Restrictions could be eased in Bangkok within the next two weeks

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yet another that doesn't yet realise that there is a pandemic and, if anything, is getting more dangerous and easier to contract. Yet another that doesn't yet appreciate that the world has now changed and many aspects of our previous way of life might have to change, either for safety reasons or because the businesses we like to use may no longer be there in the future. That's just the way it is and it can't be wished away because we miss having a beer at a bar rather than at home.

Uh-huh. This terrible virus which for some reason is attracted to the consumption of alcohol, while the customers in the Thai restaurants next door to my shuttered pub, buzzing with activity, are somehow immune.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snig27 said:

And you are wrong. Tracing and targeted testing is how most of the successful countries have done it. A doctor friend in New Zealand said to me two weeks back that the medical community there regards Thailand’s response as well executed and successful.  Maybe you have a medical degree and some other data? 

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure  you would need to test first before doing any contact tracing !

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure  you would need to test first before doing any contact tracing !

True, but if you do it properly from the beginning it doesn't need mass testing though. Test and contact tracing, which is what Thailand has done pretty well for most of the year, is the key in early outbreaks and clusters. We'll soon see if they've lost control or not. If you're mass testing, it means things have already gone wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I think the major factor for the low numbers across many Asian countries has been due to closing down their borders, followed by mask wearing, & social distancing. Meanwhile countries such as the UK have only just required people to pass a Covid test in order for them to enter, which is absolute madness after all of this time! 

True.. A lot of effort and money has been put into testing asymptomatic cases in the UK, and producing statistics, but not too much effort into lockdowns and border control. It remains to be seen if the effort put into vaccination is going to be big enough and fast enough to avoid more problems.

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

not public riots and mad loonies protesting for maniacs like Donald Trump and the likes. 

Not sure if you have been living on the moon for the past 6 months but we have had protests and riots here too.. 

I also first thought Thailand was doing well in controlling the virus. Now I think its a matter of testing. They weren't testing anyone before so of course they wont find any cases lol.

now they are testing and lo and behold guess what?? it took me a while to put 2 and 2 together but now ive got 4 mate ????

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It's honestly so  heartwarming for me to know that i'm living in a country that understands the basic fundamentals on how to successfully control the spread of this virus. 
And most of all, thank you so much to the Thai people who really put huge effort into social distancing, mask wearing, and providing hand sanitizer in all of he stores & shopping malls. It really goes to show that Thailand  has a real community spirit, where everyone gets together and contributes by helping out each other.  

Yeah 33 new cases in Bangkok and now time to ease the restrictions there. I suppose that is as you say knowing how to successfully control the virus!! 

17 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

It is a matter of perspective and attitude as how one thinks of Thailand.

I am now in my 19th consecutive year of actually living here. With different experiences in many areas of Thailand I conclude that I am very much happy here.

Those matters including Government, driving my car and riding my bike, corona virus, the Thai people and many other aspects of Thai living are well within my tolerance levels and acceptance.

I do not court problems and trouble so I get very little of it.

"driving my car and riding my bike,"  Are you saying you get very little problems doing this?? Do you really drive and ride?? However, apart from the "government", I agree with the rest of your post.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"driving my car and riding my bike,"  Are you saying you get very little problems doing this?? Do you really drive and ride?? However, apart from the "government", I agree with the rest of your post.

I only tell the truth.

I have been driving my car here for 18 years and riding my bike (about 70,000 kms in 12 years) and never been involved in a single incident of any kind. In fact I saw my first accident actually happen (not involving me, except that I saw it) only two weeks ago! Yes, I see just about every day Thai driving and accidents that have already happened and thousands of accidents waiting to happen.

Have I been lucky - yes a bit but I prefer to say I haven't been unlucky.

15 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I only tell the truth.

I have been driving my car here for 18 years and riding my bike (about 70,000 kms in 12 years) and never been involved in a single incident of any kind. In fact I saw my first accident actually happen (not involving me, except that I saw it) only two weeks ago! Yes, I see just about every day Thai driving and accidents that have already happened and thousands of accidents waiting to happen.

Have I been lucky - yes a bit but I prefer to say I haven't been unlucky.

you have been very lucky. 

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been driving and riding here for 15 years and never had an accident, but no one will ever change my mind on this.

Thai people in the vast majority are very honest, decent and unconfrontational, and apart from them jumping in front of me in a queue, have never had any problems with them.

But when the majority of them get behind a steering wheel or handlebars, they just do not have much common sense at all, also, the roads are full of motorbike riders wearing masks but no crash helmet, it is just pure stupidity.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

you have been very lucky. 

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been driving and riding here for 15 years and never had an accident, but no one will ever change my mind on this.

Thai people in the vast majority are very honest, decent and unconfrontational, and apart from them jumping in front of me in a queue, have never had any problems with them.

But when the majority of them get behind a steering wheel or handlebars, they just do not have much common sense at all, also, the roads are full of motorbike riders wearing masks but no crash helmet, it is just pure stupidity.

I agree with you. It seems to me that the awful attitude towards other road users and the law by the great majority of Thai driving is cultural! It needs to change. It could have changed in the generation I have lived here. There are children and teenagers riding motorbikes and driving cars that were not even born when I first arrived with exactly the same mind set as all those before them.

We both know the reasons for this -  disgraceful and irresponsible parents and just about no law enforcement. It is a serious indictment on Thai society!

• Like 2

The restrictions, or lack of restriction's, is a minefield. In Roi Et schools are open because the governor states that Roi Et is free from Covid and a Safe Zone. However he has closed all the bars and restaurants. However some are closed and others are operating normally. I have no idea what the restrictions are in Roi Et or why some comply and others don't. Hey Ho!

On 1/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, Kaopad999 said:

It's honestly so  heartwarming for me to know that i'm living in a country that understands the basic fundamentals on how to successfully control the spread of this virus. 
And most of all, thank you so much to the Thai people who really put huge effort into social distancing, mask wearing, and providing hand sanitizer in all of he stores & shopping malls. It really goes to show that Thailand  has a real community spirit, where everyone gets together and contributes by helping out each other.  

What a bunch of baloney. The root cause of all of this stems from the same people you seem to think are so great at handling this problem. Who do you think is allowing all of these infected migrants in the country to spread this virus in the first place? Follow the money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, Kaopad999 said:

Sheeeet, that was the biggest lick of the rear end that i've ever seen on TVF !     I hope you're getting paid for that......  

On 1/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, Surasak said:

Fully understand your statement regarding the impact on children due to closed schools. However, just because the virus does not seriously impact on these children, doesn't mean they are not carriers and spreaders of said virus.

That is true.  But the virus will never be eliminated completely.  It would seem that the vast majority of infected people in Thailand are asymptomatic or have minor symptoms.  We have to accept that Covid is here to stay for months and most likely years. Precautions should continue to be taken, but schools must open.

17 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Sheeeet, that was the biggest lick of the rear end that i've ever seen on TVF !     I hope you're getting paid for that......  

I wish i was.... 
I'm actually saving all of my 'positive' posts for when i apply for my  permanent residence next year. Hopefully it will score me a few brownie points. ????????

On 1/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, Dialemco said:

So you wouldn't  want the Covid Vaccines from these countries to get you out of the pandemic which being relied upon by Thailand especially the Oxford Vaccine to be manufactured in Thailand on a without profit basis.

What the hell are you talking about?

On 1/12/2021 at 9:36 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. I've seen that two supermarket chains in the UK are only now requiring customers to wear face masks when they enter the store, something Thailand did nine or10 months ago. We have a paradox here. Thai people often routinely ignore rules and laws, yet with Covid the vast majority have complied. My wife says it's because the people are afraid of the virus, not only for themselves but they are afraid to spread it. For example, at New Year a niece didn't return to our village for that reason.

Masks on Samui started early April and has been in order since.

56 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

Brazil seemingly did not take it seriously from the outset......

Is it a hot country or a cold country? Has it been ravaged by Covid or not?

I could mention other countries currently struggling with Covid, most of the Middle East, India etc.

Edited by polpott

On 1/15/2021 at 2:25 AM, polpott said:

Is it a hot country or a cold country? Has it been ravaged by Covid or not?

I could mention other countries currently struggling with Covid, most of the Middle East, India etc.

For god's sake - are you just intent being proven right?  

My original remark simply suggested that the virus may thrive in colder climates.....

Expand your horizons buddy, you may even start liking yourself ????

13 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

For god's sake - are you just intent being proven right?  

My original remark simply suggested that the virus may thrive in colder climates.....

Expand your horizons buddy, you may even start liking yourself ????

Look in the mirror. You started this exchange by dissing one of my posts.