More cash handouts in pipeline as new virus wave takes toll

webfact

More cash handouts in pipeline as new virus wave takes toll  

By The Nation

800_3ae36c711671451.jpeg?v=1610448968

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith

A new round of cash handouts to help people burdened by the fresh wave of Covid-19 will be proposed to Cabinet next Tuesday (January 19), said finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith on Tuesday. 

Speaking after the weekly Cabinet meeting, Arkhom said that under the plan, a payment of Bt3,500 would be made in February and March to low-income groups including farmers and freelancers who register for the RaoChana (We Win) campaign. Registration for the cash handouts is set to open at the end of January.

Arkhom added that he would also ask the Cabinet in the next two weeks to cut the land and construction tax by 90 per cent and cut the property transfer fee to 0.01 per cent.

He added that he had already discussed the measure with the Interior Ministry.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401122

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-13

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

While nothing can make up for the money lost because of the first wave of the Wuhan virus, the first lots of stimulus in Thailand were well received and kept millions of people above water. 

As with welfare around the world, you always get some people complaining it isn’t enough. 

It has been well targeted and not a free for all like it was in Australia with billions of dollars going to those who didn’t even need it and the country being thrown into massive debt that the latest guesstimate will take 60 years to pay back. 
News in Australia yesterday was Toyota said they were giving their handouts back because they couldn’t justify keeping it. That is nice, but you can bet 99% won’t be doing the same. 

An economic disaster made a lot worse by a weak government. Other western countries look to have done the same to prop up their popularity with voters.

Thailand has balanced the situation a lot better so far economically.

Oh, I see. A government that is buying submarines and talking about moon shots is handling things better economically.

I don't disagree Australia was dumb in handing out cash in the wrong places. However, if you talked to people such as golf caddies, massage shop employees, and bar owners, they are hurting badly from the almost complete disappearance of tourists from Thailand.

Tell me, how long do you think YOU could live on a one-off handout of 3500 baht? I could spend that in a few days, and I am not extravagant.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I don't disagree Australia was dumb in handing out cash in the wrong places. However, if you talked to people such as golf caddies, massage shop employees, and bar owners, they are hurting badly from the almost complete disappearance of tourists from Thailand.

Tell me, how long do you think YOU could live on a one-off handout of 3500 baht? I could spend that in a few days, and I am not extravagant.

That should cover the golf caddies I use for a couple of months. They only earn an average of 200/300 baht a day.

For many here that is a lot of money

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

That should cover the golf caddies I use for a couple of months. They only earn an average of 200/300 baht a day.

For many here that is a lot of money

Talking to a couple of caddies where I play, their income pre-COVID in high season was 8000- 9000 baht/month. Now they are lucky to make 2000 - 3000.

IMO your estimate is low, the standard caddie tip in Chiang Rai is 300 baht. Then there is the caddie fee which is charged by the office along with the green fees. Reputable courses pay most of that to the caddies as well, I know one that doesn't.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Oh, I see. A government that is buying submarines

Bloody stupid isn’t it.

I don’t know why we need 12 expensive new ones from the French, we could have just bought 2 and get one free from China.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6517803/new-sub-fleet-blows-out-to-225-billion/?cs=14231

About a day, but to the poorest Thais it goes a lot further.
The farmers have received more than 3,500. I don’t know about caddies, hookers and pimps. 

And I would never take welfare anyway. It would feel wrong, like I am dipping into to someone else’s pocket. 
You know that.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Bloody stupid isn’t it.

I don’t know why we need 12 expensive new ones from the French, we could have just bought 2 and get one free from China.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6517803/new-sub-fleet-blows-out-to-225-billion/?cs=14231

About a day, but to the poorest Thais it goes a lot further.
The farmers have received more than 3,500. I don’t know about caddies, hookers and pimps. 

And I would never take welfare anyway. It would feel wrong, like I am dipping into to someone else’s pocket. 
You know that.

They get it in 500 baht tranches, not as a lump sum. IMO a skinflint amount.

Yes , I do know you are opposed to welfare. However, let me suggest if your investment properties burned to the ground, your fund manager absconded to Brazil with all your savings etc., and you suddenly had zero income because you were unemployed into the bargain, you would swallow your pride.

I am in my position of getting a part pension because of the incompetence of government, embodied by ASIC. I have no compunction whatsoever of getting whatever I can from the same people that failed to protect me as an investor.

Edited by Lacessit

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes , I do know you are opposed to welfare. However, let me suggest if your investment properties burned to the ground, your fund manager absconded to Brazil with all your savings etc., and you suddenly had zero income because you were unemployed into the bargain, you would swallow your pride.

Nah, I would get a job.

* i am not opposed to welfare for disabled people 

I like how thailand doesn’t have dole bludgers.