Under 50, but would like long stay.

Hello people. 

I'm married to a Thai, and we have a 4 year old with dual passports. We've been in the UK for 4 years, but have decided to move back to Buriram. I'm 44, therefore the Non-Imm' O isn't available, so now I'm wondering what visa I should go for.

When I lived in BKK I always had a Non-Imm' B with a WP, but I don't plan on working for anyone over there this time around. The financial side shouldn't be a problem (proof, statements, etc). 

Any help would be appreciated. 

You can apply for single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

Requirements are here. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

My general list of requirement for the extension is here. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

1 hour ago, OffshoreMig said:

Apply for a Marriage or Dependent visa.  Dependent visa best.  Need to show child's birth certificate with you nominated as father

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Marriage or Education Visa

No such thing as a Marriage Visa.

It's a Non O based on marriage to a Thai as already advised by UJ.

23 hours ago, stoneinfocus said:

I'm 44, therefore the Non-Imm' O isn't available, so now I'm wondering what visa I should go for.

You already have your answer but I'd be interested to know why you thought a Non O wasn't available for you.  Did you read that somewhere?

Hi

If your wife has been in the UK with you for 4+ years, isn’t it worth waiting until the 5th year and getting an indefinite leave to remain visa & British passport for her. May be useful in future years without having to do the whole (changing process) again.

11 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Hi

If your wife has been in the UK with you for 4+ years, isn’t it worth waiting until the 5th year and getting an indefinite leave to remain visa & British passport for her. May be useful in future years without having to do the whole (changing process) again.

If you spend more than 2 years continuously outside the UK even with ILR, (permanent residency) you can lose the ILR.

It's not as 'permanent' as you may think.

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

He did add "British passport". 

English language ability to minimum B1 level.

Pass the life in the UK test.

Be of good character.

Takes 6 months to approve application.

Bargain at £1,330 to apply + Biometric fees.

After 4+ years in the UK with his Thai wife, the OP obviously has a reason to return to Thailand.

I'm sure he is aware of the situation.

Yes, I’m aware of that, from what I understand you can apply for a British passport as soon as you get the I.L.R.

We’re in that situation at the moment, we’ve been back to London for just over 4 years (obv’ trips back and forth). Once possible we’ll apply for the British passport and myself a Thai Spouse visa. This should enable us to move between the two countries easier as we have places in both.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

English language ability to minimum B1 level.

Pass the life in the UK test.

Be of good character.

Takes 6 months to approve application.

Bargain at £1,330 to apply + Biometric fees.

After 4+ years in the UK with his Thai wife, the OP obviously has a reason to return to Thailand.

I'm sure he is aware of the situation.

Well done. However, I did not ask for details of how to get ILR. I am aware of that already. I just pointed to the question of the previous poster.

3 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Yes, I’m aware of that, from what I understand you can apply for a British passport as soon as you get the I.L.R.

We’re in that situation at the moment, we’ve been back to London for just over 4 years (obv’ trips back and forth). Once possible we’ll apply for the British passport and myself a Thai Spouse visa. This should enable us to move between the two countries easier as we have places in both.

If married to a British citizen she can apply after 3 years as long as she can pass the requirements.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Well done. However, I did not ask for details of how to get ILR. I am aware of that already. I just pointed to the question of the previous poster.

That wasn't for ILR, is was for British citizenship in order to obtain a British Passport that you mentioned.

I forgot to mention the 'citizenship ceremony' which can be 3-6 months after your citizenship application is approved. Maybe longer now due to Covid.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That wasn't for ILR, is was for British citizenship in order to obtain a British Passport that you mentioned.

I forgot to mention the 'citizenship ceremony' which can be 3-6 months after your citizenship application is approved. Maybe longer now due to Covid.

B1 and life in UK test is part of ILR application.

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If married to a British citizen she can apply after 3 years as long as she can pass the requirements.

I think you will find that is under the EU settlement process.

A Thai will need to meet the requirements for ILR first. In order to apply for ILR you need to have resided in UK for 5 years.

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I don't see where it says you can apply after 3 years if married to a British Citizen. Was this the old process that May changed?

From what we’ve been told and on the gov’ website it’s five years.

My wife entered on a Spouse/Partner Leave to Enter visa.

After two and half years she got her Spouse/Partner Leave to remain visa.

On five years she can apply for her I.L.R. visa & then apply for British passport.

Yes, I know the fees keep rising, especially HIS (health cover ones). That’s why I thought worth doing now instead of delaying and redoing everything at a higher cost at a later date.

I’m British.

My wife is a Thai Doctor – her English test scores are higher than required.

She has already passed the “Life in the UK” test

Has police checks

Earns more than the requirements

However, we still have to wait for 5 years.

Which I personally think is a disgrace if married to a British national, however they are the current government rules.

13 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I don't see where it says you can apply after 3 years if married to a British Citizen. Was this the old process that May changed?

From what we’ve been told and on the gov’ website it’s five years.

This is totally off topic, but .........

Eligibility and fees

You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:

are 18 or over

are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen

have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application.

Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

This is my last post on the subject.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Been there, done it, nuff said!

The UK Gov website is incorrect then.

I don't want this to turn into a tit-for-tat. I was just asking the question.

However, I'm sure it's 5 years. fron your link:

Eligibility and fees

You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:

• are 18 or over
  • are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen
  • have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application

You can apply as soon as you have one of the following:

• indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK
  • ‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)
  • a permanent residence document to prove you have permanent residence status

--

You must have I.L.R. which takes 5 years to get in the U.K. presently.

I'm posting this for clarity.

Thanks all for input.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

A Thai will need to meet the requirements for ILR first. In order to apply for ILR you need to have resided in UK for 5 years.

That's why I stated;

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

ILR is only one of the requirements.

Yeah, I look at ILR as paying £2k+ for the right to struggle in a rain-soaked land. 

We gave it a good go, but Covid has destroyed our chances. I can do what I do online, so it's a no-brainer to move back there. 

A further question: do we all need a Covid test? I know I need one, but does my Thai wife, and Thai 4 year old too??

Archived