Private hospitals can import Covid vaccine: Thai FDA

webfact

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Exactly my point, and as it says in the wiki article, and remember China was ahead of everyone with the reseach long time before we even knew

Research into these viruses has been underway for a long time.  Luckily, due to Bill Gates $1 billion dollar investment, we had a head start on the jabs.

The US was working with China on these jabs, but Trump cancelled the program a few years ago.  More blood on his hands.

• Like 1

Given that private hospitals are likely going to be buying small amounts - hopefully they'll consolidate their requirements into one or two large orders, on the open market, their costs will probably be significantly higher that governments which are buying millions of doses.

I'm still thinking 5,000 baht all in (two doses, two hospital fees, two doctor's fees etc.) at the prominent international hospitals here. My doctor indicated a "reasonable" figure, similar to seasonal flu shots, one of which is ~ 1,800-ish I think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tagged said:
25 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

, similar to seasonal flu shots, one of which is ~ 1,800-ish I think.

800 - 1200 have been normal prices for one shot of flu vaccine. Then 800 + for dr fee

Are the flu vaccines 'brewed' locally or imported?

7 minutes ago, Tagged said:

800 - 1200 have been normal prices for one shot of flu vaccine. Then 800 + for dr fee

Yes, I was giving an all-in figure, from memory, for Bumrungrad. Looking at a recent bill I see 1,022 for the actual vaccine (for some reason I got a discount of 102, so net was 919.80?). Nurse fee of 130, and hospital charge of 300. The physicians fee was 2,000, but that was for a full annual physical review, I just happened to get the flu shot that same day.

Maybe I should up my guess to 6,000 all in, at Bumrungrad.

• Like 1

FIO...As more vaccine trials wrap up, it’s also becoming clear how much these vaccines will cost.gives an idea on a markup..Pfizer: $20 per dose.Free for early recipients. Moderna: $10 to $50 per dose. Free for early recipients.AstraZeneca under $4 per dose. Free for early recipients.....

Edited by Rinrada
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

from some news wire from Friday:

"Several private hospitals are reported to rush to order Covid-19 vaccines to accommodate the wealthy.

A number of private hospitals such as the Bangkok Dusit Medical Services (BDMS), Bangkok Chain Hospital Plc (BCH), Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG), Bumrungrad Hospital Plc (BH) and Vibhavadi Medical Center Plc (VIBHA). However, these hospitals cannot import Covid-19 vaccines directly but must seek orders with agencies or representatives of vaccine producers.

Pijit Viriyamettakul, managing director of VIBHA, said VIBHA had pre-ordered 50,000-60,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines from Moderna. It expects the vaccines to arrive in February 2021 and must be approved by the Food and Drug Administration before giving jabs to the general public.

It plans to charge 6,000-10,000 baht per person, Pijit said.

This week, Deputy Prime Minister and Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the government is not blocking the private sector from importing a Covid-19 vaccine but he wants them to follow the safety review process in every step."

Great news!  Thanks for posting!!

By law the Thai government can place price controls on any retail sale of a product. It should do so with each registered covid vaccine to be distributed in Thailand and dispensed to users regardless from whom the dispenser is, ie., private hospital or clinic.

Some misleading posts and replies have been removed,

Please take note of the following which is pinned at the head of the covid-19 forum

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

25 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

By law the Thai government can place price controls on any retail sale of a product. It should do so with each registered covid vaccine to be distributed in Thailand and dispensed to users regardless from whom the dispenser is, ie., private hospital or clinic.

They can do that, but I don't think it's done much.  Especially considering the ridiculous prices some of the private hospitals charge!!! LOL

Hopefully, as stated above, it will be 6-10k Baht for the series.  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

The never ending constant TVF negativity never stops. 

Good news, but the first comments imagine it will be fake, it will be too expensive, problems in Brazil, it will be available on footpaths, the Thai middleman will cheat etc etc.

All imagined. Nothing based on any facts. Only in their heads. Strange people.

They make it all up and talk themselves into living a life of extreme paranoia. 

Oi, don’t come round these parts with your toxic positivity mate.

We have standards to maintain you know...

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/toxic-positivity-during-the-pandemic

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Thailand Red Cross should receive any easily stored registered Covid-19 vaccine. 

As for temperatures. I assume the Thai Red Cross and local hospitals can store items at dry ice temperatures. It's not high tech compared to their 2-Tesla MRIs, gene sequencers, liquid oxygen tanks, etc.  The problem is storing very large quantities. Enough for commercial use should be OK.

Personalty, I want the 95% one. Looking forward to a day of fever now that I bought a good quality Infrared Thermometer.

• Like 1

If I can take a needle to the back of my left eyeball, which I have to do a few times every year, I'll sure be ready for a jab to the arm from Bumrungrad whenever they are ready for me. 

But I would like to know if there will be options for which vaccines to be used; my son, who has a degree in public health, says look for the Pfizer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

this opens the book on another load of questions,how do these private hospitals access the vaccs when govt cannot presently,i would have thought theyd confiscate it and use on the health workers not sanction it?why would the govt allow the rich to circumvent the process of govt vaccs.what of the costs and acceptance by authorities of such a process.?what if someone has an adverse reaction,whos responsible?its another mad corruption fuelled dash to the pay out,private hospitals -wow no moral compass what so ever.par for the course unfortunately.i find it hard to believe that this can pass muster when every other country so far says and acts as vaccination is a public right and the rich cant queue jump.we are living in a moral vaccuum if its allowed to pass,who do they source the vaccs from?pfizer astra are in full knowledge of this?i see the chinese are selling their vacc on open mkts but what do you expect from the buffet crew who gave us the virus,typical!theirs is 2nd rate anyway so i think if your gonna pay you will get a good one.this shows in the full light of day how corrupt the system is.

Letting rich jump queue to take Covid vaccine is not as bad as it sounds. They will become human guinea pig for hastily developed vaccine and the rest of the population will benefit from the early vaccinations results.  

• Haha 1

Just now, sanmyintmaung said:

Letting rich jump queue to take Covid vaccine is not as bad as it sounds. They will become human guinea pig for hastily developed vaccine and the rest of the population will benefit from the early vaccinations results.  

For people in business that require travelling such as offshore workers  etc it will be essintial and critical for them to get the flue shot so they can travel. I believe most people understand that. Most ordinary people do not need to travel in their daily life, so if I can cut the line, and get back to work in my home country, good, and Im willing to pay

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Ummm....millions have already been jabbed.  So they'll hardly be at the front of the line.  Just the front here in Thailand, who's behind many other countries with regards to a jab.

5 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

this opens the book on another load of questions,how do these private hospitals access the vaccs when govt cannot presently

1. Government can access now and is in process of importing

the import process until FDA registration is complete and that can be a long process. Right now, today, no private hospital can import the vaccine because no registered brand yet. And once registration is complete there is the problem of availability as manufacturers are being inundated with orders. A small volume order is  likely to go to the back of the queue - if manufacturer even willing ti take it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

Pijit Viriyamettakul, managing director of VIBHA, said VIBHA had pre-ordered 50,000-60,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines from Moderna. It expects the vaccines to arrive in February 2021 and must be approved by the Food and Drug Administration before giving jabs to the general public.

It plans to charge 6,000-10,000 baht per person, Pijit said.

That is a big mark-up on a 1,000thb vaccine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That is a big mark-up on a 1,000thb vaccine.

Yes, but I suppose that, unlike much of uninsured Thai society, big private hospitals will have some liability for getting it right, like the problem of malpractice insurance in the US; and that always runs up prices.