Authorities crack down on used medical gloves racket in Pathum Thani

webfact

Authorities crack down on used medical gloves racket in Pathum Thani

By THE NATION

800_a719e6a819e520f.jpg?v=1610499158

A Pathum Thani warehouse owner was arrested for allegedly manufacturing and selling used medical gloves.

The Consumer Protection Police Division in cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raided a warehouse in Pathum Thani’s Khlong 7 subdistrict on Tuesday after receiving a tip-off that the establishment stored used medical gloves for the purpose of reselling.

gdj7dd9bdab9cb7j9dfhd.jpg

“Officials found 654 bags of used rubber and nitrile gloves and more than 30,000 empty boxes as well as repackaging equipment,” said FDA deputy permanent secretary Suphatra Boonserm.

“The estimated market value of these gloves is over Bt100 million.”

cjiad575ci8gb8fkjid9a.jpg

Police charged the warehouse owner with violating the Medical Device Act BE 2551 for manufacturing medical equipment without a licence and making and selling unsafe medical equipment. The maximum punishment is three years imprisonment or a Bt300,000 fine, or both.

akj659eaabhadeajhcgjd.jpg

Suphatra said the reselling racket has resurfaced following rising demand for gloves after the new wave of Covid-19 in Thailand. She urged consumers to verify the manufacturer before buying gloves.

“You can visit www.fda.moph.go.th to check the list of FDA approved manufacturers or call FDA hotline 1556,” she said. “You can also call 1556 to report illegal manufacturing, importing or selling of health-related products.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401152

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-13

• Sad 1

Many years ago I was sitting in the waiting room of a Chiang Mai hospital and in the distance spotted racks with dozens of surgical gloves drying in the sun. The sunshine would have killed a few germs I guess. It wouldn't surprise me if that is still being done in some places. Back then it wasn't unusual to need to request a new, unused needle for injections at clinics.  That changed after AIDS showed up on the scene.

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was wondering where and how he acquired such an amount

To get hold of such large quantities of these Gloves, he must have some Contacts in the Health Sector / contracts to take away the contaminated Gloves.

Scams this big usually have somebody big sitting on top of the pile.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

To get hold of such large quantities of these Gloves, he must have some Contacts in the Health Sector / contracts to take away the contaminated Gloves.

Scams this big usually have somebody big sitting on top of the pile.

My thoughts exactly 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police charged the warehouse owner with violating the Medical Device Act BE 2551 for manufacturing medical equipment without a licence and making and selling unsafe medical equipment.

Yet again no licence.... so no checks.