Private hospitals can import Covid vaccine: Thai FDA

webfact

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That is a big mark-up on a 1,000thb vaccine.

You've not adding in transport costs, storage costs, nurse costs, doctor costs, etc, etc, etc.  Private hospitals are not in the biz to lose money.  Like very other business, they need to make a profit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rabas said:

As for temperatures. I assume the Thai Red Cross and local hospitals can store items at dry ice temperatures. It's not high tech compared to their 2-Tesla MRIs, gene sequencers, liquid oxygen tanks, etc.  The problem is storing very large quantities. Enough for commercial use should be OK.

Personalty, I want the 95% one. Looking forward to a day of fever now that I bought a good quality Infrared Thermometer.

It makes sense to use a 95% vaccine to be safer. Let's hope that the government will have a database where any who administer vaccinations can register the vaccinee, vaccine used, etc. and that there can be feedback, where adverse effects, subsequent infections, possibly transmitting infection to others will be available for analysis.

We should be aware that with the highly infectious variants in the UK and South Africa which inevitably will get here sooner or later, the percentage of population vaccinated will have to be higher than previously thought to achieve herd immunity. This rate needed to reach herd immunity is also a function of the mix of vaccines with higher or lower efficacy, so using a lot of the lower efficacy vaccine would mean that the percentage vaccinated would have to be even higher to achieve herd immunity. The fifty percent efficacy standard of WHO seems to be an awfully low bar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, placnx said:

It makes sense to use a 95% vaccine to be safer. Let's hope that the government will have a database where any who administer vaccinations can register the vaccinee, vaccine used, etc. and that there can be feedback, where adverse effects, subsequent infections, possibly transmitting infection to others will be available for analysis.

We should be aware that with the highly infectious variants in the UK and South Africa which inevitably will get here sooner or later, the percentage of population vaccinated will have to be higher than previously thought to achieve herd immunity. This rate needed to reach herd immunity is also a function of the mix of vaccines with higher or lower efficacy, so using a lot of the lower efficacy vaccine would mean that the percentage vaccinated would have to be even higher to achieve herd immunity. The fifty percent efficacy standard of WHO seems to be an awfully low bar.

Agree. The personal side is that 95% efficacy gives you a 1 in 20 chance of contracting covid-19, if exposed. At 67% efficacy, your chance of getting it is 1/3. Not so good.

And the thrill of reprogramming my genes!  Wait, mRNA vaccines do not do that. mRNA vaccines do nothing beyond what the virus particle, any virus particle, can do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Depends how fancy the hospital is . I know one that charges 3-4 times price of most of the others where I live for same treatment. Although it looks like a hotel ????

For me? I visit the local government hospital. Great service and great prices. LOL

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Was it just two or three weeks ago,  Time flies. The hospital that the government banned  from selling the vaccine was going to sell the moderna vaccine. 

Obviously they could get it, and fast. :whistling:

If I am not mistaken they were selling appointments in the future.  I don't think they had the vaccine yet.  Also, I read some stories that suggested it might have been one of the Chinese vaccines they were selling appointments for. 

I believe Pfizer/Moderna/AstraZeneca specifically forbid any country from allowing for profit sales.  That's another possible reason the Thai gov't stepped in and told them to stop that.

Edited by shdmn