Driving licence renewal rules relaxed

webfact

Driving licence renewal rules relaxed

By THE NATION

800_7a88748df02e7d9.jpeg?v=1610502633

Those who need to renew their driver’s licence will not be required to undergo written or driving tests for now in a bid to curb Covid-19 from spreading, the Department of Land Transport announced on its Facebook page @PR.DLT.News on Tuesday.

The tests have been cancelled for people whose licence has expired as per the following:

> The holder of a licence that has expired more than a year ago but not exceeding three years to the dates between January 4 and March 31, 2021, will not be required to take a written test. However, they will need to pass a physical checkup and classroom training.

> The holder of a licence that has expired for more than three years to the dates between January 4 and March 31, 2021, will not be required to take a driving test. However, they will need to pass a physical checkup, classroom training and a written test.

The department will also accept required documents (a doctor’s certificate, classroom training certificate) that have recently expired to be usable when renewing a licence until March 31.

It has informed the Royal Thai Police that holders of expired licences can still use these for identification when required by police until March 31.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401154

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-13

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Waiting for the news update regarding to what happens to those of us who have a booking on the 12th Feb to renew their driving licenses, which now has become a new public holiday.

I think they have already received a moratorium on its renewal (until the end of march) because one can't take the test due to covid restrictions.

35 minutes ago, Whale said:
40 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Waiting for the news update regarding to what happens to those of us who have a booking on the 12th Feb to renew their driving licenses, which now has become a new public holiday.

I think they have already received a moratorium on its renewal (until the end of march) because one can't take the test due to covid restrictions.

Ok, but with time slots being fully booked months ahead already it doesn't really help. My license expired end of October 2020 and my appt is on the 12 Feb 2021, so go figure ????

45 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

and what is the "written driving test" ???

Multiple choice test on a test computer.

50 questions, at least 45 correct.

You find more in the pinned threads in the Motor forum.

Only needed as described in the OP.

Most foreigners do not come upon.

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Mine expired about 15 years ago so am I still good to go ...................LOL

Ditto...just haven't got round to it and was hoping for a quick fix

Edited by wombat

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Those of us with licences due to expire in next few months (May) are supposed to be doing what at this stage? 

I usually wait until a few days after it expires to get the extra year.

For some reason unknown to anyone I know they always renew for 2 or 5 years and then add as many additional days as required up until your next birthday, going 2 or 3 days after expiry which will be on your birthday will get you an extra year every time.

So if I were you I'd wait a few months, COVID will probably be gone locally by then and things may have returned to normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orangutan said:

How about the Peripheral Vision, Brake Reaction, Color Blind tests, still required?

-O

The article says you still have to do the physical tests which I assume are what you mentioned

• Like 1

"It has informed the Royal Thai Police that holders of expired licences can still use these for identification when required by police until March 31"

Not sure if i understand that correctly . . .

My license expired Nov2020 may i use it as a DL until March31 ?. as a Valid DL.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If those overdue have to do the normal physical tests and "classroom" (video watching) then I would expect it also applies to the normal extensions? But really not sure. I am confused.

It's very confusing. They say they don't want people coming in for written tests (to reduce potential transmission), but we still have to go to the office and do the classrooom learning stuff? Doesn't make sense at all.

Edited by 2530Ubon

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Why can't they issue new DLs online, or by post?

Perhaps because you have to do reaction and sight tests...hard to do them by post. And their license printing machines probably only accept the photo they take, not your left over passport/visa photos.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

I wonder what your insurance company policy is if you get in an accident with an expired drivers license?  Gov't rules probably don't align with the insurance company.  My drivers license expires in May and definitely going to ask the insurance company what are the rules. 

I have been involved in two accidents over the decades. Neither time did anyone ask to see my license. I called the insurance company they sent a guy out and he sent me on my way and handled everything with the police.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I have been involved in two accidents over the decades. Neither time did anyone ask to see my license. I called the insurance company they sent a guy out and he sent me on my way and handled everything with the police.  

I had a piece of steel that hit my windshield that either came from or was kicked up by a truck and the first thing Viriyah Insurance representative asked for is my drivers license.  Probably a good idea for me to ask some questions to them about expired licenses that can't be renewed due to COVID. 

IMG_4306.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

I have had 2 previous claims and am now awaiting parts for my 3rd claim and the insurance company has taken copies of my drivers licence as did the company doing the repairs.

My Thai licence expired in July last year as I was out of country and could not return and renew due to covid. I knew that I had a year to renew after expiry however I got myself an international drivers permit in the UK before I returned and for my current claim produced this along with my UK drivers licence.

10 hours ago, thepdru said:

Who cares to renew his license on time anyway ? I find ridiculous to live in Thailand to have the same troubles as in the west !

Well I care, and renewed my license in July. Renewing every 5 yrs is the norm in a lot of country's so why is it ridiculous?

41 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

41 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
11 hours ago, thepdru said:

Who cares to renew his license on time anyway ? I find ridiculous to live in Thailand to have the same troubles as in the west !

Well I care, and renewed my license in July. Renewing every 5 yrs is the norm in a lot of country's so why is it ridiculous?

I was to late to edit but I forgot to add here you don't need to renew for 5yrs 11 months and 29 days So in fact better than some Western countries. Or is it just a case of i can't be bothered coz i'm to LAZY?

On 1/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, mlkik said:

I have had 2 previous claims and am now awaiting parts for my 3rd claim and the insurance company has taken copies of my drivers licence as did the company doing the repairs.

My Thai licence expired in July last year as I was out of country and could not return and renew due to covid. I knew that I had a year to renew after expiry however I got myself an international drivers permit in the UK before I returned and for my current claim produced this along with my UK drivers licence.

Good ole Thailand! Nothing is ever the same, no matter govt officials, banks or insurance companies.