what this change is all about, ensuring that the rider is trained and competent? If it weren't then the whole thing would be a farce.

Yes, there will be.  But right now, they aren't doing tests.  No test = no 400cc licence, carry on as you are for now.

Happy to be contradicted here.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Why is that?

Boring.. 

41 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Who wrote anything about going to the South?  Left/right from which direction?  North, West or East?  How do you go left when coming from the East? 

Obviously from North are you not able to work that out. ????

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

It' really annoying in BKK though. Google Maps will constantly try to make you move to the inner lanes which are prohibited. Also the signs as to which lanes you are allowed to ride in are sometimes only visible after you can't cross over to get out of it anymore. And many times the frontage and main road split and merge over and over again. And sometimes it looks like it's just the frontage splitting off again but it turns out it's now a separate road going somewhere totally different. Also sometimes you DO have to go on an overpass for example to cross the river. Trying to stay on the side because you think you have to take the lower part will result in having to turn around. A hell of a road system...

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

And sometimes it looks like it's just the frontage splitting off again but it turns out it's now a separate road going somewhere totally different.

This is common because they don't want to build a seperate bridge for the frontage road so one has to turn left , do a U turn and.....