Tourism chiefs call for foreigners vaccinated against COVID-19 to be allowed to enter Thailand

webfact

Trouble is the new RNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are the ones under threat of not being effective against new strains.  This is why the UK has just imposed mandatory PCR testing before entering - as initial data is suggesting the South African variant can evade the RNA vaccines.........meaning that all those vaccinated with Pfizer and Moderna jabs (so far) may have no protection or limited protection against the new South Africa strain.

And with many many new variants to appear in the coming months........ this is now a very big concern.    If all the people who had the initial Pfizer/Moderna vaccine are not protected against certain new variations........then it goes around and around and there will still be Covid restrictions in 2022.

Worrying times............and certainly no chance a vaccine certificate will get you free entry to anywhere..........  mandatory quarantines are here to stay for most of 2021, and maybe 2022 as well depending on how Covid mutates in the months ahead.

16 hours ago, hioctane said:

How is that any different from now except you don’t need a vaccine? The whole point was to remove quarantine.

Because vaccinated tourists could do a kind of soft quarantine, they wont be isolated 2 weeks in their hotel.

Tourists could walk around their hotel: go to the beach, restaurants, bars... for one week, and then they would be allowed to live Phuket.

Just now, Spellforce said:

Because vaccinated tourists could do a kind of soft quarantine, they wont be isolated 2 weeks in their hotel.

Tourists could walk around their hotel: go to the beach, restaurants, bars... for one week, and then they would be allowed to live Phuket.

But being vaccinated doesn't mean you are not capable of infecting people......or that is how I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Trouble is the new RNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are the ones under threat of not being effective against new strains.  This is why the UK has just imposed mandatory PCR testing before entering - as initial data is suggesting the South African variant can evade the RNA vaccines.........meaning that all those vaccinated with Pfizer and Moderna jabs (so far) may have no protection or limited protection against the new South Africa strain.

And with many many new variants to appear in the coming months........ this is now a very big concern.    If all the people who had the initial Pfizer/Moderna vaccine are not protected against certain new variations........then it goes around and around and there will still be Covid restrictions in 2022.

Worrying times............and certainly no chance a vaccine certificate will get you free entry to anywhere..........  mandatory quarantines are here to stay for most of 2021, and maybe 2022 as well depending on how Covid mutates in the months ahead.

Please, don't post misinformation.

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-study-vaccine-coronavirus-strain-3094dd3cc91b4a20780402476cdcb5ae

Study suggests Pfizer vaccine works against virus variant

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

But being vaccinated doesn't mean you are not capable of infecting people......or that is how I understand it.

In my original post, my idea was to vaccinated all the population in Phuket and control the movements of people leaving the province.

("control" vaccinated locals because they could still export the virus to other provinces... so other idea was to only allow those locals to go to areas where locals would be also vaccinated... ZERO risks wont be possible untill 2022, but something has to done before, so many thai people are starving now ???? )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Please, don't post misinformation.

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-study-vaccine-coronavirus-strain-3094dd3cc91b4a20780402476cdcb5ae

Study suggests Pfizer vaccine works against virus variant

That is a THEORETICAL STUDY..........nothing more.  

Try these links :

British scientists worried vaccines may not work on South African coronavirus variant: Media, Europe News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Vaccines may not work on South African coronavirus variant: UK scientists | Hindustan Times

15 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Well put. They just don't know yet.  Let's keep our fingers crossed they will work!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:52 AM, rott said:

Janner1 does not like that kind of talk (see the post before yours) you're lucky you didn't get a severe ticking off. 

Janner1 1 ( me ) reacted to one single sentence in Beau Thai ‘s post and no other aspect of it.

He stated that HE was ‘ pretty sure “ yet while there is room for a logical assumption there is NO current proof so how can he be pretty sure.

Further it is not a case of Janner1 does not like that kind of talk, it is that talk like that without proof is what has caused so many problems across the world.

It is time it was stopped and we all listened to what the scientists are telling us and interpret it correctly and honestly.

4 hours ago, RR2020 said:

Rrrright, so you are trying to refuting actual studies with speculative opinions.  Got it.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:54 AM, Chelseafan said:

Whilst you may be vaccinated it's still unknown whether you could be a carrier...

Meanwhile the economy is going to the dogs, no obstacles, if you have proof of the vaccine let them in same everywhere otherwise civilization as we know it is going down the pan. Has anyone been to Pattaya, Chaing Mai, Phuket, Samui etc? They are on their last legs, so much has been destroyed, so many businesses have closed and will not re open. Its a risk yes but one we have to live with.

19 hours ago, sirineou said:

what you mean. In their pockets? , clothing?  Hair? 

The CDC says :

"All COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States have been shown to be highly effective at preventing COVID-19. "

"Based on what we know about vaccines for other diseases and early data from clinical trials, experts believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine may also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19. "

" Based on what we know about vaccines for other diseases and early data from clinical trials, experts believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine may also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

But hey, what does the CGC know about these things. 

So you quote the CGC as saying vaccines can prevent getting infected, or worst case, reduce the seriousness of the disease.

So True!

But the CDC does not say - at least not in your quotes - that a vaccinated person can not pass on covid.

35 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Another thing just released is elderly are dyeing after being vaccinated, they never trialled the vaccine on the elderly,

Israel's vaccinated ~2m people, about 6x the original trial size. With the exception of frontline workers and younger people who took up spare appointments on standby, they were over sixty, and there have been very few adverse events.

(One bit of good news from that data: 30-60% protection 13-21 days after a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine.)

Edited by onebir

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

So you quote the CGC as saying vaccines can prevent getting infected, or worst case, reduce the seriousness of the disease.

So True!

But the CDC does not say - at least not in your quotes - that a vaccinated person can not pass on covid.

Can someone that does not have covid 19 pass it? I clearly says " highly effective at preventing COVID-19 " it does not say prevent the symptoms of covis, it says prevent covid. Then it goes on to say that it also helps reduce the symptoms.  " may also help keep you from getting seriously ill" that's the reduction of symptoms part. 

But since it only prevents vovid in 95% of the cases that lives a 5% chance that a vaccinated person cans still get covid and thus still transmit it.but if you get it it the vaccine can help reduce the symptoms ensuring a better outcome. 

That's where the statement that it is possible a vaccinated person can still transmit the virus.   

One has to differentiate possibilities from probabilities . In this instance posible with a a 5% probability factor. .

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

I think they need an international system for long haul Flights arrival Quarantine of 3 days + test and a Departure Test and Quarantine before going to departures. 

The UK has introduced a negative PCR requirement for travel to the UK, but how many people will be interacted with getting the test done in a unfamiliar location , and then no control of interactions from test until boarding the flight. Similar concept travelling the other way.  Just a box ticking exercise. 

They need to try and agree a standard approach at both ends of major travel routes. This start-stop, chop and change is hopeless!   A high density of Vaccinated travelers  would make this possible perhaps. It would also give travelers some confidence that the person next to you on a long haul flight had the same screening policy. Was IATA trying to get something organised?

They could retain slightly enhanced requirements for non-vaccinated folk. (there is likely to be some that want it, but may have a complicating allergy or the like...).

Still Dad will get the first half of his vaccination next week, would  love to go to Thailand, but won't be happening if there is a 14 day ASQ still in place. Alternatively going to zero restrictions on entry, may not inspire confidence in, for the destination ????

This virus is going to take a long time to dissipate, from the current scary situation. 

8 hours ago, nong38 said:

Meanwhile the economy is going to the dogs, no obstacles, if you have proof of the vaccine let them in same everywhere otherwise civilization as we know it is going down the pan. Has anyone been to Pattaya, Chaing Mai, Phuket, Samui etc? They are on their last legs, so much has been destroyed, so many businesses have closed and will not re open. Its a risk yes but one we have to live with.

Better to have what we've got rather than what's going on in the UK, US and Europe.  It's insane.  We're lucky to be here in Thailand.  They wouldn't be in such bad shape if they weren't so reliant on Tourism.  A problem they've admitted and are now trying to fix.

• Like 2

Just now, elgenon said:

You can still be a carrier.

shhhtt , if i can enter without asq , because i got my vaccination , i cannot complain . 1st get the numbers under control , since in most parts of europe they arent . If they work , we might still see high numbers next 2 months but the hospitals admissions and deaths should be down a lot . Not i do not care about the Thai population , but if we get vaccinated and it works ... we can get at least get a good cutback on the asq time, maybe even to 0 ( maybe a test will be enough ) .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sezze said:

shhhtt , if i can enter without asq , because i got my vaccination , i cannot complain . 1st get the numbers under control , since in most parts of europe they arent . If they work , we might still see high numbers next 2 months but the hospitals admissions and deaths should be down a lot . Not i do not care about the Thai population , but if we get vaccinated and it works ... we can get at least get a good cutback on the asq time, maybe even to 0 ( maybe a test will be enough ) .

So far, it's just a recommendation.  It's not law yet.  Chances are, even with a jab, you'll still need to go into ASQ.  As it's not been proven you can't get the virus if you have a jab.  And thus, still spread.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Surelynot said:

Currently there is no proof of this only surmise.

The thinking is that if the population is vaccinated, being Asymptomatic will stop or seriously reduce any infection so it will not matter so much if one is a carrier.

However the problems are the Covid and vaccine nay sayers, The fly me to the moon Russian Sputnik vaccine, and The Chinese chip ( someone else’s suggestion) masquerading as a vaccine, both of which are deemed by scientists to be around 50% effective and therefore useless.

So in essence the nay sayers should grow a pair of balls and take the same risk ( if there is one ) as every other person in the world who cares about his fellow human and get the vaccine, with one proviso, make sure the vaccine offered is not the two mentioned.

I was PCR tested for covid diag positive same day went into qurrantine 10 days only to be told after it was a mistake my example of how chaotic the whole thing is still after 1 year

If the test and my 1 cost €200 is <deleted> many new strains and different % of efficacy vaccines I hardly can believe anything about this anymore only if your not sick then off you go