Reduced water, electricity bills among relief measures approved by Cabinet

snoop1130

Reduced water, electricity bills among relief measures approved by Cabinet

By THE NATION

800_c29761b733b4102.jpg

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved measures proposed by the Office of the National Economics and Social Development Council (NESDC) to help alleviate the people’s financial burden during the latest Covid-19 outbreak, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha announced after the meeting.

“The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority and Provincial Waterworks Authority will reduce water bills for February to March by 10 per cent to users in Bangkok and other provinces,” he said. “Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority and Provincial Electricity Authority will offer 90 units of electricity free to residential users and 50 units for small business users during the same period.”

The Cabinet has also told the Ministry of Finance to prepare the details of a new cash handout programme, with initial proposal to pay Bt3,500 per person per month for two months to those who have been affected by the outbreak or shutdown measures, including self-employed persons and farmers.

“The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission and internet service providers also would offer free speed adjustment to users of fixed broadband or home internet in order to promote working from home,” added Prayut. “Moreover, users of “MorChana” tracing application will not be charged mobile data fee.”

The prime minister added that the "Let’s Go Halves" co-payment shopping campaign will open for registration for another 1 million users by the end of January.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401111

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-12

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority and Provincial Electricity Authority will offer 90 units of electricity free to residential users and 50 units for small business users during the same period.”

I don't use 90 units. I better go turn something on.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Does 'Bangkok and other provinces' mean the whole of Thailand?

And what does 'free speed adjustment' of internet mean. Anyone guess!

The answer to your second question, and please keep in mind there will be no further clarification is "yes".

Welcome to Thailand!  ????

• Haha 1

A 10% reduction of my water bill is worth about 20 baht/month

And if that 90 units of electricity discount is given even when going over 90 units (i.e., KWH)...and I do go over 90KWH/month by a LOT due to A/C usage and loads of electrical/electronic devices being used...then that would be worth around Bt380/month since I pay around Bt4.2/KWH. 

So, maybe this relief measures will provide me around Bt400/month relief.  

Edit/Updte: using the MEA electricity tariff calculator my first 90 units cost me Bt314/month...so, 314 baht for electricity plus 20 baht for water is Bt334/month relief in my case.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Yippieh!

I am going to save 7 baht on water.

And 350 baht electricity.

What an unexpected windfall!

Perhaps I can use those 357 baht to help pull the tourism industry out of the muck by booking an upscale hotel room somewhere in the provinces. I wonder how many nights I can get for that.

Or maybe I'll just blow it all on 6 large bottles of Chang beer.

Some years ago if my electricity meter showed under 90 units per month there was no charge but if it went over the 90 units the charge was for the total units. Over the years the number of free electricity units has been reduced- but it still works on the same basis that if the meter shows more than the free allowance the charge is for the total amount. I suspect that the allowance just announced of 90 free units may be only if the meter stays below the 90.

• Like 1