Unusual/Uncommon Must-Do/See in Bangkok

digibum

Even before Covid, I was starting to feel a little “been there, done that”’with most of Bangkok, which, to me, seems crazy given the size and diversity of the city.  

Sure, new restaurants and bars pop up (and disappear) all the time, but what’s your sort of must-see/do kind of stuff in Bangkok?  The kind of stuff that’s not in Lonely Planet or on some “The Top 10 Things To Do in Bangkok”’websites?  

Like, I remember the first time I stumbled into Brown Sugar (across from Lumpini Park) and being blown away by a good jazz bar in Bangkok.  

Tired of taking out of town guests to do the usual Grand Palace, Wat Pho, KSR, Nana, Cowboy tours of the city.  

What kinds of places would you take someone that thinks they know Bangkok that would blow their mind? 

Obviously it's difficult at the moment with the Covid restrictions but I came across this YT video the other day... . 

... Looks like a different kind of night out than I usually have with mates/the GF so will be checking it out when things open up again.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Obviously it's difficult at the moment with the Covid restrictions but I came across this YT video the other day... . 

... Looks like a different kind of night out than I usually have with mates/the GF so will be checking it out when things open up again.... 

Used to be the Radio control/modelmaking/electronics market. Better when it was that!

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yes, I’ve seen this video before.  I like this dude. Always interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:10 AM, Mike Teavee said:

where to stay in Bkk when thai lockdown...

26 minutes ago, rotorbreeze said:

where to stay in Bkk when thai lockdown...

The world is your lobster at the moment, there are some very nice hotels going very cheaply, e.g. my mate has been staying at the Avani on Sukhumvit (opposite On Nut BTS station), it's a lovely hotel, costs around 1,200 THB per night. 

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The world is your lobster at the moment

LOL...that takes me back a bit!

In the mid-80s I attended a TQM meeting in Sydney with Rank Xerox and a new GM had just been appointed and he was giving a sort of introduction/peptalk to the folk in the company.

He was from Spain as I recall, and when he spoke he had quite a Spanish lilt, understandable but one had to listen, and when he was talking about working hard and putting right any defects that were found in the manufacturing, he said that if you do that, the company would go places and "the world would be your lobster", meaning of course the world would be your oyster, and it got quite a few chuckles from those who knew the original saying.

• Like 2