Cabinet sets aside Bt1.47 bn to buy school milk from affected farmers

webfact

Cabinet sets aside Bt1.47 bn to buy school milk from affected farmers

By The Nation

800_bf4a5c4741f97d7.jpg?v=1610457307

The Cabinet on Tuesday earmarked Bt1.47 billion to purchase 213 million cartons of school milk to help ease dairy farmers’ suffering after their earnings dropped once schools were closed due to the new wave of Covid-19 infections.

Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset said the sale of dairy products has also dropped because the outbreak has weakened people’s purchasing power, while foreigners are not able to enter Thailand due to restrictions.

She added that the closure of schools has had an impact on dairy farmers because school milk cannot be sold commercially.

"The only way to ease dairy farmers’ suffering is to purchase 213 million cartons of school milk at Bt7 per carton,” she said.

The Cabinet has also instructed the ministry to come up with ways of increasing the value of the milk, such as processing it into whipped cream or cheese, and promoting the consumption of dairy products.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401125

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-13

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

The  only  people  making  money out of this  will be the  middlemen and not the farmers.

Well the middlemen's income will have suffered - and with it their informal fiscal arrangements with the no doubt ( God or The Buddha help us) extensive and thirsty multi layered administrative machine vital to ensure that the teachers have milk to put in their coffee ( sorry, I meant that Primary 3 get their milky drink at breaktime).

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Talking of Milk/Cream, anyone seen Heavy Cream in Thailand ?

I use to at tesco buy near expiring german made cream 30% for some 100b per litre, regular price 250b. Must be in some supermarkets. I do buy luxury goods only if heavy discounted.

this "school milk" has long shelf life, farmers do have time to change production lines. Dairy products are way too expensive to the average thai customers, they are more more expensive than in the west 

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I use to at tesco buy near expiring german made cream 30% for some 100b per litre, regular price 250b. Must be in some supermarkets. I do buy luxury goods only if heavy discounted.

this "school milk" has long shelf life, farmers do have time to change production lines. Dairy products are way too expensive to the average thai customers, they are more more expensive than in the west 

Have looked in 2 large(ish) Tesco's but do not have

The Dairy Industry in Thailand is pretty awful generally; they just don't try to make Milk and other Dairy Products appealing to the General Public at reasonable prices; like the Car Manufacturers, Beer Barons and all the other Trillionaires they just love price gouging their own people.

The Thai Government never helps in encouraging people to drink more Milk either by Promotional means or by Price Capping   If they are going to buy all this Surplus Milk then it should be distributed free to the poor so that their Kids can still get the benefit of it even though they are not at School but you can bet some Minister(s) or Relation's get involved in some Corrupt deal to sell it to some other country or such like !

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The only way to ease dairy farmers’ suffering is to purchase 213 million cartons of school milk at Bt7 per carton,” she said

Please explain how much of the 7 Baht will be deducted as 'Administration Fees'

Just how many 'dairy farms' are there in Thailand producing approved potable cows milk and not fluid expressed from Somchai's pregnant water Buffalo. I doubt that the well known producers such as Chok Chai farms is suffering financial hardship.