Worst Excess Deaths in the UK Since WW2

On 1/15/2021 at 3:49 AM, Peter Denis said:

Does the fact that some countries are now doing a 2nd or 3rd lock-down, not 'proof' that such measures are not as effective as expected? 

No its doesn't.  It proves that countries like the UK did not also include other measures to prevent the spread when the lockdown ended. The first lockdown worked well but the UK still allowed international travellers to enter - many without quarantine.  There were very few, if any, checks on those that were subject to quarantine. My wife was subject to quarantine (rules changed a couple of weeks later) when she arrived. She, like all other travellers was required to complete a passenger locator form giving her contact details in the UK.  Nobody checked on her and from her communications with other travellers, it seems that nobody was checked. Also, it has taken until today for the UK to require all entrants to provide a negative Covid test.

The virus was never going to be eradicated by lockdowns unless that was total and enforced - and that was never the purpose of them, not in the UK anyway.  The purpose was to contain the virus as much as possible until a vaccine and/or cure could be found.

When the first lockdown ended it was obvious what was going to happen - there are so many reasons but 2 stand out for me - the lax quarantine requirements and kids going back to school after the summer holidays.  The UK government told us on many occasions that kids don't spread the virus - something that anyone who can remember their kids first starting school found incredible but the gov kept ramming that message home.

Kids in the UK went back to school in the first week of September - take a look a graphs showing when the current rise in infections began.

When Boris Johnson King of all U-turns, went on TV this month to announce the latest lockdown he openly stated that kids could not go to school because they transmitted the virus. No apology for his previous claims - just that.

Its a fact that if people don't mix, they can't transmit the virus. Lockdowns of the type we've had in the UK were never going to completely stop transmission because they were never total but they did limit it.  However, there's no point in having a lockdown at all if when it ends, you encourage activity that will aid the virus to spread again.

On top of all that, despite what the UK government may say, people have not been sticking to the rules.  I see infringments every time I go out - supermarkets are 'free for alls', people fail to use gloves at petrol stations, people still mix - I see my neighbours at it every day.  To top it all, the rules were relaxed for Christmas and families visited each other - crazy.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Confused 1