Tourism chiefs call for foreigners vaccinated against COVID-19 to be allowed to enter Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

Appologise for this. I went through a very harsh lockdown. 

Wow.  No fun.  Glad you made it through.  Something I wouldn't want to have to do.  One reason I'm not leaving Thailand until this requirement is gone!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:34 AM, richard_smith237 said:

If by this you mean you are outside of Thailand and wish to return to see your lady... 

You can now return at any time with a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt (depending on your Nationality).

You still have to apply for a Certificate of Entry and undergo quarantine (at your own cost).

Thanks Richard, yes mate but I think that only applies to married couples. Also the cost of quarantine for 14 days in both Bangkok and Sydney is way out of my  pension. My savings were ripped out of the bank I use for  my Thai trips by scammers, so I have started all over again. From what I have seen on videos, it is  $4000 AUD to Quarantine in Bangkok and even more once back in Sydney. That does include 3 meals a day, being picked up at the airport etc;

On 1/14/2021 at 8:15 AM, brianthainess said:

Allowed in ? Why? It is not proved scientifically that being vaccinated prevents one from being a carrier of covid.  

It's not proven that it's doesn't prevent it, either.  However all the data so far strongly suggests that all vaccines will reduce the amount of onward transmission. Since they provide a robust antibody response, stop most people getting sick at all and are 100% effective at preventing serious illness, they are almost certainly reducing the overall viral load which has a direct result on transmissibility.

It also depends which vaccine you're talking about. For most of the approved vaccines, the data hasn't been collected and/or analysed yet, which just means we can't say, one way or the other.

However for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine at least, a recent data analysis shows that it reduces transmission of the disease by 67%.

Analyses of PCR positive swabs in UK population suggests vaccine may have substantial effect on transmission of the virus with 67% reduction in positive swabs among those vaccinated.

Oxford coronavirus vaccine

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, Surelynot said:

But being vaccinated doesn't mean you are not capable of infecting people......or that is how I understand it.

I'm afraid that's a bit of a mis-characterisation of the actual situation. It's just that the data hasn't been collected yet, that would allow us to say definitively, one way or the other.

However as my previous post alludes to, the indications are that vaccinations will indeed reduce transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 10:55 AM, elgenon said:

You can still be a carrier.

Well, since none of the current vaccines (for coronavirus or anything else) are 100% effective that's almost certainly true for a certain (probably relatively small) percentage of vaccinees.

However by the same token it's highly probable that your chances of passing on the disease are greatly reduced after vaccination.

The only vaccine for which the data is in, is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which indicates a 67% reduction in transmission. Since the other approved vaccines all have higher efficacy than the O-AZ product they should almost certainly reduce transmissions to an even greater level.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Well, since none of the current vaccines (for coronavirus or anything else) are 100% effective that's almost certainly true for a certain (probably relatively small) percentage of vaccinees.

However by the same token it's highly probable that your chances of passing on the disease are greatly reduced after vaccination.

The only vaccine for which the data is in, is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which indicates a 67% reduction in transmission. Since the other approved vaccines all have higher efficacy than the O-AZ product they should almost certainly reduce transmissions to an even greater level.

You can be asymptomatic and still carry it.

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

You can be asymptomatic and still carry it.

Yes, but since it's proven that both the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Moderna vaccines significantly reduce asymptomatic (as well as symptomatic) infections then it should follow logically that they reduce rates of transmission correspondingly (and the available data also indicates this).

I've already provided a link talking about the data for the O-AZ vaccine.

The following is taken from a National Geographic article:

In Moderna’s phase 3 clinical trial, a diagnostic test before the second dose of the vaccine showed 89.6 percent of asymptomatic and symptomatic cases were prevented by the first dose.

That result is “really encouraging,” says John Swartzberg, clinical professor emeritus at University of California Berkeley’s School of Public Health. “That's going to make me feel, as a responsible person, that I can more safely be around other people.”

Covid-19 vaccine

If it is coronavirus, the vaccine will not be enough to avoid it.

Better to start coexist with the virus, stop creating anxiety, paranoia and fear in the population; the treatments are there, thousands of honest doctors are applying them in many countries and the cost is minimal.

Unless this mass vaccination campaign has other purposes, and I wouldn't rule it out.

16 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yes, but since it's proven that both the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Moderna vaccines significantly reduce asymptomatic (as well as symptomatic) infections then it should follow logically that they reduce rates of transmission correspondingly (and the available data also indicates this).

I've already provided a link talking about the data for the O-AZ vaccine.

The following is taken from a National Geographic article:

Covid-19 vaccine

From what I have heard from Fauci, the shots don't prevent transmitting. I never heard him say anything about a % decline in transmissibility. I would like it to be so. I want to be allowed back to the Royal Kingdom.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:59 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm afraid that's a bit of a mis-characterisation of the actual situation. It's just that the data hasn't been collected yet, that would allow us to say definitively, one way or the other.

However as my previous post alludes to, the indications are that vaccinations will indeed reduce transmission.

Yes, it is starting to look like viral load and transmission is reduced if you are vaccinated.

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

From what I have heard from Fauci, the shots don't prevent transmitting. I never heard him say anything about a % decline in transmissibility. I would like it to be so. I want to be allowed back to the Royal Kingdom.

Fauci has never said that. What he has said in the past (because it was true then) is that there wasn't enough data (and/or it hadn't been analysed yet) to say whether being innoculated prevented you from transmitting it or not, so that you should proceed from the assumption that you still can, because that's the safest thing to do.

As more and more data emerges though, all indications are that vaccinations do reduce the overall level of transmission - which is actually only logical, if you think about what vaccines are designed to do.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Fauci has never said that. What he has said in the past (because it was true then) is that there wasn't enough data (and/or it hadn't been analysed yet) to say whether being innoculated prevented you from transmitting it it not, so that you should proceed from the assumption that you still can, because that's the safest thing to do.

As more and more data emerges though, all indications are that vaccinations do reduce the overall level of transmission - which is actually only logical, if you think about what vaccines are designed to do.

And what about the 5% - 50% of the people where the vaccin does not work? (% depending on which vaccin)

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And what about the 5% - 50% of the people where the vaccin does not work? (% depending on which vaccin)

Quite obviously, that would mean they can still transmit the disease. However the 95% (or whatever other percentage you care to use) that don't get it are much, much less likely to be able to transmit it.

Latest data from the Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines, which I've already quoted above, shows an 89% and 67% reduction in transmission, respectively.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Quite obviously, that would mean they can still transmit the disease. However the 95% (or whatever other percentage you care to use) that don't get it are much, much less likely to be able to transmit it.

Latest data from the Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines, which I've already quoted above, shows an 89% and 67% reduction in transmission, respectively.

A reduction of transmission, especially for the top vaccins is of course a good thing, but not the end of the virus.

Like you, I want to travel again, I haven't seen my wife for a year, European winters are cold, but I am not optimistic about travelling again soon.

I see a lot of wishfull thinking on this forum...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Getting my first jab on Thursday when can I come back without being rinsed to death ????

There's a coincindence....so am I....and my second one on May 6th.     YAY!!!!!!!  ????????????

But I ask the same question....  ????????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Fauci has never said that. What he has said in the past (because it was true then) is that there wasn't enough data (and/or it hadn't been analysed yet) to say whether being innoculated prevented you from transmitting it or not, so that you should proceed from the assumption that you still can, because that's the safest thing to do.

As I said I am on your side. From your lips to god's ears as the saying goes. Stay healthy.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:39 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Getting my first jab on Thursday when can I come back without being rinsed to death ????

Got my first jab about 3 hours ago. Pfizer. Which means in 3 weeks I'll get the 2nd jab

23 hours ago, VBF said:

There's a coincindence....so am I....and my second one on May 6th.     YAY!!!!!!!  ????????????

But I ask the same question....  ????????

Why is the 2nd that far away? In the US, Pfizer is 3 weeks apart and Moderna is 4 weeks.

3 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Got my first jab about 3 hours ago. Pfizer. Which means in 3 weeks I'll get the 2nd jab

Why is the 2nd that far away? In the US, Pfizer is 3 weeks apart and Moderna is 4 weeks.

Probably because in the UK they switched from 3 or 4 weeks to 12 to enable more people to get the first jab. Recent research seems to suggest that the final effectiveness is better that way although that wasn't known at the time.  My 92 year old mother had Pfizer with a 3 week gap and I've had my first with AstraZeneca but my 2nd week be around 6 May. I think the results are similar with all 3 vaccines. 

It was a bit of a gamble but it seems to have paid off. 

• Thanks 2