18° This Morning...Never Thought I'd Want A Heater In Pattaya

Pattaya Spotter

12 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It has been darn cold ???? in the mornings this week...never thought I would need a heater in my house or space heater in my room in Pattaya ????????????

It'll get a bit warmer at night as we head into the weekend, but then it's back to frigid nights next week, and it might get even colder.

Unusual to have such a protracted cool spell here, it's mid-January and by now the cool season should be well in retreat.

One small consolation is that the village swimming pool gets too cold for us tropical softies to use in this weather, so the fact that Covid has closed it makes no difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was in Pattaya mid December and the hotel pool was quite a challenge.

Did a bit of dabbling and enough.

I've been swimming in the sea at Jomtien recently and it's not too bad after you get over the first minute or so of cold shock. But with the maximum afternoon temperature only 25° C, and a stiff northerly breeze, getting out of the water is worse than getting into it, so I'm back to exercising Shank's Pony until the weather warms up a bit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

18°C? Wimp :biggrin:

Come up here.

What do you think about 10°C?

And you can have it lower.

At 7 AM the thermometer in the outside shack showed 12°C.

I was in Pattaya mid December and the hotel pool was quite a challenge.

Did a bit of dabbling and enough.

Yep...20 years in Thailand has definitely made me a temperature wimp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

I've been swimming in the sea at Jomtien recently and it's not too bad after you get over the first minute or so of cold shock. But with the maximum afternoon temperature only 25° C, and a stiff northerly breeze, getting out of the water is worse than getting into it, so I'm back to exercising Shank's Pony until the weather warms up a bit.

Shank’s Pony ????????not heard that for a long time. First time I heard I was over the moon I thought my dad was buying me a Pony ???? ????????????are you a Staffordshire person ????????

One of the main reasons I wanted to live here was to escape the Canadian cold. I recall the last summer I lived in Canada (2003), waking up in the morning during the hottest part of the year and it was 17 degrees.

Last summer I went back to Canada at the end of June. During the day the temp was up to 28+. Day 3 it clouded over and an hour later it started raining. The temp dropped to 7 !
A 21 degree drop in an hour !

I don't mind the cool here. I can wear a hoodie in the mornings if it's a wee bit nipply and I know that within a couple hours it'll be back to quite comfortable temperatures. At night I have a fan blowing out a window to help circulate the air in the house but I don't need the air con.

I too wouldn't mind if it stayed like this all year round. Surely there has to be a place, somewhere, where it does stay like this year round ?

13 hours ago, Susco said:

Love it, didn't have to cut the grass for 2 weeks as it doesn't grow.

Cleaned the house today, and didn't sweat.

Aircon uses less electricity.

Couldn't we have this all year around?

Aircon?

We have hardly used the aircon in the last few months. This week not even a fan on.

I am not that far from Pattaya but a rural area, dropped to 15 overnight Monday with a very cool breeze all day Tuesday.

Just waiting for the sun to come up before a bit of gardening.

yeah 18 also in Nonthaburi...I took this as a good morning to cook up a storm...got the Pressure cooker going with some potatoes, skillet heating for some saute, and some pork loin broiling in the toaster oven. BTW...just got my electric bill from the meter reader outside...372 baht.....life is good today !

OMG so many wimps and moaning people, trey wrapping up warmer and exercise instead of sitting at a computer and whinging. Cold is good, gets rids of some bugs etc. used to happen a decade ago.

So many fragile old people and before you say anything I am over 70 .

Get a life and stop complaining, my cousin in the UK over 85, it is Minus 2 and rises just above 0 in the day. 

You all go back and then moan !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johnbarpic said:

Shank’s Pony ????????not heard that for a long time. First time I heard I was over the moon I thought my dad was buying me a Pony ????????????????are you a Staffordshire person ????????

Yorkshire saying as well

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I don't mind the cool here.

Yes, it is 10am and my room has warmed up to 25 DegC and time to open up all the doors and windows and let the sun stream in..... a few hours ago I was holding my second brew close to my chest. 

I've been told it was down to 2° in the village where I have a home. Normally the temp. drops to around 14° at night in January for about 2 weeks. Bobble hats and winter coats on! Of course no heating so the house must have been very cold. I'm not there but in France ( thank you Covid and Thai Immigration) where the temp. was at freezing point for the last 10 days. Back up to 7° today here.

I seem to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time for most of the last 12 months....but 2°? Perhaps not. Here I have heating!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

It has been darn cold ???? in the mornings this week...never thought I would need a heater in my house or space heater in my room in Pattaya ????????????

I've just bought a 20 baht woolly hat from the market for these cold early mornings. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

WE had 10 degrees Celsius a few days ago. Here's the best heater for you.

Heater.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1